The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-31, 06:36 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

A bit of help....please

I want to transfer some cassettes to my pc.Do i connect my cassette deck to my pc via the line in on the back of my pc??.I have magix audio lab 2004 to save the audio from the tapesin wav format .Eventually id like to convert the wav files i create from the cassettes to flac,will this be the right way to get a lossless recording.I really want to get this right as i dont really want to ask others to do it for me.I have recordings that id love to share from master cassetts but dont want to do it if it wont be right.Any simple steps on how to go from cassette the final stage of burning flac files ( as data dvd) to disc as i really will want to back up all transfers from my tapes.Take pity on a newbie who really wants to share if he can just get the right help/advice.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-31, 07:54 AM
15.60 GB/8.34 GB/0.53

Re: A bit of help....please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPPER
I want to transfer some cassettes to my pc.Do i connect my cassette deck to my pc via the line in on the back of my pc??.
Basically, yes. This would be the easiest way to get your tapes digitized, but don't expect great results. Proper tape digitizing includes playback head azimuth adjustment on the tape deck and using good quality Analog->digital converters, so if you really want to get the best quality out of your cassettes, you could send them to someone who has some experience in tape transferring (unless you are willing to invest in better equipement.)

Anyway, what kind of line-in connectors does your soundcard have? I'd guess 1/8'' miniplug. If that's the case, you'll need an adapter cable that has two RCA jacks on one end (connecting the line-out of your tape deck) and one 1/8'' miniplug jack on the other end(connecting the line-in of your soundcard). That way, you connect your tape deck and the soundcard. Then play a cassette and monitor the levels in your recording program. Make sure that the peaks are well below 0 dB, peaks around -4 dB are ok. Once you have set the levels properly, hit record in the recording program of your computer and then start playing back the cassette. For splitting the long WAV. into individual tracks, CD Wave is the best program, since it cuts on sector boundaries by default.
Old 2006-12-31, 08:04 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Im running my tape deck from headphone socket to line in on my pc.I have no intention on upgrading any equipment i have so im going to do the best with what ive got.Magix audio lab 2004 is what im used to for splitting audio files,so il stick with that as its easiest for me.My tapes might not be the envy of everyone else,but if this will give me a digital transfer then im happy with that.
Old 2006-12-31, 11:24 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

the headphone out of your tape deck should not be used, it will be much better sound if you use the line out of your cassette deck. Also, running from the headphone jack to your soundcard could potentially damage your computer.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-12-31, 12:02 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

I dont have any choice really,as i have no line out on my stereo as its only a cheap mini stereo.All i want to know is,will this give me a digital transfer,even if its not the best it could be??.I have master recordings that id like to share,if the way im doing the transfer will give a good enough transfer to convert to flac and trade then im happy.Put your own expert opinions aside for a second,will this allow me to trade the recordings once converted...will it be lossy or lossless.
Old 2006-12-31, 01:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

it will be lossless... crappy lossless. you could play it back on a speaker and record that with a $1 mic and that also would be "lossless" (meaning not mp3 or similar involved).

You can get a decent tapedeck off eBay for $20 or at least something that has a lineout from a yard sale for under $10. There is no excuse for not making a better transfer imo, if you love the music you owe it to yourself and anybody you're gonna share it with to do better imo.

Quote:
Old 2006-12-31, 01:31 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Ok i get your point,but personally couldve been more tactful about it.Anyway.what about with minidisc( i know thats wrong too) what is the best way to do that to pc.Sorry if i got it wrong,but just beacuse i dont know exactly what im doing,i feel like im being looked down on.Ok so it will be"crappy lossless",hopefully one day il know exactly what to do,but at the moment i dont.Although il be treated like a lepah for simply owning a minidisc,what would be the best way of transferring it to pc to make it acceptable to trade.
Old 2006-12-31, 01:51 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
I dont have any choice really,as i have no line out on my stereo as its only a cheap mini stereo.All i want to know is,will this give me a digital transfer,even if its not the best it could be??..
No. It will be an analog transfer.
The tape is analog - there is no possiblity of doing a digital transfer... that is only possible with digital recorders - like a DAT or one of those compact recorders that have digital outputs.

If you are sharing these tapes because no one has a recording of the event, you should transfer them correctly. Using a headphone output is a horrible way to connect to an input. The line inputs on consumer cards are calibrated for -10db, so you should use a line output that is calibrated at the same level. Nearly all consumer tape decks output -10db line level audio.

Your headphone jack will exhibit a high noise floor if you connect it to a line level input. Hiss city. If you raise the volume of the output to overcome the high hiss floor, dynamic range will swing WAY too wide to record with a line level input without clipping in several places. Turn the volume down to stop the clipping and you are back to having a HIGH noise floor.

HISSSSSssssssss

Get a decent deck.

Preferrably, you'd get a deck with adjustable azimuth so you can match the orginal record head's angle on the tape to avoid a muffled high end. Even if you don't, you should, at the very least, have a deck with line-out jacks.
Old 2006-12-31, 01:57 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

sorry pepper its just that you've got two threads on the same topic and I can't figure out what kind of advice you are looking for. I want to help as do others but it just keeps coming back to you doing it the way you would've if you never asked anybody.

for md you want to go from the stereo output (line, not headphone) to the line in of your soundcard, record with audacity or similar with healthy levels & no clipping. Newer computers often have a SB Audigy installed, but if you've got one of those soundcards that is built right to the motherboard even a bottom of the line SoundBlaster is better than that. They used to sell those for $20 a few years ago, probably less $ now. Sometimes you can find one of these cards in a discarded computer by the side of the road. Make sure you use the line in, not the mic in. Don't transfer cassettes to MiniDisc, that is not acceptable to trade, and of course use no mp3 or similar & 99% of the time it is tradeable (tho not necessarily optimal).

I know very well what it is like trying to get good sound on a low budget & cut corners when I was starting out so that is the main reason that I'm frustrated here.

anyhow, sorry if I came off harsh, peace man

Quote:
Old 2006-12-31, 01:57 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Ok i get your point,but personally couldve been more tactful about it.Anyway.what about with minidisc( i know thats wrong too) what is the best way to do that to pc.Sorry if i got it wrong,but just beacuse i dont know exactly what im doing,i feel like im being looked down on.Ok so it will be"crappy lossless",hopefully one day il know exactly what to do,but at the moment i dont.Although il be treated like a lepah for simply owning a minidisc,what would be the best way of transferring it to pc to make it acceptable to trade.
I assume you asked the question because you don't know the answer, right? When someone takes the time to give you the answer, why not attempt to learn from it?

You have no reason to be offended and you should be grateful for getting the information from people who took a lot longer to learn it than just asking on a message board. The work has been done for you. You only have to read.

No one looks down on you for not knowing. You are to be commended for asking. You cheat yourself by getting defensive when you get the correct answer instead of the answer you were looking for.

Strive to do it the right way, not the easy way.
Old 2006-12-31, 02:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
Strive to do it the right way, not the easy way.
I think that's gonna be my next signature

as for the rest, I couldn't have said it better

Quote:
Old 2006-12-31, 02:19 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

No worries five

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble