The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-05-11, 05:14 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Re: Invalid torrent file error troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
thanks spurfan - im getting the same error & looking into it as well.

i have a strong suspicion a setting was incorrectly set (not set at default) when the torrent metafile was created.
I didn't change any settings at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-05-11, 06:54 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshrk1 View Post
I didn't change any settings at all.
I hear ya.. we also noticed that each were made with TLH. (v2.4.1.16013)

these metafiles will not load in my utorrent 1.8.2 (build 14458).
I mean, they wont load into the program at all. I dont believe a tracker issue would cause this to occur.
I dont know exactly why yet..but many of us agree this is certainly the case.. so lets eliminate some variables.

- for a test, would you care to recreate and upload an exact same show (or two) using something else to create the .torrent file.
?perhaps the black keys show? thanks and good morning

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2009-05-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 2009-05-11, 07:25 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

For testing purposes I downloaded the .torrent files from the torrents below:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=72445 (Docabilly)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=72452 (Austin Lounge Lizards)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=72458 (The Black Keys)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=72460 (Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys)

All four .torrent files check fine with TLH but not with µTorrent that pops up an unable to load ... invalid torrent file error message. So there's no way to download these torrents using µTorrent (Windows OS). Unfortunately µTorrent doesn't tell what part of the .torrent file is considered invalid. ABC doesn't "like" the .torrent files too, MakeTorrent does ...

This could be an issue with TLH, of course. But the last release is running a long time now, and there hasn't been a single user's error report about its .torrent file creation function. Judging from some of the earlier posts changes were made to .torrent files in question. Never do this using a text editor! A .torrent file is an encoded txt file with checksums included. So just changing parts in most cases will damage the file. If you want to properly change things you have to create a new torrent file using the changed settings. mdshrk1, did you manually change your .torrent files after creation with TLH?

<edit>
After analyzing the .torrent files mentioned above manually I detected that three bytes were missing at the end of each file. This is not a TLH issue! It only can happen if you manually change the .torrent file with a text editor. (Btw, it's an issue with TLH's check function that doesn't get the error. This will be fixed with the next release.)
</edit>
Old 2009-05-11, 09:35 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Robert, that avatar is a crackup!

mdshrk, I think this error is because the torrent files were made with an invalid announce url - tradersden.org instead of thetradersden.org. I'm not sure how many were done this way. But, if you want to reupload some using the correct announce url, you can hit the on the one you are replacing and just sayin in the report "For Lynne" and I'll transfer the stats from the non-working one to the new one (the completes and completed by info).

Old 2009-05-11, 09:40 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Robert, that avatar is a crackup!

mdshrk, I think this error is because the torrent files were made with an invalid announce url - tradersden.org instead of thetradersden.org. I'm not sure how many were done this way. But, if you want to reupload some using the correct announce url, you can hit the on the one you are replacing and just sayin in the report "For Lynne" and I'll transfer the stats from the non-working one to the new one (the completes and completed by info).
I'll do that when I get home from work.

Tim

Quote:
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2009-05-11, 09:58 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
<edit>
After analyzing the .torrent files mentioned above manually I detected that three bytes were missing at the end of each file. This is not a TLH issue! It only can happen if you manually change the .torrent file with a text editor. (Btw, it's an issue with TLH's check function that doesn't get the error. This will be fixed with the next release.)
</edit>
and there you have it. never manually edit a torrent metafile. coolness.
Old 2009-05-11, 10:13 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

[quote=roann;1148736]For testing purposes I downloaded the .torrent files from the torrents below:

mdshrk1, did you manually change your .torrent files after creation with TLH?

/QUOTE]

I didn't touch anything. I'm not smart enough to do that sort of thing.

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble