The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-21, 03:53 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Re: Dudes!!!!!! HELP!!!!

Thanks Ted. Are the numbers used for Bit Torrent Tornado Start 6881 - End 6889 I just want to make sure to use the correct numbers before I save it. Also on Application from what I understand since I use BT Tornado, in the application box I am supposed to put Tornado1.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-21, 04:00 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

it also mentions a static ip address. do i need to do this before i start?
Old 2005-06-21, 04:12 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

The numbers you have are correct, as long as you haven't changed them in Bitornado. Those are the "port" numbers. In the "Application" box, just put anything you want - it's only a description so you know what program you forwarded those ports to. Protocol - you only need to enable for TCP. UDP is not used by bitorrent. You don't have to use a static IP - just enter the one you got from "ipconfig". If, in the future, you find that you can't up/download, do the "ipconfig" thing again and put the new IP in your router settings. It would be too much to try to explain how to make a static IP right here. Soon (hopefully), I'll be making a tutorial for TTD that will explain static IPs and a whole lot more.

I don't remember if you mentioned whether you have cable, DSL, or whatever. If cable, you probably won't have to worry about the IP too often. If something else, let me know and I'll fix you up with another method, if your IP changes too often.
Old 2005-06-21, 04:14 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

sorry, i have cable. i am going to try it now and let you know what happens. thanks.
Old 2005-06-21, 04:49 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

no it didn't work. i still cannot get a seed. it stays on the yellow status light and i still have no upload rate and my dl rate is single digits. i will run it for a while and see if it changes. thanks.
Old 2005-06-21, 05:17 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Ok, a quick checklist to make sure you've done everything:

BT Client

1) Check your BT client's settings and make note of the ports used.
2) Make sure you've given yourself enough upload/download bandwidth. Some clients allow you to change it.

Router

1) Check that you forwarded the same port(s) that your BT client is set to use. Enable those ports for TCP traffic.
2) Do the "ipconfig" thing and get your IP address and make sure it matches the one in the "forwarding" section.
3) Make sure to check the "Enable" box (or similarly named) in the forwarding section.

Software Firewall

If you're using a software firewall such as Windows built-in, ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, or McAfee (or another one), make sure you opened those same ports as for the router an also enable for TCP traffic.

If you still have problems, to make it easier to eliminate what is causing the problem, if you still have one, disable the software firewall and see if you can torrent. If not, re-enable it and bypass the router. If you can torrent, then THAT'S where the problem is. If you still can't, turn off the software firewall AND disconnect the router. If it doesn't work, then your client is the problem.

If none of that works, we'll try something else.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, make sure you're trying to get a show that actually has a seed. I'd try downloading a very popular one that has four or five seeds (or more) and lots of leechers. Once you get it working, then quit and go grab the one you want.
Old 2005-06-21, 06:47 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I will try to answer each of your questions, but there are some I do not have an answer for.

BT Client
not sure about the settings. they are the default settings, as far as i know
i haven't changed or messed with bandwidth

Router hope this works
Old 2005-06-21, 06:58 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

here is the page from linksys
Attached Files
File Type: doc Applications.doc
( 186.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 2005-06-21, 07:00 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

i have to head out. i will contact you when i return later. i appreciate all of the help.
Jesse
Old 2005-06-21, 08:40 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Your problem is the IP address. Go to Command Prompt and type "Ipconfig" without the quotes and get your IP address. Enter the last digits into the settings box in your router. It shold be a 3-digit number between 100 and 254.

If you have the default installation of your BT client, then everything else I mentioned should be ok.
Old 2005-06-22, 09:35 AM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I am trying to figure out where the setting box is. Will it be available on the website?
Old 2005-06-22, 10:05 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

It's the page you posted. Didn't you get that from your router?

EDIT: MY mistake. I just re-read your previous post. To get to the settings for your router, open a browser and in the address filed, type: http://192.168.1.1 and enter admin for both name and password. You'll now be in your settings for the router.
Old 2005-06-22, 10:06 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The Setting Box he is talking about is the one in the Gaming tab where you put in the IP you want the ports forwarded to.

Old 2005-06-22, 10:11 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
The Setting Box he is talking about is the one in the Gaming tab where you put in the IP you want the ports forwarded to.
Yes. I thought the page he posted was a screenshot from his router. Apparently it's from Linksys' site.

spursfan - this is really simple. It really is, but if you're new to it, then it can seem a little complicated. Don't get discouraged, we'll get you fixed up soon. If you use ICQ, AIM, or MSN, contact me there and this will move along a lot faster. I know you're probably puilling your hair out by now
Old 2005-06-22, 03:31 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

This is what I have
Attached Files
File Type: doc Port Range.doc
( 33.0 KB, 5 views)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble