The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-26, 10:46 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

DVD Burner specific question

I am contemplating buying a DVD burner so I can clear a lot of space at once instead of stockpiling tons of CD-Rs... I have no more room for them...

Below is a link to a DVD burner that I can get at Wal-Mart (only place I'm going to get one right now). I need to know if it is good for single-layer DVD-Rs even though it says dual-layer. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I have no knowledge of these things. I just have a CD burner.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...&xsell=3587535

The reason I'm asking about the HP drive is because I have an HP, and it's a good price for me. There's also one that's $90, but I can't tell if it's internal or external. I'm guessing external, because it doesn't show it at an angle like the one linked above.

I may not even get one, because I don't want to spend a lot of money (I'm cheap and trying to save). But if I get one, I will probably just stop in and buy this one and get a 30-pack of DVD-Rs. I just don't want to end up buying single-layer if this thing won't support anything but dual-layer...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-26, 10:52 AM
Pilot of the storm
13.97 GB/18.18 GB/1.30

Re: DVD Burner specific question

Dual Layer burners will burn single layer DVD blanks as well as CDRs.

the nice thing about the drive you listed is that is has the "LightScribe" capability. With the right blank media, you can actually burn a label on the disc, no need for sticker labels or magic marker on the discs.
Old 2005-03-26, 10:55 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Thanks. Okay... if I have 150 dollars on Sunday, I'm getting this.
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-03-26, 10:56 AM
Pilot of the storm
13.97 GB/18.18 GB/1.30

check my edited post
Old 2005-03-26, 10:58 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Yeah, I like that. It will help me when I have a lot on there and I won't have to go through it and find out. I can mark it right away instead of forgetting with my bad short-term memory...
Old 2005-03-26, 06:37 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i know some people aren't fond of shopping online, but you can get a nice Sony Dual Layer DVD burner for around $60. in light of the price difference, you may want to consider shoppping online as it can save you a bundle of clams.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble