The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Do remasters fit with the site's mission statement?
Yes 13 43.33%
No 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-20, 04:23 AM
Kung Poo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

do remasters fit with the site's mission statement?

i don't think these remasters are in line with TTD's mission statement at all. they fit better at DIME, but not here (if the mission statement is serious).

it seems to me that "remasters" are nothing more than an opportunity for nerds to announce their brilliance at twisting knobs to a worldwide audience.
we've all got a graphic equalizer on our hi-fi, ain't we? why do we need these social retards to do it for us?

in my opinion this site should lead the way and ban remasters entirely.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-09-20, 07:10 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: do remasters fit with the site's mission statement?

everybody tell us what you think about this

also don't say some guy does good remasters unless you've heard the before and after comparison. most of it is pure rubbish.

only a couple guys got a good reputation

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-09-20, 08:59 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Not going to do any good. Those chronic re-master-bators will continue to
tinker and not mention it when they post.......
Old 2009-09-20, 09:21 AM
Kung Poo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

thanks for the links to previous debates.

it seems that this question has always provoked strong opinions.

what i hate most about it is the way that the guys that do these remasters feel that they just have to share them with the world. i just saw a thread on this site where a dude calling himself TheFace07 found it "personally" offensive that someone suggested his remaster needed more bass... he was then accused of sharing for the sake of his own ego and he apparently lost his mind over the "insult".... does this website need to provide a stage for self-obsessed primadonnas like that?
Old 2009-09-20, 12:01 PM
817.37 MB/2.86 GB/3.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
agree! making a bad situation much worse!!

Those in the know should know who to avoid and which versions are worth collecting.
read this thread: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=29038
Old 2009-09-20, 12:26 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

Ideally we should trade as raw a recording as is available...if someone wants to rumple n fetish them on their own so be it.....
If a show has been worked over some kinda way it is only correct to LOUDLY announce that that is what is posted is not the raw recording.....and pride is a sin no matter the guise, so fuck the prideful dinks.
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2009-09-20, 04:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
I don't think people will do that because the bad ones only do it for the praise, right?

using st5 checksums it is possible to verify exact identical audio content and effectively police ttd content. there is an archive of fingerprints in the inactive forum. Search the thread titles of that forum by date in YYYY-MM-DD format to view checksums of known sources.

we've busted guys faking txt files like this many times

everybody can help us keep the trade pool clean by using the little red 'report this post' triangle (located at the bottom-left of every post). we're relying on the hardcore collectors of each band to keep us informed what is trash and what is not. its a great way to give back to the community (and yourself!).

There has to be a remasters 'safe list' for people who have demonstrated excellent ability when it comes to retouching shows. That having been said we will not sleep until every raw tape has been found!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-09-20, 07:53 PM
50.92 GB/84.45 GB/1.66

How about banning any mastering and only allowing raw unedited recordings here?

This does not make sense to me. When a particular recording is in need of a little more work to sound its best, I don't see a problem with it. This "safe list" idea would be nice though. Sure, it would be best if all the work happened up front before initially circulating the recording but that doesn't always happen and sometimes a remaster is a very good thing.
Old 2009-09-20, 08:03 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

However, in the same light, taking a perfectly good recording and turning up the bass then putting it back out as a "remaster" is completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2009-09-20, 08:19 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaninord
How about banning any mastering and only allowing raw unedited recordings here?
You're missing the point. It's one thing for the taper to tweak their recording VS some attention seeking, clueless leech, eq'n it and seeding it as a Remaster OR some bullshit company tweak'n and selling it as a Silver.

There will always be a swath of the population who will buy Silvers because they don't know about torrent sites and it comes with fancy packaging/artwork, but these are the same people who don't understand what's wrong with mp3.

What leechs do with something once they get it can't be controlled, but when a taper shares their Master recording, there's zero reason to allow Un-Authorized Remasters to pollute the pool.
Old 2009-09-20, 10:26 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Agreed.

Mastering is a different beast. Whatever tweaking done by the taper, that IS the original source.

Although if anyone wants the raw source, bathroom breaks & all, just lemme know. One of my biggest torrents at DIME got to live the bathroom run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2009-09-21, 08:24 AM
10.88 GB/12.78 GB/1.17

As long as people clearly say that there shows are remastered, I think it is ok.

In order to avoid confusion with the original source, I would suggest to forbid including the original artwork.
Old 2009-09-21, 11:06 AM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
everybody tell us what you think about this

also don't say some guy does good remasters unless you've heard the before and after comparison. most of it is pure rubbish.

only a couple guys got a good reputation

well I must chime in here,

I wonder if I have any kind of reputaion to speak of.

I have done about 35 reworks most with the tapers approval.

I spend hours and hours cleaning the original of digi noises and cuts then I spend more hours listening and re-listening and comparing samples to the original for an improvement. When I feel I have something worthwhile I send samples to the taper for their approval and do not post unless they give their blessing. sometimes all I do is clean out the bad noises and then re-post as there is no need to listen to clicks and mic rustle if they can be removed without hurting the music.

I have done reworks from vinyls and pressed cds that have been ruined by lables in their attempt to "ehem" improve the content but most of my reworks have been approved by the taper.

I also make it very clear that my posts have been sonically altered so there is no way anyone can download one of mine and say hey this isnt the original because if they spent even a second reading the description they would have read the warning.

I use Adobe Audition with another top notch program called Izotope Ozone for the bulk of my enhanced versions. this is not a simple eq job and cannot be compared to twisting some knobs on a stereo which is not the same as using Izotope which also does mid/side processing .

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

My only intention is to improve the listening experience. Not everyone simply collects recordings for shelving and not everyone is interested in hearing a flat one dimensional recording and If I can pump some life into what would other wise be a limited listen i.e. once or twice then shelved and make it something you would want to listen to all the time then I see no reason not to.

I have an Frank Marino rework that is so good you'd think it was from another source but all thanks go to the taper so there is no confusion with my posts at all. Its running at jamtothis, I would have posted it here but why do I want to put up with people who will bad mouth it without even hearing the results.

Go to dime http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=21208 and look over my posts and check out what people have said and if you have a mind to prove me wrong download a track or to and see for yourself its its shit or not as just saying it is doesnt make it so.
Old 2009-09-21, 02:29 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

I personally have a few shows that would/did sound like total sludge before being remastered by some BUT to get back to the actual question in post #1, I do think that having remasters at TTD does conflict with the Mission statement here

let other sites handle remasters BAN THEFACE!
Old 2009-09-21, 04:20 PM
Kung Poo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtiphi View Post
this is not a simple eq job and cannot be compared to twisting some knobs on a stereo which is not the same as using Izotope which also does mid/side processing.
So does the Waves Stereo Imager, 10 seconds of sliding things around and you have a different recording that you could just enjoy in your own bedroom... except for the fact that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtiphi View Post
I have an Frank Marino rework that is so good you'd think it was from another source.
for some weird reason you remaster freaks just can't stop your left hands from finding out what your right hands are doing.
(by which i mean: you can't help yourself from telling the whole world how good you are with a piece of software... and that is sharing for all the wrong reasons (ie: giving because you get something out of giving)).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions