The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-13, 12:11 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Static IP Question

OK......

You have an External IP. This is the one assigned to your home by your ISP. It may change every couple of days. That doesn't matter. It is the one that any website will send information to. It is the one that shows up on the Peers List.

Then, there are the IPs that your computers have that your router knows about. These are your Local IPs. They look something like 192.168.1.xxx When information comes into your router, it needs to know which computer to send the information to. When your computer asks for info, it sends a request to your router. Your router then sends the request to outside. When the info comes back in, your router knows who to send it back to because it knows what Local IP asked for it and it sends it to *your* computer, not your kids or SOs are anyone else.

So...

The Internet > External IP (from ISP) > Your Modem > Your Router > Local IP > Your Computer

You need to set your Local IP by following the instructions at portforward.com . You then need to set a port number in uTorrent. Then you need to forward that port to your Local IP in your router.

Here are the full instructions for forwarding your ports for uTorrent and DI-524: http://portforward.com/english/route...4/Utorrent.htm

Note, halfway down the page it says the following:

To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Take a look at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below.

DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP

HopOttin, I split your thread out to here because it's easier to help one person per thread.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-13, 01:32 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferals
I went to the D-Link firewall setup:

It asks for

Source: IP Range Start ____ and End_____

Destination Start___ and End ___ and Tcp____-________

What am I suppose to put here???

My Ip config IP address for both start and end on both? And what about the tcp? When I disable my Dhcp I cannot connect to the internet.
What numbers do I put here. I already checked out the dhcp page. This is the firewall page.
Old 2006-09-13, 01:34 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
What I did it went to the DHCP settings and gave it a high range not used by any of my computers (they are all set up static) - 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 . Or, I could have entered every computer in that same tab to use a static IP. But, the way my D-Link is, if I enter a range, then if a computer that doesn't have a static IP set up tries to connect to the router, it will give it an IP in that DHCP range and not one outside of that range. (n the WAN tab, I have it set to PPPoE.)
I see the pppoe setting but I though I was to set the static mode here??
Old 2006-09-13, 01:36 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
What I did it went to the DHCP settings and gave it a high range not used by any of my computers (they are all set up static) - 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 . Or, I could have entered every computer in that same tab to use a static IP. But, the way my D-Link is, if I enter a range, then if a computer that doesn't have a static IP set up tries to connect to the router, it will give it an IP in that DHCP range and not one outside of that range. (n the WAN tab, I have it set to PPPoE.)
On the dhcp page the start and end were set to 192.168.0.100 and end 192.168.0.199 so I set my static ips to .200 and .201 so no conflict.

I just need to know what to do with the fire wall page inputs???
Old 2006-09-13, 01:41 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
OK......

You have an External IP. This is the one assigned to your home by your ISP. It may change every couple of days. That doesn't matter. It is the one that any website will send information to. It is the one that shows up on the Peers List.

Then, there are the IPs that your computers have that your router knows about. These are your Local IPs. They look something like 192.168.1.xxx When information comes into your router, it needs to know which computer to send the information to. When your computer asks for info, it sends a request to your router. Your router then sends the request to outside. When the info comes back in, your router knows who to send it back to because it knows what Local IP asked for it and it sends it to *your* computer, not your kids or SOs are anyone else.

So...

The Internet > External IP (from ISP) > Your Modem > Your Router > Local IP > Your Computer

You need to set your Local IP by following the instructions at portforward.com. You then need to set a port number in uTorrent. Then you need to forward that port to your Local IP in your router.

Here are the full instructions for forwarding your ports for uTorrent and DI-524: http://portforward.com/english/route...4/Utorrent.htm

Note, halfway down the page it says the following:

To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Take a look at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below.

DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP

HopOttin, I split your thread out to here because it's easier to help one person per thread.
I did all of this in my router. Port forward doesn't have a page on the firewall inputs like I showed above. I think this is the only thing holding me up!
Old 2006-09-13, 02:21 PM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I officially surrender (waving white flag) using the Linksys. I either get internet drops using Linksys and have no firewall! OR Use D-link and be firewalled with no internet drops.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble