The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-19, 08:13 AM
121.75 GB/100.35 GB/0.82

Audio Video Sync

I JUST GOT A NEW POOTER AND WAS WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PROGRAM TO DELETE THE AUDIO AND SYNC IT WITH A BETTER SOURCE. I HAVE WINDOWS XP, 1.6 PROCESSOR, 512 RAM
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-19, 10:19 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Capturing Video from VHS > DVD

from the FAQ:
Quote:
7. Audio ripped from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted.
All digital video codecs use lossy audio compression schemes, and therefore audio extracted from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted for seeding here. The exception to this rule is that DVDs which have been authored with uncompressed LPCM audio are allowed to have the audio stream extracted, compressed to a lossless format, and seeded. This rule does not apply to audio taken from VHS sources, which is permitted with the caveat that no cleaner or higher fidelity version circulates. Audio from VCD and SVCD sources is explicitly prohibited as it uses MPEG layer 2 compression, a less complex form of the shunned mp3 codec. Note that ac3 Dolby Digital audio is also lossy in comparison to the original uncompressed version, and is likewise prohibited for audio-only seeding at The Traders Den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylz
I'm transferring them to DVD like this. My university has these dumping machines in the edit suites, not sure what they're called or what the make/model is (I can find out). Basically I pop the VHS into the machine which is connected to a PC via firewire and I capture video in Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5. The format I capture in is uncompressed AVI... I'll hafta check it out but I'm pretty sure it would be PCM 44khz or whatever. I'll confirm this when I have my first attempt if need be.
*sounds* like its a pro-editing machine, so you'll get much better quality than with say a $100 VCR... without make/model, i'm not positive, but thats what i'm guessing.

Quote:
for case 1 ripping to audio
type of camera > VHS(M) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
i personally prfer to split lineage into "Source" and "Transfer"...for the above, it would be something like:

SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > VHS(M)
TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

Quote:
for case 2 ripping to audio
camera > miniDV(M) > VHS(1) > firewire > AVI (capture device and premiere pro) > WAV (export wav in premiere pro) > FLAC > CDR(1)
SOURCE: AUD CameraMake/Model > miniDV(M)
TRANSFER: miniDV(M) > ? > VHS(1) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav > "program used to create the flacs" > flac

the "?" above can be filled in if you know the steps taken to go from miniDV>VHS(1)...otherwise, just leave a "?".

for trading purposes, i would leave it in data format [in this case flac] and don't forget to create checksums for the flacs and included a detailed info text.

hope this helps...yer planning on seeding this in DVD format tho, and not just audio right?
Old 2005-08-19, 10:22 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

oh, its also nice to note whether it was shot Handheld or on a Tripod.

post anymore ?s you have here and we'll try and help...cheers!
Old 2005-08-19, 10:25 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Audio Video Sync

you'll need a video editing suite. there might be some folks around who could point you towards a "decent" freeware app, but i'm unfamiliar with these [you can search videohelp.com or doom9.org for more info]

as far as the higher end editing software for PC...Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, and Pinnacle are all good, and can definitely do what yer needing.
Old 2005-08-19, 10:36 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Go with Sony Vegas Video 6b. It's very easy to use. Premiere is another good choice. Stay away from Pinnacle like the plague.

Your gonna need an authoring program when your done to put it on DVD. Go with Sony DVD Architect 3B. Easy to use and seamless with Vegas. I personally don't like Adobe Encore.... but others seem to like it. Encore is more customizable but much more difficult to use for a beginner.

Your also gonna need to do some research into how to get it from what format it's in to one you can use in any of the programs above. For instance if it's on DVD already. You might look into something that demultiplexes so that you don't have to reencode twice. If it's a VHS there are other scenarios.

Good Luck
Old 2005-08-19, 12:52 PM
121.75 GB/100.35 GB/0.82

Hey Thanks. What So Wrong W/ Pinnacle? Also I Tried Sony Vegas Way To Hard For Me To Use. I Figured That Using Nero Suite Was The Closest To What Im Doing But I Still Would Be Like A Split Second Off. Pinnacle Kinda Looks Easy And So Does Premiere. But What You Are Saying Is They Wont Transcode Any Other Media Other Than Dvd .vob's?

Sorry For The Caps I Work In Cadd All Day
Old 2005-08-19, 01:09 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

If I remember correctly premiere will not use .vob. I know Vegas doesn't. I think DVD Lab is one of the few that does. I would demultiplex the .vob to .m2v and .wav to use. This will NOT cause any degradation of the quality.
Pinnacle has a bad reputation for having poor encoding codecs. maybe that has changed not sure. I know that Vegas and Premiere use the same one Mainconcept, which has the reputation as being the best.
Old 2005-08-19, 10:00 PM
18.13 GB/10.50 GB/0.58

Excellent. Thanks!

What about the actual DVDs... I've been told to encode the video to MPEG-2 and leave the audio as wav then combine the two when I author the DVD+R.

What would the source/transfers be for that?

TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav and mpeg2 > adobe encore > dvd+r(m)

both the wav and mpeg2 were exported from premiere... is it okay to group them like I have.

BTW. The vids are of local Brisbane and Perth (australian) metal and hardcore bands. I can offer them if there is any interest.
Old 2005-08-20, 07:54 AM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

http://digitalfaq.com
is a very good place. So are videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com
There is a lot to makeing DVD's, but the equipment you discribe sounds very good. Is there an option to record the audio in LPCM, that sounds like the best plan.
As far as ripping the audio, DVD's are 48 Hz, and CD's are 44 Hz, so you will have to convert the audio. There are programs that will do that, and programs that will rip the audio. That's actuley called "demuxing" (or something close) when seperation the audio from a DVD. Premiere might do both.
I recomend trolling around those sites for a while.
Thanks Mike
Old 2005-08-20, 08:32 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylz
What about the actual DVDs... I've been told to encode the video to MPEG-2 and leave the audio as wav then combine the two when I author the DVD+R.
Correct.

Quote:
What would the source/transfers be for that?

TRANSFER: VHS(M) > "DumpingMachine" Make/Model > firewire > Premiere Pro > wav and mpeg2 > adobe encore > dvd+r(m)

both the wav and mpeg2 were exported from premiere... is it okay to group them like I have.
you can...i don't see it as necessary though, becuse you'll need to list the DVD's Attributes anyway [video and audio bitrates], which'll contain the info...check around in the DVD Torrents for examples of "good lineage notation" [look for Outpostnorth or Team Hood seeds, they always have good detailed info/lineage]...

here's an example of a show i recently transferred/authored and am seeding:

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
VIDEO --> NTSC - 4:3 - 8Mbps CBR <============the mpeg2 specs
AUDIO --> LPCM [16bit/48kHz] - 1.536Mbps <==========there's yer wav info

SOURCE:
AUDIO --> AUD Studio Projects C4's [FOB ~30ft from stage] > Edirol UA5 [Oade DigiMod] > Sony PCM-M1 [16bit/48kHz]
By: AAR.oner & Untor

CAM 1 --> Canon XL1 [ SP / Frame mode ] -- Tripod
By: AAR.oner

CAM 2 --> Sony DCR-TRV350 -- Handheld
By: Allan Y. [cheers Allan!]

TRANSFER:
AUDIO --> Sony PCM-M1 [DAT Master] > Edirol UA5 [via USB] > Audacity > .wav
VIDEO --> Master [via Firewire] > Final Cut Pro 4 [capture/edit] > Compressor > DVD Studio Pro 3 [menu/build] > DVD Video_TS

Quote:
BTW. The vids are of local Brisbane and Perth (australian) metal and hardcore bands. I can offer them if there is any interest.
uh, hell yeah!!! what bands?
Old 2005-08-22, 01:24 AM
18.13 GB/10.50 GB/0.58

so far....
brisbane metal bands Empyrean, Minus Life, Alarum (i think they're from brisbane)

unsure of what hard core bands from perth yet. I made contacts with this guy that used to film shows on a regular basis. He has a box of VHS under his bed. He's just gonna lend em to me and i'll DVD-arize them!

I'm trying to form a group of australian heavy music tapers and traders. If anyone is interested (looking for australian members!) give me a buzz and i can send some info.

[email protected]
Old 2005-08-22, 07:58 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Dylz--lookin forward to hearin what's in that box

have you checked out MetalPrincess's site...everything metal
http://www.metalbootlegdatabase.com/invboard/index.php
Old 2005-08-23, 03:38 AM
18.13 GB/10.50 GB/0.58

yeah. i'm a member there. good site.
Old 2005-08-24, 03:38 PM
0.99 TB/1.05 TB/1.06

is this very complicated? I was thinking of attempting to sync the Island Tour SBD with the videos. I've never tried it before and have never used a video editing software package. For those who have done it, is it impossible for a beginner to accomplish this?
Old 2005-08-25, 01:08 AM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It's not so hard. In Vegas, you would simply nudge the audio track back and forth til you found the sweet spot. Then render the audio and re-author with the video track. The hardest part will be importing the DVD into Vegas. I usually use DVD decryptor for that to extract long streams for audio and video.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble