The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-01-26, 08:57 PM
87.27 GB/71.39 GB/0.82

Question Not very fast uploading

First I'd like to say thanks to all the people uploading shows. I have found some great stuff and I am itching to return the favor with some of my masters, but I need to learn how to do it properly and then I'll get them going. But my question is about upload speed. I was finally was able to get the port opened for Utorrent on my router, and the tester on Utorrent shows that the "network is configured correctly". I have AT&T DSL 6.0 Extreme, a wired connection. I am getting sometimes up to 600 KB/s down, but I seem to only have a maximum of about 50KB/s up. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I can do to make it faster? All of the settings in uTorrent are at unlimited that I could tell. Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-26, 09:32 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Not very fast uploading

Yes, it's normal. Uploading is almost always hell of a lot slower than your download speed. 50KB/s is decent for DSL, I believe. Back when I had it like 5 years ago, it's fastest upload speed was 20KB/s.

You can test your connection here to make sure it's an issue with the connection and not BitTorrent.

http://www.speedtest.net/
Old 2011-01-27, 06:20 AM
87.27 GB/71.39 GB/0.82

Thanks for the info on speedtest. I got about 4.5 down, .30 up. So I guess if I am getting .50 up, that is what I should expect. Just didn't know if I had a setting wrong.

Thanks again!
Old 2011-01-30, 01:37 AM
174.59 GB/581.20 GB/3.33

It's all down to the slowest link in the chain: PC, connection from PC to router (ie. your network card), connection from router to ISP (ie. your modem and subscription), ISP, connection from ISP to larger network. Of course, for a single torrent, it also depends on how many people are up- and downloading.

The things to check are the network card and your subscription, although a network card of even a few years old probably is still fast enough.

I am on cable, and I have a maximum of 2Mb/s download and 500 Kb/s upload. Interesting comparison, by the way: I pay 30 euros / 40 dollars per month for that. How does that compare to other parts of the world? I am in Holland.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
dsl upload speed