The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-06, 11:44 PM
Lord of the Thighs
103.04 GB/435.36 GB/4.23

Question Mac Tutorial

Hi,
I finally found a silver in my collection (Bad Religion, "Epitaph" 1992 Paradiso, Amsterdam - Living Legend Records in the blue jewel case) that no one seems to have seeded and I would love to contribute to the community. However, I am a little unsure of how to go about making the torrent correctly on my Mac. I am running 10.4.8, have xact, and I *think* I know what to do, but if some one could post a quick tutorial, that would be great - I couldn't find it in a post here...

I am also posting the frequency and spectrum (Audacity) screenshots - do these look okay?

Thanks...
mattstrike
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-07, 07:20 AM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

Re: Mac Tutorial

For a kick off you need to go Audacity->Preferences->Spectograms->Display and set the Maximum Frequency to 24000.

Perform multiple (at least 3) rips of the disc with xACT and make an MD5 of the first one. if all the subsequent extractions pass the MD5 of the first then you're as sure as you can be that your rip is good. If you have a PPC Mac, Exact Audio Copy runs perfectly under Virtual PC. If you have an Intel Mac you can boot into XP with Boot Camp or use Parallels.

As to creating the torrent, you'll need to say which bit torrent client you're using but this is the guide as to what your torrent should contain. I always run any text file I create through LineBreak if it's for cross-platform consumption, selecting the DOS option.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2006-12-07, 10:02 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

As ffooky said, rip the tracks from the CD using xACT (go to the util tab and select CD Extraction, drag/drop the files from your CD there and then hit Execute). You will end up with a bunch of .wav files. Then, go to the encode tab and drop those wav files in the box, select flac, and Encode. You will now end up with a bunch of flac files. Then, go to the checksum tab, drop the flac files in that box, click Checksums, say you want to make them (not verify them) and hit Submit. Make a text file that has all the info about the show, including the lineage (in this case "Silver CD > xACT > wav > xACT > flac") and I also like to open the fingerprints file and paste them on the bottom there (just open the ffp file with the same text editor). Now, in your folder you should have a text file, the fingerprint file, and the flac files (you don't need the wav files anymore). To make a torrent using Azurues, see this FAQ. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 2006-12-07, 11:19 AM
Lord of the Thighs
103.04 GB/435.36 GB/4.23

Hey,
Thanks you two. I appreciate the help.
Did the sepctrum look good, or did those images not really tell you anything?

One more thing - Lynne, you mention converting them to WAV files, is converting them to AIFF (which I understand to be native to Mac OS) and different? They are both lossless, correct? Or is the issue cross-platform?

Thanks again.
(PS - I am using Transmission and Bit Torrent as clients...)
Old 2006-12-07, 11:56 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstrike
Hey,
Thanks you two. I appreciate the help.
Did the sepctrum look good, or did those images not really tell you anything?

One more thing - Lynne, you mention converting them to WAV files, is converting them to AIFF (which I understand to be native to Mac OS) and different? They are both lossless, correct? Or is the issue cross-platform?

Thanks again.
(PS - I am using Transmission and Bit Torrent as clients...)
It wouldn't matter if you converted to aiff or to wav, however, I think the recent version of xACT will only convert to wav, not aiff, because of some issues xACT was having. I forgot to mention that after you convert to wav, you will get a window from xACT that tells you if everything extracted correctly. I always copy that window and then save the contents as a .log file.

You may want to look at this thread which explains all the steps: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ighlight=guide

Old 2006-12-07, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Thighs
103.04 GB/435.36 GB/4.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I think the recent version of xACT will only convert to wav, not aiff, because of some issues xACT was having.
Lynne - I am using xACT 1.58 and it is giving me no probs when converting to AIFF. FYI.

Thanks again for the info...
Old 2006-12-07, 04:31 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

a fwiw...i prefer extracting to .wav over .aiff since its cross-platform compatible, and then you can include a .wav checksum with the file set

and always include the extraction log as Lynne pointed out
Old 2006-12-12, 06:49 PM
Veteran of 'Sharingthegroove'
431.14 GB/446.49 GB/1.04

Got a Mac question.

I'm fairly knowledgable about all things Mac and music compression/extraction generally, however, I've recently run across file sets that I am having problems burning.

On some other BT sites I'm coming across .ape and .flac files that are accompanied with a .cue file. I'm familar with all the file types, but I'm used to seeing .bin files with a .cue file. These sets contain one long .flac or .ape file, and the indexing for disc is contained in the .cue file.

Problem is I can't find software to burn a .cue file without a .bin file. I've learned that Windows has an app called foobar that will burn these two files into the original disc image, but thus far I've not found a Mac equivilant.

Any suggestions? All help appreciated!
Old 2006-12-12, 08:03 PM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

It's possible to burn a cue/wav (or other audio format) combo under OS X but it's a bit of a kludge or requires the ability to install and run cdrdao:
Code:
cdrdao write --device IODVDServices --driver generic-mmc my.cue
Make sure the relevant WAV is in the same directory as the CUE.

Burn, Disco and LiquidCD *will* burn cue/wav combos but there are apparently problems (see last post).

Your best bet is to split the audio file according to the cue and the primo app for that is XLD. The author updates the prog with dizzying frequency so I advise you to check every week or so. Once split you can burn/archive as usual but you will of course lose any pregaps and 00 INDEXES.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2006-12-12, 08:22 PM
Veteran of 'Sharingthegroove'
431.14 GB/446.49 GB/1.04

Thanks, I'll check out both options.
Old 2006-12-12, 09:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Damn, ffooky, is there anything you don't know about macs? I would love to know what you do for a living!

Old 2006-12-13, 06:52 AM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Damn, ffooky, is there anything you don't know about macs?
Well how to get cdrdao to compile on my Intel iMac for a start
Quote:
I would love to know what you do for a living!
So would I.

It's good to bang the drum for XLD because it doesn't appear on Version Tracker and it's a terrific little bit of kit.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2006-12-13, 05:42 PM
time for the last rewind
838.29 GB/2.36 TB/2.88

im starting to get annoyed that I still cant play SHNs on my macbook
Old 2006-12-13, 06:22 PM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

SHN has absolutely no point nowadays. I'd wouldn't even recommend archiving anything in that format even if it was the way it was received as it's pretty likely that decreasing numbers of software players will support it. Make an ST5 of your SHN files, drop them into xACT's encode pane and convert them to FLAC or WavPack. Label the ST5 you made so it's clear it relates to your original SHNs and you should be able to check if any other sources of the tracks you come across in the future are identical or not.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2006-12-13, 07:01 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Have you tried MacAmp, Shawn? I stopped using that since cog plays all my files (even shn). I've occassionally got the problem launching the application but just used the fix they link to and everything would be fine.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble