The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-02-01, 08:57 AM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Firewalled and Stymied

I have been using bit torrent s/w for years and I have always managed to forward my ports, but ever since I had to switch over to a new Windows 7 computer, I can't seem to get around a firewall. I am using Comodo, and I think I have established the requisite rules for uTorrent (currently running 2.2.1). I created a static IP address and have tried configuring my router (an Actiontek from Verizon) both with the UPnP feature in uTorrent as well as manually. Could Malwarebytes be causing me an issue? I disabled the "website blocking" feature, but that made no difference. For that matter, I have disabled my Comodo firewall temporarily to see if that was the culprit but I always get the same result.

I am desperate to fix this, so any help appreciated. I wouldn't be asking for help if I could avoid it, but I have spent at least six hours trying to figure this out and I am no closer to an answer than I was before. As I said, up until I began using this computer, I was fine. Same router, same network. The only differences seem to be the operating system and the firewall program. I was just using the Windows firewall with my old XP machine, but with this new Windows 7 unit, I have issues with the MS firewall, so my IT guy suggested Comodo. By the way, even my IT guy was not able to figure this out after taking a quick look.

In debt to anyone who can help me. I'd like to keep my rather respectable share ratio, and I've always sort of scoffed at people showing a firewall, but here I am...

Thanks,

Tom (upperdecker)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-02-01, 09:10 AM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

Re: Firewalled and Stymied

i'm in the same boat. i never had a problem with it until recently, even with windows 7. but, somehow my router was reset a few weeks ago and ever since then i have not been able to figure it out. it's starting to piss me off.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:31 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Are you guys testing your configuration after each change at canyouseeme.org?

Old 2012-02-01, 09:36 AM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Are you guys testing your configuration after each change at canyouseeme.org?
Absolutely. Seeing that same error (Error: I could not see your service on XXX.XX.X.XXX on port (6881) Reason: Connection timed out) is maddening! I test it after each tweak and adjustment I make, but always the same result. Appreciate the help nonetheless.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:48 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Try picking a different port. Some ISPs used to (still?) block the known bittorrent ports. Try something like 45050.

Old 2012-02-01, 09:53 AM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Quote:
Try picking a different port. Some ISPs used to (still?) block the known bittorrent ports. Try something like 45050.
Worth a try. I initially was using 37754 (just some random port chosen by uTorrent), but I'll try again. Thanks. I'll report back.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:57 AM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Quote:
Tried it. First I checked the router settings to ensure the UPnP had added the new rules for port forwarding. Then I disabled the Comodo firewall completely. Guess what? Same error. Canyouseeme.org still shows it as blocked. This just makes no sense. Thanks again for trying.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:18 PM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

yeah, i've tried all of that. nothing.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:48 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

make sure utorrent is not allowed to pick a random port otherwise you cannot forward to that one port. You need to set the port yourself,

Old 2012-02-01, 03:05 PM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Quote:
make sure utorrent is not allowed to pick a random port otherwise you cannot forward to that one port. You need to set the port yourself,
Again, thanks for the suggestion, but I already considered that. The random assignment of ports is not enabled.

Man, what's so frustrating is that I've done this before, perhaps a half dozen times with other machines. It seems I have some undetected firewall running. Does anyone know of a service I could enlist to help get this straightened out? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if that's what it took.
Old 2012-02-01, 03:18 PM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdecker View Post
Again, thanks for the suggestion, but I already considered that. The random assignment of ports is not enabled.

Man, what's so frustrating is that I've done this before, perhaps a half dozen times with other machines. It seems I have some undetected firewall running. Does anyone know of a service I could enlist to help get this straightened out? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if that's what it took.
https://secure.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

personally, i'm not willing to pay the money. people still seem to able to download from me as i've uploaded several things since this happened. it takes a little time to start on occasion but, once someone gets through to me, my upload speed is the same as always. and, i have no problem downloading.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:17 PM
6.85 TB/28.34 TB/4.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
https://secure.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

personally, i'm not willing to pay the money. people still seem to able to download from me as i've uploaded several things since this happened. it takes a little time to start on occasion but, once someone gets through to me, my upload speed is the same as always. and, i have no problem downloading.
I am quite familiar with that advertisement, and although in the past I've dismissed such services out of hand, I am so bewildered by my current inability to shed my firewall issue(s) that I would purchase it without hesitation if I really thought it could get me back in business.

The problem with that pfconfig s/w is that they are only promising to ensure the forwarding of ports, whereas I am increasingly convinced that my ports are indeed forwarding, but that a firewall is causing the "blockage." In other words, I can easily see them saying, "well, your port forwarding is now properly configured in both your router and your BT client, but there is a firewall configuration issue that we can not support."

I apologize for having to ask for help. I probably sound like a whiner. I just don't know what else to do. I've been able to forward my ports for about 7 yrs. and suddenly I'm like a noob.
Old 2012-02-01, 08:02 PM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdecker View Post
I apologize for having to ask for help. I probably sound like a whiner. I just don't know what else to do. I've been able to forward my ports for about 7 yrs. and suddenly I'm like a noob.
i hear you. i'm starting to feel the same way. although i might have narrowed my problem down to a virus that is hiding control of windows firewall, which in turn is keeping me from reconfiguring windows firewall to allow utorrent.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:23 AM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

Call Verizon, and ask them to walk thru configuration.
Old 2012-02-02, 09:43 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have gone through periods where I am firewalled for no reason. It really hasn't affected me because I just continue to seed until I reach my 1:1 anyway. I don't normally hop on really old seeds, so I've always been able to find people who can connect to me anyway.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble