The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-11-11, 01:54 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

Re: Policy on "remastering"

General question first: I guess all torrents will have to be approved by a moderator first? Screened submissions might be a nice means to keep uninteresting things off the site.. or how exactly are you going to handle this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
it wouldn't take that long to listen to the clips. think of the fights that would break out, tho...
Well as far as I can tell the people who are both moderators and actually into this kind of stuff are sufficiently level-headed to discuss this in a serious manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I wanted to do something like this al ong time ago. If you make people submit things to commity they will run and be very pissed about it.
Kind of related to what I mentioned before - if someone isn't proud enough of his work to subject it to a screening process, it's probably not worth it anyway...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Perhaps a subforum to technobabble where were could just have an "audio remastering" forum. Then, one a remaster has been fine-tuned, post it in the regular audio forum...people who don't want to see the remastering discussion won't have to.

Would you be willing to help mod such a subforum? I know I would put my name in there and Five will likely do so too. I'll bring this up again if we have the manpower to run it.
I'd totally be up for this.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-11-11, 02:04 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I would think if people are not willing to submit their seeds for a peer-review that we could do without it here. I'll bring this up again, and if everyone agrees that a remastering subforum is in order, I'll try get it going.

We probably wouldn't want to get into it too deep until site launch, which is still 5 days away.....
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-11-11, 03:16 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
I would think if people are not willing to submit their seeds for a peer-review that we could do without it here. I'll bring this up again, and if everyone agrees that a remastering subforum is in order, I'll try get it going.

We probably wouldn't want to get into it too deep until site launch, which is still 5 days away.....
Ummm no offense but one of the people who seeded a very nice master here already is one of the people who fliped out on me when I tried this with the TSP comunnity. They have really big egos and know what they are doing and don't want to be treated like children. And yes these are the people we want here. These are the people who avoided seeding on the groove. They are exactly who this site was made for. I've already seen more then one big name taper who never used the groove pass through here to check it out. lets not chase them off.
Old 2004-11-11, 04:00 PM
1.28 GB/2.24 GB/1.76

Just my $0.02... NR is pretty risky and gives me the creeps. Even in studios, they don't really have that down yet. I'd definitely vote no NR of any sort.
Old 2004-11-11, 04:55 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Well, Rider, I think we can all usually tell the difference between people who know what they are doing and those who don't. I don't want to see CDR > Soundforge > FLAC without any notes as to what was done.

If someone is seeding their own masters or remasters where they give us the courtesy of telling us what the changed, that's fine. I have a hard time just trusting someone I don't know to the music as I've gotten too many ruined recordings.

So, would the mystery person be willing to share his process with us? No one is going to force them to upload before/after stuff if they've got well-detailed notes.
What's never been,
Old 2004-11-11, 04:56 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambys Shrink
Just my $0.02... NR is pretty risky and gives me the creeps. Even in studios, they don't really have that down yet. I'd definitely vote no NR of any sort.
NR can yield great results if used sparingly...it is somewhat of a black art, but I've had some pretty amazing results with it in the past.
What's never been,
Old 2004-11-12, 08:56 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Well, Rider, I think we can all usually tell the difference between people who know what they are doing and those who don't. I don't want to see CDR > Soundforge > FLAC without any notes as to what was done.

If someone is seeding their own masters or remasters where they give us the courtesy of telling us what the changed, that's fine. I have a hard time just trusting someone I don't know to the music as I've gotten too many ruined recordings.

So, would the mystery person be willing to share his process with us? No one is going to force them to upload before/after stuff if they've got well-detailed notes.
: Totally agree with this requirement. Either document it, or leave it alone. Hopefully, people who will take the time to document their procedures will also be capable of handling the software properly.

It's been pretty hysterical to view some of the waveforms of shows I grab and audition. When I hear one of these "WTF is that" tracks, I'll usually run it thru spectrum to see what it looks like. It's amazing sometimes to see the falloffs, notches and spikes that some people consider to be "good audio".

There have been a LOT of times that downloads get deleted because they're simply too painful to listen to. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here....)
Old 2004-11-17, 04:42 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
There have been a LOT of times that downloads get deleted because they're simply too painful to listen to. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here....)
There never is any guarantee with these things. (Hello everyone btw.) Got the 'Ballroom Blitz' by Led Zeppelin (London Lyceum) and the volume was clearly pulled heavily from the original recording to distortion level. I 'repaired' it for myself by dropping the right volume down, adding some bass resonance and putting up the loudness slightly to compensate. Still, one of the issues with this is that I'm doing this for myself and so not really intend to put it up in the trading pool. There already is a much better version from Empress circulating and adding another version is rather pointless IMHO. This is one of the main issues with remastering (which most of the time is a poignant term as it goes through a 16 bit format). There is not much point following through with something like this when amends have already been made somewhere along the line or if an original is still available.
Old 2004-12-01, 08:01 PM
realgone
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

New Here, but I think the idea of sharing the dark arts of mastering are great. I have a nice setup and can help with some of the tweaks and some education as far as compression, eq, etc. I have done over 500 shows so far and just got high speed and will be seeding once I figure out what my isp has to say about it. My background is in FOH and Mastering/Post Production.......But my setup is

Cubase SX 2.0
Waves Diamond Bundle
Waves IR-1
PSP Vintage Warmer
T-Racks 24
Nomad Factory Blue Tubes
Ozone 3

I mostly use waves, I have used it for a number of years and have good results, great noise reduction with x-noise, and x-crackle. So I can help there or in any way I can. But for the shows I try to be as sparing as possible, less is more I always learned. And anything I seed will have what I used and how I used it. That may be sacrelidge for a mastering person but I have bands that I master that pay the bills this is fun.......

SO lets rock it........
Old 2004-12-01, 08:11 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

realgone. Sounds great, and please do let us know what your process was. I'm here to get music, but also to learn what kinds of techniques there are out there.

I hope to see some of your seeds in the future .
What's never been,

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble