The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-03-25, 01:12 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Problems burning dual layer DVDs

I've been having some trouble burning dual layer DVDs. Initially I used Nero, and while it would burn and verify OK, sometimes it would change the .IFO and .BUP files and the menus wouldn't work properly. So I switched to ONES v2.0.330, and at first the discs would burn and verify OK and play fine. Then I started to have problems with the DL discs burning and verifying with ONES (they would fail verification right away and eject). The DL discs wouldn't play in my standalone, and most of the files on the DL disc burned with ONES were altered, including most .VOB files (they wouldn't match the original md5 if I ripped it back to the HD using windows or DVD decrypter). Does anybody know what is going on and why ONES would alter the files and/or otherwise screw up the burn? I see an update at the ONES site. Will that help? I think I started to have problems with ONES after I did a Nero update, so I uninstalled both Nero and ONES, then reinstalled ONES. This didn't fix the problem, I still had problems burning DLs with ONES. I stopped burning DLs for a while until recently. I was able to successfully burn 3 DL discs with ONES (they verified OK and play fine in standalones). Then I coastered 2 DL discs in a row as my problems burning with ONES reappeared. I decided to give IMG Burn a shot, which was seemingly burning the DL disc fine until the lead out, at which point it failed.

The discs I've been using are Verbatim DVD+R DL. I always burn DL discs at 2.4X speed. I always restart the computer before every burn and have no other programs running besides the burning app. and a couple tray items (like AVG antivirus) when I burn. Windows Disk Defragmenter says I don't need to defragment my drive right now. The computer itself is getting old and is kind of a POS: 800 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, Windows XP Home. Drive is a Lite-On slim type for laptops.

Is there a way to burn a DVD-Video disc in Nero without the chance that it will alter any .IFO and .BUP files? I tried ISO mode in Nero burning ROM and my standalone couldn't read the disc, although it burned and verified OK and played fine on my PC.

I should add that I have no trouble at all burning single layer DVDs with ONES in data mastering mode or record VIDEO_TS mode, and I burn them all the time. A single layer disc I burned recently with ONES got a 93 score in Nero DiscSpeed > Disc Quality with these stats:
Attached Images
File Type: png SlimtypeDVDRW_SSW-8015S_HSU1_24-March-2008_18_14.png
( 19.1 KB, 189 views)

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-25, 04:03 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Re: Problems burning dual layer DVDs

ill say it once and ill say it again, FUCK dual layer

shady instable format you should stay away from
Old 2008-03-25, 04:19 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

I have only had success using Verbatim DL blanks, maybe it's your burner not the blanks or Ones software.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-25, 04:20 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Tubular, since this started with you updating nero, it likely has something to do with that. Even though you re-installed both ONES & Nero, that update is what's causing a problem. Since you're using the same discs, it could be your burner is on the way out. I'd uninstall nero all together (unless you use it for audio) and try a different brand of duals (ridata puts out good ones) I use HP's for the most part but that's more out of default because I only have 2 places to buy discs from and I never think to get them online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewa311 View Post
ill say it once and ill say it again, FUCK dual layer

shady instable format you should stay away from
Just because you have problems doesn't mean everyone else does. I have just as many issues with single layers as I do with duals (virtually none).

I'll repeat, if there were something actually wrong with the data on the discs, your splitting method would not work or fix it.
Old 2008-03-25, 05:25 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I have only had success using Verbatim DL blanks, maybe it's your burner not the blanks or Ones software.
looks like he had problems ^^^^

why don't you just admit that DLs are shady and they ain't worth shit?

its obvious that dvd5 is way more stable and they will win in the long run

the technology just isnt there, no matter how much you want it to be, just so you can have your extra 4 GB, when i use DL i feel like im buring a cd in 1997 hoping it will make it to 100%

i know im not helping much! but if i were you i would stay away from DLs or split or compress them, just dont trade them, cause some people will be pissed for "altering" the lineage
Old 2008-03-25, 05:47 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

There are just as many posts with people that are using failing DVD burners (this one happens to be sketchy to begin with) that have problems burning DVD5s. troll somewhere else.
Old 2008-03-25, 05:53 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman View Post
troll somewhere else.
Old 2008-03-25, 06:50 PM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Try free & great: http://www.imgburn.com

Please note that a DL has to have set layer break in IFO/BUP files. If the info is not contained, Imgburn will ask where to place the break, and will change IFO/BUP.
Old 2008-03-25, 07:22 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

The problem may be as simple as the burner doesn't work well with the brand of DL discs used. I only use media certified and tested by the drive manufacturer as "recommended." Once I started doing that my coaster ratio has been nearly zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2008-03-25, 07:31 PM
Taper - Team Kansasouri
221.58 GB/568.68 GB/2.57

I was having no luck (getting failed burns) with two different media brands, then I went to the manufacturer's website for my DVD burner and downloaded the latest firmware update and was go to go burning dual layers after that.
Old 2008-03-25, 10:03 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I just tried playing a couple of DL discs I burned with Nero a few months ago in DVD-ROM UDF/ISO mode with Nero burning ROM. They played fine in a Denon player but wouldn't play in an XBOX 360. There are three main options for UDF: automatic, manual, and XBOX compatibilty mode. In the manual mode, there are these options: physical partition, virtual partition, and sparable partition. Then there are different versions of UDF that can be used: 1.02, 1.50, 2.00, 2.01, 2.50, 2.60. Which one should I use? Which one does ONES use? In ONES' data mastering mode, the mode that I usually burn all my DVD-videos with, it uses ISO + UDF but doesn't say the specific version of UDF that it uses (all my discs play fine in several different players using this). Since I've never had problems with Nero burning DL discs (other than changing .IFO and .BUP files in crappy Express mode), I think I'll try that again. I just updated to ONES v2.1.358, so maybe I'll try that again too. Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
There are just as many posts with people that are using failing DVD burners (this one happens to be sketchy to begin with) that have problems burning DVD5s. troll somewhere else.
My Lite On isn't that great of a drive? What slim type internal drive would you recommend? I can't seem to find a Plextor slim type on Newegg or Tigerdirect. One thing that really sucks about this particular Lite On is that the CD read speeds SUCK. I can only read CDs at about 1.00X - 2.00X, so if I want to rip a CD it takes fucking forever.
Old 2008-03-26, 04:24 AM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular View Post
Then there are different versions of UDF that can be used: 1.02, 1.50, 2.00, 2.01, 2.50, 2.60.
For Xbox you have to check option under the UDF tab "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for Xbox TM)", and use UDF 1.02 only - like for any DVD.
Old 2008-03-26, 09:46 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

I guess I wasn't clear in my language, let me clarify: I have never had a coaster using Verbatim DL with either of my dvd burners.

Is that clear now Drewa311?
Old 2008-03-26, 11:00 AM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

wait...explain again... your dual layers suck and will be useless because of data rot in 3 years? I think i understand now!

youll have problems...just wait
Old 2008-03-26, 11:00 AM
112.20 GB/89.89 GB/0.80

the only dvd9s that i have had problems with have been Memorex. they completely freeze not only my burner but the entire pc as well. very strange.

i usually use verbatim dls, although i have also had success with ridata too. i have found that burning speed also makes quite a difference in the number of bad burns i get, for me it's the slower the speed, the better.

also had some troubles w/ the layer break in nero, as mentioned above imgburn is excellent for that.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble