The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-31, 05:55 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Re: DVD Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcrazy2005
I know that there is a problem if you select DVD Video in Nero and it changes the IFO and BUP files.
I can't help you with your question but I would be interested to know what the problem is with Nero as I have used it exclusively for all of my CD and DVD burning and think it is great. What's it supposedly doing to my BUP and IFO files?

Thanks,
Rob
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-31, 09:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Some players will play a ISO or UDF but you need to add an empty Audio_TS folder to the disc...the changes being made to the .ifo and .bup files *do not* affect the quality of the video, actually they don't affect the vido at all...

personally, i archive and trade the original show in data format, with the orig. .ifo/.bup files...but when burning a "watchable copy" [DVD-Video] for myself, i use Nero and don't worry about the changes...you can always make a .md5 of just the .vob files to make sure yer "watchable copy" has no errors. hope that helps
Old 2005-07-31, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Thanks for the info. I am actually including the AUDIO_TS folder, so that is not the problem. Apparently my new standalone is just picky. I guess that I will just continue to burn as DVD-Video and not worry about the BUPs and IFOs, even though it will fail the original MD5 (which I have no way of keeping on the disc either).

-Phil
Old 2005-07-31, 01:10 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DVD Ripper?

where can I find a free DVD ripper? DVD DeCrypter is gone now or whatever, so I cant get that

reason I ask is, for example, I finish DL'ing a show, and after I seed it for the next guy to get it fully pulled, he only seeds for a day n leaves 2 or 3 people about halfway done. At this point, I would pry have it pulled of my hard drive and burned to a DVD, so how would I go about that?
Old 2005-07-31, 01:29 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Re: DVD Ripper?

dvd shrink is free....
Old 2005-07-31, 02:19 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Re: DVD Ripper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastHonestFool03
where can I find a free DVD ripper? DVD DeCrypter is gone now or whatever, so I cant get that
Firstly, you don't need a DVD ripper for copying torrented DVDs. They are not encrypted, so you can simply copy the files to your hard disk in the same way as you would copy any other files.

But if you want to use DVD Decrypter, you can still easily find copies via google - it's just that no new versions are being released.
Old 2005-08-02, 02:40 PM
191.49 GB/57.40 GB/0.30

roxio popcorn

Hi,
I have a Mac G4 with OSX. It has a built-in Pioneer DVD burner. I have downloaded some shows that play perfectly fine on my computer. I am interested in starting to trade shows and I need to figure out how to burn a disc that will play on standard dvd players. I thought that Roxio Popcorn would alleviate my worries. When I open the program and drag in the Video_ts folder it allows me to start the burning process. When finished the DVD-R (Sony) is capaple of being played on other computers, by opening individual VOB files, but not capable of being played on a standard DVD player. I would appreciate if anyone has the patience to answer my noobed out question.
Thank you and keep on growin'
Old 2005-08-02, 03:04 PM
56.17 GB/79.00 GB/1.41

Re: roxio popcorn

Popcorn is really designed to compress DVD9 to DVD5 and I've never tried to burn a disc with it. You're better off with Roxio's burning application Toast.
Recent versions of Toast have an option to burn DVD-Video straight from a valid VIDEO_TS folder, or you can burn a DVD-ROM (UDF) disc with the data tab (Hit "New Disc" first)and Toast will automatically flag it as a DVD-Video.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2005-08-02, 04:21 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

For burning DVDs on a Mac: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

I'll try to burn one with Popcorn sometime and then update the page.

Old 2005-08-02, 05:58 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

also note that a lot of standalone DVD players require the DVD to perfectly in line with the standard, which would require both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, where AUDIO_TS will be empty unless it is a true DVD-A compilation (usually not). You don't use the AUDIO_TS folder at all (the audio is muxed with the mpeg2 video stream data in the VIDEO_TS folder for standard DVD Video), but some players require the blank one for the standard.

So, if your program doesn't add that, you could try creating an empty folder for AUDIO_TS and putting that in the root, as well as your VIDEO_TS folder.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.
Old 2005-08-03, 10:19 PM
1.52 TB/1.72 TB/1.13

Question Newbie DVD burning software question

OK, I've got the downloading part down, but I can't seem to get my DVDs to burn correctly. I'm using ArcSoft Showbiz 2, which came with my PC and is evidently not great. So I downloaded the trial version of DVDSanta, but when I try to add the files I downloaded here I get these messages: "Unsupported audio stream" and "Unable to open the video file of Cfilename)." I tried contacting DVDSanta to figure out what's wrong but they haven't responded.

Lots of people seem to be using Nero, but that's kinda pricey and includes stuff I don't need (I already have CD/photo software). I just want to be able to burn the videos I download to DVD with the minimum of hassles.

I'm new to video downloading (I've been doing BT audio for awhile), and I really want to make this work. I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks!
Old 2005-08-04, 12:12 AM
shnaholic
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Newbie DVD burning software question

there are reasons a lot of us use nero. it works well and easily and is very reliable. at least for me it has been. if 60 bucks is too much to pay for a license then im sure you can find a key gen somewhere online. im sure other people here use what they know to work well for them but i have never had one issue with nero. may i also suggest www.videohelp.com it contains very helpful info and may be the place you need to look. it has helped countless dvd burning noobs.

Last edited by shnaholic; 2005-08-04 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2005-08-04, 12:32 AM
witekk
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You can try Burnatonce. Free and for me 100% reliable.
Old 2005-08-04, 09:15 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Durning a DVD

okay, so let's say I just DL'd a show

then I seed until the next guy completes

then I wanna burn the DVD

I have a DVD burner, but how do I go about making the disc? just click on the folder "disc one" when I'm asked what files I want to burn? or do I burn it file by file, and how do I make sure the files I burn onto the DVD are "in order"...in other words, how do I make sure I burn the menu file where it belongs then vob 1 vob 2, etc, etc, in its place?
Old 2005-08-05, 01:01 AM
120.60 GB/269.11 GB/2.23

I think you can download a free trial version of nero,Just go to nero.com and search for it, It works great., And is so easy to use.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble