The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-06, 06:39 AM
mysterymadman
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

How to best use the Sony ECM-717 mic (and/or user's experiences)...?

Hi,

In a few weeks time I intend to tape Iron Maiden indoors using a Sony MZ-R50 MD with an ECM-717 microphone, and I'm not sure how to get the optimal recording performance from this set-up.

Firstly, I have performed some tests with this combination, and there is a (seemingly) weird thing: when putting a (fresh new) battery in the mic, and switching it on, the LED flashes once (for a tiny fraction of a second) and then stays off. This seems weird to me. Can anyone tell me whether this normal?

Sony doesn't officially show the manual online anymore, but after some trial and error trying to change some of their documentation base URLs, I found the manual at: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/ECM717.PDF

However, I find the manual somewhat unclear regarding the LED status (in one place it mentions: "The red lamp (sic!) on the microphone will flash", and in a different location it says: "The red lamp (sic!) lights up dimly or goes out when the battery is weak.")...
I find this contradicting; is the battery supposed to only flash once, or stay on?!?

Secondly, on another seemingly weird note, the recorder's manual (see page 12 of: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/MZR50.PDF) mentions that the mic should be plugged into the "MIC (PLUG IN POWER)" hole. All swell, but again, according to the above mentioned mic manual, the mic should then be switched to off (and hence should use the recorder's power, instead of the battery's one)...
Is this indeed the preferred setting, or are there better options?

Finally, I hope someone who has experience with this particular mic (and/or recorder) can give me some pointers for getting the best performance out of it. In particular, during some of the indoor tests of practice rehearsals of a rock band playing loud in a classroom, with the ECM-717 equipped with a battery, and the mic switched to "on" and with the levels set (manually) to the bare minimum, I still get heavy clipping. This is the case when the recorder itself is set to "high mic sensitivity", and I hope to be able to try it with low sensitivity tonight (or next week). I wonder about one thing though: would it be better to use the mic without the battery and the recorder set to high sensitivity, or to use the mic with battery and set the recorder to low sensitivity?
Intuitively I would guess the latter to be the best, but is that really the case or not?
Anyone?

Your help will be very much appreciated!

Cheers!
MM

Last edited by mysterymadman; 2006-11-06 at 10:07 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2017-10-16, 07:20 PM
378.16 GB/545.65 GB/1.44

Re: How to best use the Sony ECM-717 mic (and/or user's experiences)...?

Hi. How is this mic working for you? Thanks Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymadman View Post
Hi,

In a few weeks time I intend to tape Iron Maiden indoors using a Sony MZ-R50 MD with an ECM-717 microphone, and I'm not sure how to get the optimal recording performance from this set-up.

Firstly, I have performed some tests with this combination, and there is a (seemingly) weird thing: when putting a (fresh new) battery in the mic, and switching it on, the LED flashes once (for a tiny fraction of a second) and then stays off. This seems weird to me. Can anyone tell me whether this normal?

Sony doesn't officially show the manual online anymore, but after some trial and error trying to change some of their documentation base URLs, I found the manual at: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/ECM717.PDF

However, I find the manual somewhat unclear regarding the LED status (in one place it mentions: "The red lamp (sic!) on the microphone will flash", and in a different location it says: "The red lamp (sic!) lights up dimly or goes out when the battery is weak.")...
I find this contradicting; is the battery supposed to only flash once, or stay on?!?

Secondly, on another seemingly weird note, the recorder's manual (see page 12 of: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/MZR50.PDF) mentions that the mic should be plugged into the "MIC (PLUG IN POWER)" hole. All swell, but again, according to the above mentioned mic manual, the mic should then be switched to off (and hence should use the recorder's power, instead of the battery's one)...
Is this indeed the preferred setting, or are there better options?

Finally, I hope someone who has experience with this particular mic (and/or recorder) can give me some pointers for getting the best performance out of it. In particular, during some of the indoor tests of practice rehearsals of a rock band playing loud in a classroom, with the ECM-717 equipped with a battery, and the mic switched to "on" and with the levels set (manually) to the bare minimum, I still get heavy clipping. This is the case when the recorder itself is set to "high mic sensitivity", and I hope to be able to try it with low sensitivity tonight (or next week). I wonder about one thing though: would it be better to use the mic without the battery and the recorder set to high sensitivity, or to use the mic with battery and set the recorder to low sensitivity?
Intuitively I would guess the latter to be the best, but is that really the case or not?
Anyone?

Your help will be very much appreciated!

Cheers!
MM
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2017-10-19, 07:15 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Re: How to best use the Sony ECM-717 mic (and/or user's experiences)...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc112 View Post
Hi. How is this mic working for you? Thanks Norm
Now that you've bumped this ancient thread about a no longer manufactured microphone... do they even make the ECM-719 anymore? I've wanted a 907/957 for a while as well. I think Sony makes pretty decent consumer mics.

I own/use this mic & it's ok. It's super easy to stealth and to use. I guess you could describe it as a "point & shoot" microphone. That said, it doesn't get the best sound (bass response is pretty lacking) or stereo separation. I've also found that location/proximity to sound source is very important with this mic. The closer you are to the source the better. Also, no matter which recorder I've used - I've gotten pretty low levels consistently. I had to boost my Paul Simon recording 13dB (boosting the volume ~220% overall). I may run my preamp in front of it sometime for shits and giggles.

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble