The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-01-22, 03:45 PM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Problem with Portforwarding...

I have been trying to configure my ports to avoid being firewalled...I even downloaded the portforward program that automatically configures your computer...I am having trouble identifying which ports I need to open...I am asked to name the TCP and UDP ports in the configuration screen and I just put 6881 for both....this can't be right....

I used to download at fast speeds (350k or better) and upload was capped at 45k (I am on Comcast High Speed Cable)...now my uploads barely get above 4k and my downloads won't go above 50k...my ratios are getting killed!

I recently upgraded BitTorrent to 5.05 or whatever the latest version is...that's when my troubles started...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jaro
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-01-22, 04:16 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Problem with Portforwarding...

I have the same port for both TCP and UDP, so I don't think that is a problem. So ISPs are getting wise to common bittorrent ports (6881-6889) and 'blocking' them (not completely, but basically cutting down on your download/upload rates for those ports), so I would try different ports, like something between 40000 and 52000. See if that improves things. If not, you may try using encryption, which I do not believe is an option using the regular bittorrent client.

Old 2007-01-22, 05:16 PM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I have the same port for both TCP and UDP, so I don't think that is a problem. So ISPs are getting wise to common bittorrent ports (6881-6889) and 'blocking' them (not completely, but basically cutting down on your download/upload rates for those ports), so I would try different ports, like something between 40000 and 52000. See if that improves things. If not, you may try using encryption, which I do not believe is an option using the regular bittorrent client.
Thanks for the advice...Should I set the TCP 40000 & UDP 52000? I just am not getting my head wrapped around the port stuff....
Old 2007-01-22, 05:19 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Try setting them both to the same thing. Then, make sure you put the same port into your bittorrent client (I'm not familiar with the portforward software you are using, so I don't know if it does that for you).

Old 2007-01-24, 05:13 PM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

I tried using ports 40000 in PFConfig program for TCP & UDP, switched BT to 40000 and am seeding a Jet DVD with only 4k upload speed....this is just horrendous...should I look into running an older version of BT? I had no trouble until I started upgrading...

Once again, thanks for the advice as it is deeply appreciated!
Old 2007-01-24, 05:37 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Have you tried running a speed test to see what kind of speeds you should be able to get? (Make sure to do that without anything running that accesses the internet.) Also, are you downloading (or uploading) anything else at the same time?

Did you try encryption at all (or does bittorrent not have that option)?

Old 2007-01-24, 10:40 PM
664.75 GB/1.78 TB/2.74

I'm no expert, but if the problems started when you upgraded your bt client, then it's more likely the client settings than a port forwarding issue. I would suggest checking the settings in your bt client..
Old 2007-01-26, 03:31 PM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaetz
I'm no expert, but if the problems started when you upgraded your bt client, then it's more likely the client settings than a port forwarding issue. I would suggest checking the settings in your bt client..
That was the right call! I clicked off the autodetect bandwidth (which was defaulted at 4k!) and now things are running ok....The only thing now is that BT takes like 20 minutes to connect to the swarm...says "Checking for Firewall" in the lower right corner and I get problem connecting to tracker errors in the Log....after a few hours, it will say "Online ports open"...it works, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but it seems like it takes a long time to run....plus I still show up as firewalled even though BT says my ports are open...

How do I check my speed?
Old 2007-01-26, 05:39 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests
-Slew
Old 2007-01-26, 11:10 PM
127.26 GB/134.89 GB/1.06

hey jaro, i just experienced the same problem you did (i'm surprised this thread isn't longer). in the end, you talking about 20 minute connections even tho you 'fixed' the problem scared me off. so i downloaded uTorrent (per this site) and followed the instructions per portforwarding for my router. i had probs initially with torrents still looking for bittorrent even tho i had made uTorrent the new default, but uninstalling bitorrent solved the problem. i'm back in business. not sure why bitorrent messed with a good (or decent anyway) thing.

still not sure why i download at only about 80-100kb/s (connection gets 2.5mb, but this is my usual) if you could pull 350, but i guess that's another thread. good luck sorting this out.
Old 2007-01-27, 08:38 AM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNtROpY
hey jaro, i just experienced the same problem you did (i'm surprised this thread isn't longer). in the end, you talking about 20 minute connections even tho you 'fixed' the problem scared me off. so i downloaded uTorrent (per this site) and followed the instructions per portforwarding for my router. i had probs initially with torrents still looking for bittorrent even tho i had made uTorrent the new default, but uninstalling bitorrent solved the problem. i'm back in business. not sure why bitorrent messed with a good (or decent anyway) thing.

still not sure why i download at only about 80-100kb/s (connection gets 2.5mb, but this is my usual) if you could pull 350, but i guess that's another thread. good luck sorting this out.

Seems to me that the program I downoaded (and paid $30 for!) doesn't seem to be doing it's job...I will keep working on it...definitely disappointing to think you are getting an upgrade and end up with a headache....I may do the same as you and switch to uTorrent...you have no issues with it, right?
Old 2007-01-27, 11:24 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

jaro, you *paid* for a bittorrent client?

eNtROpY, 2.5 mb download on a speedtest is equivalent to 2500/8 or about 300 kb/s in bittorrent land. You download speed will depend on whether you are also uploading (which will decrease your overall download speed) and also the speed by which others are uploading. If you are connected to two seeders, and they are each only uploading at 30kbps, then your download can only be 2x30 or 60 kbps max.

Old 2007-01-27, 11:53 AM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Quote:
jaro, you *paid* for a bittorrent client?

eNtROpY, 2.5 mb download on a speedtest is equivalent to 2500/8 or about 300 kb/s in bittorrent land. You download speed will depend on whether you are also uploading (which will decrease your overall download speed) and also the speed by which others are uploading. If you are connected to two seeders, and they are each only uploading at 30kbps, then your download can only be 2x30 or 60 kbps max.

No, I paid for the Portforward software....from the portforward site....
Old 2007-01-27, 12:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You are only the second person I've heard of who has that software. I don't suppose you know if they just recently put it on their site, do you?

The software may be working just fine. We are experiencing some problems on the site with more traffic and thus the tracker is getting a bit more overloaded and probably giving out more 'false positives' on the firewall issue. If you do get the firewalled sign on here, but you are sure you are not firewalled, do NOT worry about it! The bittorrent clients continually will check to see if people are firewalled. So, if you really are not firewalled, other bittorrent clients will know it and treat you as an unfirewalled user.

Old 2007-01-27, 03:25 PM
265.64 GB/292.77 GB/1.10

Quote:
You are only the second person I've heard of who has that software. I don't suppose you know if they just recently put it on their site, do you?

The software may be working just fine. We are experiencing some problems on the site with more traffic and thus the tracker is getting a bit more overloaded and probably giving out more 'false positives' on the firewall issue. If you do get the firewalled sign on here, but you are sure you are not firewalled, do NOT worry about it! The bittorrent clients continually will check to see if people are firewalled. So, if you really are not firewalled, other bittorrent clients will know it and treat you as an unfirewalled user.
First, thanks for the advice you've given me...I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge....

I would have to say the software is new to their site, but it appears that my BT is running very well at the moment...I am ports open all the way! I hope this thread might have helped some people out!

Thanks to all who replied...

(BTW- did the speed test and I am running normally....)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble