The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-21, 04:23 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Fitting two dvd files on one dvd

Wondering if anyone knows of a way around this one. Mostly when I burn a dvd file it's 3 gb or more, but sometimes when it's a gig I really want to squeeze one or two more small shows on the same dvd. BUT, Nero and all my other programs say that there can only be one TSO etc files. I've tried renaming the VOB files, etc, and it will then burn them...but I can only watch the original show even though the dvd now has both burned on it.
Is there a way to rename the files or otherwise fit two or three small shows onto one dvd? Seems waste to have 30 dvds when it could all fit onto 10 or 15.
Thanks!
Old 2007-12-21, 05:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Fitting two dvd files on one dvd

I would head on over to videohelp.com and check in their tutorials section.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-21, 05:17 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstyle View Post
Wondering if anyone knows of a way around this one. Mostly when I burn a dvd file it's 3 gb or more, but sometimes when it's a gig I really want to squeeze one or two more small shows on the same dvd. BUT, Nero and all my other programs say that there can only be one TSO etc files. I've tried renaming the VOB files, etc, and it will then burn them...but I can only watch the original show even though the dvd now has both burned on it.
Is there a way to rename the files or otherwise fit two or three small shows onto one dvd? Seems waste to have 30 dvds when it could all fit onto 10 or 15.
Thanks!
If you have two DVD folders you can merge them into one with DVD2one.
I don't know about menus though.

Another thing you can do is rip each small DVD into a single VOB and reauthor them in a DVD authoring program, and create your own menu.
Old 2007-12-21, 05:20 PM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re-Author the DVDs in one DVD.
Old 2007-12-21, 08:33 PM
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

DVD2one worked just fine. Tried some others but that was the easiest.
Is there freeware that does the same thing?
And thanks for the videohelp link, that's a great site I'd not seen, lots of useful info on many things video.
Thanks for the help, folks!
Old 2007-12-21, 08:44 PM
1.27 TB/792.10 GB/0.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstyle View Post
Thanks!
I've also wondered if there was a way to put more than 1 DVD download on a disc...I've got 10 shows that are 1 GB or less, that I've held off burning to DVD because it would be a huge waste of discs! - I did a quick google search, and found this on DVDRBase.com forums:

How to fit two movies onto one DVD disc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like to add my simple guide to fitting 2 movies onto 1 DVD, hope this helps anyone who reads it.
(With a little guidance from Chickenman, "thanks" :-).

How to fit two movies onto one DVD disc.
Software tools required:
DVD Decrypter.
DVD2One.
TMPGenc DVD Author.
Your favourite burning programme, I prefer to use RecordNow Max v4.5.

Put the DVD that you are going to rip into your DVD-ROM, open up DVD Decrypter, click mode, tick file, DVD Decrypter will select the main movie only, it is best to select the whole movie as DVD2One will not always work if only the Main movie and none of its support VOB files are present, in the destination directory box show DVD Decrypter where you want the files to be ripped to, then click the big Decrypt button, all the files will be ripped to that directory, you need to do this with both movies giving each movie a different directory.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Once the files for both movies have been ripped, start up DVD2one, show DVD2one the first movie directory (Source) then show DVD2one where you want the files to be transcoded to (Destination), I always make another folder inside the file folder called (VIDEO_TS) this must be in capitols, we will be using this folder later, change the in size MB box down to approx 2200MB, after transcoding each movie file will be approx 2.10Gb, also select in the copy mode box Movie-only.
After showing DVD2one the directory’s, click next, select the file you want to process, click next, tick the audio you want and any subtitles click start, DVD2one takes about 15 to 25 minutes to transcode the files on my PC, you need to do this with both movies.

Open up TMPGenc DVD author, click create new project, click add new track, right click on your 1st Untitled track, click rename, call it what your 1st movie is going to be, click on your 2nd Untitled track, click rename call it what your 2nd movie is going to be, click add DVD Video, browse to your 1st transcoded VIDEO_TS folder, in the box that pops up click next, uncheck the box copy the clip video data to the HDD, click OK, click OK again, click on the 2nd movie track, click add DVD Video, browse to your 2nd transcoded VIDEO_TS folder, in the box that pops up click next, uncheck the box copy the clip video data to the HDD, click OK, click OK again.
Click on the create menu button, on the Menu theme dropdown menu select which Menu theme you want to use, on the Firstplay action tab select Display main menu, this makes the final burnt movie go to the main menu screen so you can select which movie that you want your DVD player to play, click on the 1st movie title, you can either find a frame in the movie for the picture or you can click open file and browse to a saved Jpeg image, do this for both movies, click the output tab, browse to a folder that you want the movies authored to, make sure that create DVD folder box is checked, click begin output, TMPGenc will give you an elapsed time and a remaining time, on my PC it takes approx 20 minutes, once TMPGenc has done you can burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with RecordNow Max or your favourite burning software programme.

When burning with RecordNow Max, select Data from the top menu bar, you can either drag and drop the VIDEO and AUDIO_TS folders or browse to them, the Volume label can be changed to anything you want, select the correct burning speed for your DVD media, then just click the red burning button wait untill RecordNow Max has finished.

Hope this little guide helps anyone who is going to do this.

Tommyis3 (c) 2003 – July- 2003
Old 2007-12-22, 04:32 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Bear in mind that you may not merge 2 DVDs into the same track (VTS) if they have different aspect ratio and/or different audio formats. Some authoring programs, like TDA 3, allow it but will re-encode to the properties of the first DVD imported into VTS.
Old 2007-12-22, 04:38 AM
256.15 GB/348.70 GB/1.36

DVDRemakePro... Allows you to combine authored DVD files and retain original menus
Old 2007-12-22, 08:00 AM
111.10 GB/204.76 GB/1.84

Have you tried the NERO Recode option?
Old 2007-12-22, 09:26 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Thumbs down Re: Fitting two dvd files on one dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredroots View Post
Have you tried the NERO Recode option?
it's option: make a crap As the name says it will re-encode. Second problem is that Nero mpeg encoder is not as good as Canopus, MainConcept or TMPGEnc.
Old 2007-12-22, 03:23 PM
111.10 GB/204.76 GB/1.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
it's option: make a crap As the name says it will re-encode. Second problem is that Nero mpeg encoder is not as good as Canopus, MainConcept or TMPGEnc.
I have only used it once and it worked fine for me.
Old 2007-12-27, 11:30 PM
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Got my solution! Shrink 3.2 (various dl sites, google it) has a very simple re-authoring feature, combines any number of filess losslessly (if below 4.3 gb) and burns the disc, all in less than 20 minutes. And, best part, it's free! It kills the menus, but I don't care; if the dvd is labelled right, it don't matter much to me if I have menus. It DOES matter when I get one dvd instead of four to help save a lot of space and time as life goes on.
Thanks to all here who helped.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble