The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-23, 04:34 PM
304.89 GB/834.42 GB/2.74

How To Help Re-Seed, and Other Random Questions

OK, I have searched high and low in the archives and I can't seem to find the specific answers to my questions. So I did look for quite a while before I posted these questions...also I am kind of a n00b at creating torrents in the fashion that they would need to be made here and using the Traders Little Helper tool but I am reading....

Anyhoo, here are my questions....

I have downloaded this torrent already
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...t=makings+rain
and was seeding it for quite a while and then I burned it to a DVD to watch and then I removed it from my hard drive to make room for other stuff. I know how to use Clone DVD to pull the files off of the disk I burned but....

Q1.
If I wanted to help seed this torrent again here how would I go about doing this?

-also the original folder I downloaded it to is gone

Q2.Say I downloaded something somewhere else and I think it's the same show or whatever here and I wanted to help seed the show here, how would I go about doing that?

Q3.With all of the .torrent files being labeled so differently how do some of you keep your stuff organized? Especially since you can't change anything about the torrent file, not even the folder name...right?

I think that is all the questions I have for now.

Also, just wanted to say Thanks for this FREAKIN' SWEET COMMUNITY you have here. Everybody is very gracious and helpful in the sharing of music and information and I REALLY appreciate it. It's certainly nice to enhance my music collection in such a wonderful way so 'S everyone

Hopefully I've made my questions clear. And if you have questions about my questions just let me know.
Thanks again all....

Last edited by dcbullet; 2008-01-23 at 04:46 PM. Reason: fix link
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-23, 04:55 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Re: How To Help Re-Seed, and Other Random Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderfingerr View Post

Q1.
If I wanted to help seed this torrent again here how would I go about doing this?

-also the original folder I downloaded it to is gone
1. Download the .torrent file and start again as if you were getting the show for the first time. This will set up the directory structure on your hard drive.

2. Stop your torrent client.

3. Go into the downloaded directory and delete all the data files. In the case of a DVD that will be like .vob, etc.

4. Copy the data files from your burned DVD into the directories on your HD.

5. Start up your torrent again. When your client asks where to save the files, you tell it to save it in the directory that has been established on your hard drive. It will then check to make sure the files are the same and assuming they are, it will start seeding.

Quote:
Q2.Say I downloaded something somewhere else and I think it's the same show or whatever here and I wanted to help seed the show here, how would I go about doing that?
I would recommend the same procedure as above. If the person who is seeding is literally seeding the same exact directory and file structure, you don't even need to do that. You just tell your torrent client to save in the same directory you previously downloaded and it will check and seed.

Quote:
Q3.With all of the .torrent files being labeled so differently how do some of you keep your stuff organized? Especially since you can't change anything about the torrent file, not even the folder name...right?
Different people do it different ways. I just burn to a DVD backup the torrent file as downloaded, with no changes.
Old 2008-01-23, 05:11 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

When I decide to take a torrent that I have created off of my HD to free up space, I always save the entire file (folder with all it's contents - txt, md5, etc.) as a data disc, so I can reseed it if needed at a later time. Just another tip to add to dcbullet's fine instructions.
Old 2008-01-23, 05:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

This may also help out a bit: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ent#faq_window

Old 2008-01-25, 01:11 AM
304.89 GB/834.42 GB/2.74

Thanks for the help everybody!

Very interesting information. I did read that thread that you listed there U2L, but the way it was written was very confusing to me. I read it a couple of times before I posted my questions. Thanks though

Later-
Old 2008-01-25, 03:25 AM
1.81 TB/2.83 TB/1.57

Thankyou all, I will be using this info to help out in future :
Old 2008-01-25, 10:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossY View Post
Thanks for the help everybody!

Very interesting information. I did read that thread that you listed there U2L, but the way it was written was very confusing to me. I read it a couple of times before I posted my questions. Thanks though

Later-
If you have any comments on how we can make it less confusing, please let us know. We try to write the FAQs so they are easily understandable, but sometimes if you know how to do something, it is hard to write it for someone who does not.

(I need more coffee, I'm not sure that made sense. )

Old 2008-01-25, 11:01 AM
304.89 GB/834.42 GB/2.74

Well, the good news is, after the instructions and help I received from this thread I have been able to successfully re-seed a DVD that I had burned and taken of my HDD.

Everybody, Thanks again
Old 2008-01-25, 01:37 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
To keep things more organized in uTorrent, I rename the torrent following a certain convention, for example:

artistname_extrainfoifimportant_venue_city_country_1999.12.12 [AUD | SBD | MTX | PAL | NTSC]

The destination folders are named the same way.

When I decide to delete the video/audio files, after burning, for instance, I move those folders {minus the audio/video files} to a root folder called "DVDINFO" {categorized by artists' name (or genre)}.

This way I can check if I have already some particular torrent while keeping all the extra original info files.

EDIT: To play in the safe, I do a backup of the "DVDINFO" folder every now and then. It came handy once due a HD failure.

Last edited by dementrium; 2008-01-25 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2008-01-25, 05:09 PM
304.89 GB/834.42 GB/2.74

dementrium
Interesting. I think I was slowly working my way towards something like your system. Do you try and keep track of which tracker you got your files from? Do you just remember or do you not worry about it?
Old 2008-01-25, 06:11 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
dementrium
Interesting. I think I was slowly working my way towards something like your system. Do you try and keep track of which tracker you got your files from? Do you just remember or do you not worry about it?
To keep track of the original ...err.. tracker, I save the .html file of the post (with comments, etc), in the same destination folder of the torrent (along with the .txt, .md5, etc). Sometimes, is useful because someone point a tweak here and there, etc.

Another one I was using in the beginnings is to tag the torrents in uTorrent according the tracker: Dime, TTD, Bootcity, etc. (This proved useless since I am currently only in two trackers, so I changed the tagging system to band/artists).

Last edited by dementrium; 2008-01-25 at 06:16 PM.
Old 2008-01-25, 09:18 PM
304.89 GB/834.42 GB/2.74

dem

-tagging by tracker is exactly what I am doing now. There reason I am doing that is so I could go back and re-seed if I wanted to. Though I think I might try out something like what you are doing and see if that works better because I can't tell where and what the hell I got because they are scattered out over different places.

So basically you you
1.Download your torrent
2.Seed for a time frame
3.rename the .torrent folder
4.move the torrent folder minus files to master archive

Thanks, this is pretty interesting stuff
Old 2008-01-25, 10:06 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
dem

-tagging by tracker is exactly what I am doing now. There reason I am doing that is so I could go back and re-seed if I wanted to. Though I think I might try out something like what you are doing and see if that works better because I can't tell where and what the hell I got because they are scattered out over different places.

So basically you you
1.Download your torrent
2.Seed for a time frame
3.rename the .torrent folder
4.move the torrent folder minus files to master archive

Thanks, this is pretty interesting stuff
Well, not exactly that way.
Let's see.

1.Download the .torrent file.
2a.When uTorrent ask for a destination folder, I rename what it is by default (the seeder's file name) to my naming convention.
2b.Tag it with an special name "IAMHERE" within uTorrent.
3.Download and seed (yes, I do that, too. )
4a.Stop seeding. Tag according artist name within uTorrent.
4b.Burn (if not already). Wipe the audio/video files.
5.Move to the special "DVDINFO" folder structure mentioned earlier.

Note the "IAMHERE" silly tag within uTorrent. I usually mantain around the last 20 torrents or so under that name, so I can easily spot what's in the HD to resume seeding if needed (yes, I do that ).

This method is not rocket science , but it works, and you don't need to get into databases. If you come with some other refinements, I'm glad to hear it.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble