The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-14, 05:30 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Question Is it safe to burn a DVD to disc while you're seeding it?

I began to wonder about this issue after completing the download of David Gilmour's show at Royal Albert Hall in 2006. I'm seeding it now and will do so until i get a ratio of 1 on that show's torrent, which means i will be uploading for 22 hours more (according to my client - utorrent.) In the meantime, i'd like to burn this DVD to disk.
By the way, i like to make a backup copy of every torrent i download in a data DVD in order to be able to remove it from my hard drive when i need space and share it later on if i want to. Do you have any recommendations for me so that the backup copy i burn is a 100% like the files in my hard drive?

Thanks,

Roblov.

Last edited by roblov; 2007-09-14 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-14, 09:42 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Is it safe to burn a DVD to disc while you're seeding it?

You may simply stop your torrent and then burn the show and then start the torrent again. That's what I do.

Old 2007-09-14, 10:05 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
You may simply stop your torrent and then burn the show and then start the torrent again. That's what I do.
I know but i didn't want to stop it.
Old 2007-09-14, 10:43 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I don't think you HAVE to stop it. I don't burn that way. But I have heard people say you don't have to stop it. Sounds kinda risky to me.
Old 2007-09-14, 10:50 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
I don't think you HAVE to stop it. I don't burn that way. But I have heard people say you don't have to stop it. Sounds kinda risky to me.
Sounds risky to me too which is why I don't do it. I suppose if you want to try it out, you can make sure the md5 checksums are put into the EXTRAS_TS folder when you burn and that they have the correct path, ie "*../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP" etc and then you can see if it verifies after the burn.

Old 2007-09-14, 10:54 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
Ok. I don't know if it's risky but, on the other hand, i don't know how intensive is utorrent on the hard drive when it's seeding. That's why i ask this. If both tasks (burning and seeding) are too intensive for the HD, something may go wrong.

Thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-14, 10:55 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

its risky that your burned copy might not be good, plus it gets complicated if you want to use the EXTRAS_TS method (and you should...).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-09-14, 11:29 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I think the reason it avoids accessing the files at the same time (which can't happen) is due to the buffers used with burning. That's what I would be worried about.... file permission errors. utorrent hardly uses any resources so that's probably not a concern.

But why try? it's not that big a deal to stop it and burn. Then restart it.
Old 2007-09-14, 02:22 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
its risky that your burned copy might not be good, plus it gets complicated if you want to use the EXTRAS_TS method (and you should...).
What is the EXTRAS_TS method?
Old 2007-09-14, 02:26 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblov
What is the EXTRAS_TS method?
Ok. I found what i can do with the EXTRAS_TS folder in another thread.

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-14, 02:30 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Perhaps it won't be a bad burn but definitely it won't be the best. Difference between uTorrent and i.e. Azureus is that uTorrent uses as much as possible hard disc, while Azureus stores most data in RAM - hence it 'eats' more memory resources.

For my experience I can state that any additional program in the background which is active (HD / RAM) has impact on burn quality, not mention such which uses the same files being burnt.

So, I would never burn files which are in the same time read by any other program. Whole DVD takes approx. 15 minutes to burn, so it is not long, and big upload loss.

The above applies to Windows XP / Vista / Linux. I don't how it is on Mac.
Old 2007-09-14, 08:34 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Perhaps it won't be a bad burn but definitely it won't be the best. Difference between uTorrent and i.e. Azureus is that uTorrent uses as much as possible hard disc, while Azureus stores most data in RAM - hence it 'eats' more memory resources.

For my experience I can state that any additional program in the background which is active (HD / RAM) has impact on burn quality, not mention such which uses the same files being burnt.

So, I would never burn files which are in the same time read by any other program. Whole DVD takes approx. 15 minutes to burn, so it is not long, and big upload loss.

The above applies to Windows XP / Vista / Linux. I don't how it is on Mac.
Thanks for your explanation. I didn't know uTorrent relies more on the hard disk than Azureus.

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-14, 11:41 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

its ok to burn while seeding - Ill usually stop seeding for the 10 mins it takes.

you are asking your computer to multitask - it was a big deal 15yrs ago - not very exciting today.
Quote:
While a computer may be viewed as running one gigantic program stored in its main memory, in some systems it is necessary to give the appearance of running several programs simultaneously. This is achieved by having the computer switch rapidly between running each program in turn. One means by which this is done is with a special signal called an interrupt which can periodically cause the computer to stop executing instructions where it was and do something else instead. By remembering where it was executing prior to the interrupt, the computer can return to that task later. If several programs are running "at the same time", then the interrupt generator might be causing several hundred interrupts per second, causing a program switch each time. Since modern computers typically execute instructions several orders of magnitude faster than human perception, it may appear that many programs are running at the same time even though only one is ever executing in any given instant. This method of multitasking is sometimes termed "time-sharing" since each program is allocated a "slice" of time in turn.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble