The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-05-01, 04:27 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Why aren't FLAC shows tagged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpablobay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-05-02, 10:25 AM
94.23 GB/212.20 GB/2.25

Bottom line is nobody knows for sure the lineage of anything presented online, and if the original taper is bothered that much by people bullshitting one of their tapes, then they can either stop circulating tapes or up master transfers themselves, other than that there is no way of policing it, so if a particular recording only circulates as such and the taper is unwilling or chooses not to remedy the situation most people would rather have A version of said tape than none at all.
Old 2010-05-02, 11:20 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZJoker View Post
Bottom line is nobody knows for sure the lineage of anything presented online, and if the original taper is bothered that much by people bullshitting one of their tapes, then they can either stop circulating tapes or up master transfers themselves, other than that there is no way of policing it, so if a particular recording only circulates as such and the taper is unwilling or chooses not to remedy the situation most people would rather have A version of said tape than none at all.
wow what a reply.

Man, certainly it isn't that hard to comperhend?

Surely you could figure it out, right?

It's really simple. Don't lie, it isn't necessary.

Lies are lies and why not just stop lying?

Stop lying, instead.

PERIOD.

Stop the lies. Just stop lying whether it's within the tags or in the data field OR whether it's on the phone. STOP LYING, don't make it up..

If you don't know the lineage or any of the information, don't LIE about it. P E R I O D.

Last edited by freezer; 2010-05-02 at 11:27 AM.
Old 2010-05-07, 04:17 AM
TTD VIP
462.92 GB/322.15 GB/0.70

Freezer surely didnt point to the Led Zep community with this...
Old 2010-05-07, 12:15 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you name the best 1 or 2 programs to use please.
I use mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I found this to be the easiest for me. YMMV.

For Album, I put the following format:

2010-05-07 - San Francisco, CA
Old 2011-01-13, 11:55 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

I was just browsing for something else and this thread caught my eye. It seems that not many people know how to use the native tagger in flac frontend, so I wrote a little tutorial for a few friends the other day. Might as well share it here, if it can help anyone.

I can confirm the flac tags show up in at least 4 programs I use (foobar 2000, winamp, db.Poweramp and Soundforge 10 - view->metadata->summary information) The only catch is that you have to name the files, either manually or in another program.

Tagging in flac frontend:

You must first name the.wav files to their respective song names manually or in another program. I just have the track number and the song name.
Next, If you go to flac frontend and click the button for tag configuration, you'll get a popup window where you can put your info in. If you mouse over the "custom" button, you'll see the options for adding the information in a certain order. Finally, make sure to have "add tags" checked.

If you are tagging the files for a show you just tracked, it makes sense to do it in the native flac frontend, because you can tag at the same time you are encoding and removing any SBE's. Once the .wav files are named, you just drag & drop them in and hit "encode".(make sure they are lined up properly. Sometimes you have to go back and take up a space or add a '0' in numbers 1-9
After the usual process, you will see the tags being written (it goes pretty quick)

Etree wiki on flac-tagging:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacMetadata

free software programs like foobar and winamp read flac tags. Here is a (slightly outdated) list of hardware devices' that also play flacs and read flac tags:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

If anyone has anything else to add or correct, please feel free. This surely isn't the last word on this subject. Also, if anyone that uses a flac-playing hardware device other than a computer uses this method successfully, I'd be interested to know if they show up properly. I'm working on going virtually disc-less, but it's going to take a bit of time, and money.

screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flac_tagging.jpg
( 242.8 KB, 168 views)

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2011-01-14, 10:39 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Do you have to tag each file separately with Flac Frontend?

Like, do you need to type in the Artist name for each file?
Old 2011-01-14, 11:08 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Do you have to tag each file separately with Flac Frontend?

Like, do you need to type in the Artist name for each file?
it has some automation options.
Old 2011-01-14, 12:02 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

tag and rename works fine here.... flac frontend do people still REALLY use that pos app ?

needless to say tlh is all you need flac frontend died long ago imho..
Old 2011-01-14, 12:04 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Each time you tag a new show, you do need to re-type the Artist's name & date etc. in the box, but you only have to name the individual files. Eac time you do a new show, once you type the info in the box, It tags each one with the artist, date & venue etc. automatically. If you want to be really lazy (like me ), you can just cut & paste the track number & song name off the setlist you typed, when naming the wav files.

This method would be best, I think, for a new show you just cut the .wav files for, and you are converting to flac for the first time. If you had tons of old files you want to tag, I think a program that can process by the batch, (like the one Ghost in the Machine mentioned at the beginning) would be best. I just wanted to mention this, because it's simple and doesn't require an outside program, or writing funky code. A lot of people I've talked to didn't even know how to use the tagging feature in frontend. It's a good and easy way for a beginner to learn how to tag flacs.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2011-01-14, 12:12 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

To answer your question, I definitely use TLH more these days, but sometimes I have a need to do something in FF. I'd say it's dated, but hardly a POS, program in the way the SHN converter was. It still does the job perfectly without all those corrupted files you''d get with .shns.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2011-01-14, 12:35 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

foobar live show tagger

etree-scripts (command line/linux)
flacify command will convert files to flac and (or if already flac files) parse the text file for artist, date, venue, lineage, etc. and then create ffp file if none exists.

Neither are entirely reliable (they can produce unexpected results!) but both do generally save a lot of time when tagging live shows.
Old 2011-02-25, 12:44 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

Help me "un-futz" - Can I remove tags? Please tell me how. It's just one more thing to go wrong.

I have this fileset that got tagged incorrectly by the original uploader (not from TTD). Somehow everything was tagged with wrong titles and tracknames. Interesting that the track names are no problem, but when I load in my player - the files now play out of order. These files are a mess. I would like to share the show sometime, but not like this.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:10 PM
That guy in the corner
478.37 GB/250.84 GB/0.52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Help me "un-futz" - Can I remove tags? Please tell me how. It's just one more thing to go wrong.

I have this fileset that got tagged incorrectly by the original uploader (not from TTD). Somehow everything was tagged with wrong titles and tracknames. Interesting that the track names are no problem, but when I load in my player - the files now play out of order. These files are a mess. I would like to share the show sometime, but not like this.

tag&rename has an option to strip all tags off of files..

http://download.cnet.com/Tag-amp-Ren...-10041852.html

you can strip the bad ones out and then add what you want.

I use a squeezebox server for straeming all my tunes.. I now have uTorrent set to seed all torrenst to 500% then stop.. at that point I tag all my files w/ artist, Date as the album ( YYYY-MM-DD so it all lines up chronologically in my playlists) Genre, year.. w/ tag&renames there are like 100 tags you could out in it.

tagged with all that good information I can hit random play in my server and have confidence that if someone asks me about a particular track playing, I can answer all that pertinemt information for them by just looking at the info on the song playing and not having to worry about looking up some text file

Old 2011-02-25, 04:02 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

add or remove all the tags you wish with tag and rename 3.5.7 shit just ownz

and even scrolls in winamp or foobar.. simple as heck to use too.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble