The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-03, 05:47 PM
10.97 GB/3.76 GB/0.34

Audio - Soundboard Remastering existing stuff...... but good.

Hi,

Just read a post about fools remastering existing concerts.

I have done just that! But I'd still like to share it. I believe it's a significant improvement on the original. I see the points of view expressed in the post but:-

I'm an experienced live/studio engineer.
I'm not out to rip anyone off or con anyone into downloading something they already have.
I believe that this remaster is sharper, better, cleaner, crisper and louder that the available release.
I've mastered it through Waves' L3, Linear Phase EQ and MaxxBass in Cubase and Wavelab.

Any takers? I don't yet know how to create torrents but am willing to learn and share what I think is a excellent quality significant remaster of AC/DC's famous 02/11/79 Hammersmith gig.

What do you think?

Regards,

Anthony
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-03, 06:07 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Remastering existing stuff...... but good.

My feeling is that many of the users on the site probably have some audio background and likely many of the software applications you are using. When it comes to trading, it is becoming increasingly difficult to sift through the revisions and doctored shows making the rounds. I would encourage people who alter shows to enjoy them for themselves but not circulate them widely. If a show I taped or that was given to me to share by another taper was altered in the name of "remastering", I would not be happy.
Old 2005-02-03, 06:40 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

While I agree with Homebrew on the difficulty of sorting through "versions" I think most of us have benefited from the technical audio improvement efforts certain individuals have bestowed upon some now classic recordings. If there was someway to be sure it would never lose the "Remastered" title when it was traded, I would be OK with someone's honest reworking of my own recordings, that cannot be guaranteed however. The biggest problem I see is how subjective "improvement" is and while not everyone has experience as an audio engineer, nobody has the same "ears" and internal audio equipment. The tools to perform the deed have become commonplace enough so that almost anyone could adulterate the "original" to their own liking provided they can determine the original from all the "remastered" versions.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-02-03, 07:58 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

How about putting up sample clips?

Or seeding original and remaster together in one torrent?
Old 2005-02-11, 07:45 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I agree, a good thing would be to circulate both versions together. There area LOT of bad remasters out there, but in the case of yourself and some others, remastering material really does do a godo service to the community. Well notate what you have and the best information you have as to where it came from and seed it.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble