The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-28, 08:50 PM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

Firewall Frustration

Well ive been locked into this computer for over several hours trying to figure out how to open ports 6881-6889 for my bit tornado client using the guidelines of portforward.com. Needless to say im riding the thin razor of INSANITY!!
My confusion right now lies in that my "cmd" prompt > "ipconfig/all" depicts my IP Address as: 192.168.15.xxx

This is for my Linksys Router Model:RT31P2 which I use for Vonage phone company. Initially I was looking for the IP address associated with my internet connection RCA or Thomson Model: DCM425 but "portforward.com" did not offer that as a router option. Is that in fact the router I should be paying attention to?

Next I used the site "whatismyipaddress.com" to tell me my IP address it it states that it is 67.174.110.xxx so which is my IP address?!

Ive gone to my linksys router and opened ports for Bit Tornado 6881-6889 under application and gaming port forwarding. Next I have gone under my WinXP firewall and made exceptions for port 6881 through 6889 individually. I even turned the firewall off but the yeller light is still on. I can see in my client that im only connected to leechers and not a single seeder. so im just trying to rectify if anyone can throw me some suggestions.

Right now Im using 67.174.110.xxx for the IP address in my BitTornado "advanced Prefs", however when I check the statistics for the torrent im identified as 192.168.15.xxx (red6881). On top of that my username isnt attached to my stats while everyone esle has, whats up with that. I dont know maybe that is another clue as to what im doing wrong. I would appreciate anyones insight.

I want to know if im wasting my time playing around with the linksys router and if i need to focus specifically to the internet broadband connection.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-28, 08:59 PM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

Re: Firewall Frustration

oh i do see now that im connecting to some seeders and most all leechers. My d/L is moving faster than it ever has yet on this torrent. (GD 10-31-80 DVD) but im still slower than others, still yellow on the client, and still highlighted red in statistics. Maybe my fiddling around has improved something?....
Old 2005-08-29, 12:03 AM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

INmy router i go to setup and there is achoice to pick between "automatically find IP address" or setup "static IP". Now I presume that I need a static IP address, but fiddling around with this knocks out internet connection and phone service.
Old 2005-08-29, 09:59 AM
lsmf
11.44 GB/10.00 GB/0.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by burglecutt
Right now Im using 67.174.110.xxx for the IP address in my BitTornado "advanced Prefs", however when I check the statistics for the torrent im identified as 192.168.15.xxx (red6881). On top of that my username isnt attached to my stats while everyone esle has, whats up with that. I dont know maybe that is another clue as to what im doing wrong. I would appreciate anyones insight.
I would leave the ip address blank in the "advanced prefs" (bittornado) as it should find it automatically. Iīve never needed to make options there.

Everytime I went into issues being firewalled, my router was the reason.

If I understand this right 192.168.15.xxx is your local IP address, means, if you connect another computer to your router it will get an local ip adress like 192.168.16.xxx.
So this makes it look strange to me that 192.168.15.xxx is showing up in the statistics of the torrent. Your external IP should show up (67.174.110.xxx).

Some suggestions:
I have a draytek router, so I donīt know if you have this options. Every time after changing the config of the router I restart it (Restart router with current config).
Also I close and reopen bittornado after changing the configuration.

Quote:
INmy router i go to setup and there is achoice to pick between "automatically find IP address" or setup "static IP". Now I presume that I need a static IP address, but fiddling around with this knocks out internet connection and phone service.
"automatically find IP address"

Linksys RT31P2
Old 2005-08-29, 07:40 PM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

According to portforward.com BitTornado uses ports 10000-10004, but from threads ive read people are still using 6881-6889. so thats what im going with.
can someone confirm that BitTornado uses 6881?
Do I need to make any adjustments according to my external IP 67.174.110.xxx or ignore that?
Old 2005-08-29, 07:48 PM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

Also in configuring my router:
Under Port Range Forwarding it is highly recommended I use a static IP address. Now ive done what portforward.com directed with Windows XP, but my router itself is configured to find an IP address automatically. Will this cause conflict?
Old 2005-08-29, 08:44 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

I think the way you have it your PC will be assigned a static IP by the router but the router will automagically be assigned an IP from your ISP, that should be OK.

As for BitTornado it can be set for either my win2000 pc is still 6881-6889 and XP has 10000-60000

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-08-30, 08:39 AM
One-Eyed Chesire
834.23 GB/1.29 TB/1.58

I have found the big problem to be that people do not configure their router correctly for port forwarding.

You need to go into the port forwarding page and forward the ports you have assigned to your BT client. It does not matter what range you use (6881- or 55200-), but they must match in the router. You need to tell the router to forward that range of TCP to the IP address you got when you did your ipconfig cmd (in your case, 192.168.115.xxx). The problem people can run into is that if you have a LAN with multiple pcs connected to that router, when you reboot your pcs, you may get a different IP assigned. That is why you must assign static ips to each pc, which is done by going into the network properties/tcpip setup on the pc and assigning a unique ip address to each pc on the lan (boot up one at a time, to avoid conflicts). You will also need to assign DNS server addresses, so make a note of them at the ipconfig /all info screen.

You will then need to shut down all pcs and reboot the router, then bring them back up.

As stated, you do not have to enter any ip address in the BT client.

That should do it, but if you need help configuring IPs or have other questions, ask.

Here is the above info again that I had posted in another place:

Get a green light and you will get better speed up and down; good for you, good for the community, good for your ratio!

It's not that hard, folks. Follow the guidelines for setting the ports used by your client to match the ports you forward in your router.

I will share the one important step that most of these FAQs overlook:

If you have more than one pc on a router (and you probably do, or else why have a router - except as another firewall), then you must make sure that you are forwarding the ports to the pc you are using for your BT.

If you open a cmd prompt (Start/Run/cmd [enter]), and type ipconfig /all
(while in here, make a note of your DNS server addresses which you will need later if/when you set up static IPs)

you will see the address assigned to your pc. That is the one you need to forward ports to!

The catch to the above is that if you shut down pcs on your LAN, the next time you boot up, your IP will probably change.

The way around that is to assign static IPs to your pcs:

Under Network Properties/Internet Protocol Properties, instaed of 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically', click on 'Use the Following IP Address' and assign something like 192.168.1.101 (following the guidelines to conform to your router's IP assignments. You will then probably need to also assign DNS server addresses. Aren't you glad you wrote them down before?

Please ask for more detailed help, and you will get it. If you get your router manual (available online), you can do it.

Aiko
Old 2005-08-31, 12:46 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

I have been able to get around the changing IP on reboot by just enabling all the possible IP's to have the ports fowarded in the router ie: 192.168.1.101 through 103 etc. I ran into a case where static IP's just wouldn't work, maybe it was various OS's or wireless and ethernet issues, I can't remember right now but listing all the ip's worked.

Quote:
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-08-31, 08:26 AM
One-Eyed Chesire
834.23 GB/1.29 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
I have been able to get around the changing IP on reboot by just enabling all the possible IP's to have the ports fowarded in the router ie: 192.168.1.101 through 103 etc. I ran into a case where static IP's just wouldn't work, maybe it was various OS's or wireless and ethernet issues, I can't remember right now but listing all the ip's worked.
I tried that at one point to (forwarding the same ports to each IP on the LAN), thinking that it should work in theory, but for some reason it didn't work in practice when I did it. But if it works for you great. If you do end up with a yellow light, again, you may need to go static.

BTW, port triggering will not work.

Aiko
Old 2005-08-31, 10:19 PM
1.59 TB/658.72 GB/0.41

I dont have multiple PCs. the router I have is the one Vonage gave to me for broadband based phone service (phone companies are pure thieves). Sorry to move backwards here but now im getting a "error: permission denied!!!" did I step on someones toes. I really appreciate the help. its given me good insight as far as approaching this in different directions, because I feel as if there is some loop hole Im skipping over. Thank you for the insight.
Old 2005-08-31, 10:25 PM
One-Eyed Chesire
834.23 GB/1.29 TB/1.58

I am not familiar with the routers that Vonage uses, but do you have a model number or the manual for it? Do you know the ip address of the router so you can get into it and change its settings?

Anyone else here that is knowledgable about Vonage specific issues?

Aiko
Old 2005-08-31, 10:43 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
I dont have multiple PCs. the router I have is the one Vonage gave to me for broadband based phone service (phone companies are pure thieves). Sorry to move backwards here but now im getting a "error: permission denied!!!" did I step on someones toes. I really appreciate the help. its given me good insight as far as approaching this in different directions, because I feel as if there is some loop hole Im skipping over. Thank you for the insight.
The permission denied is not any kind of action taken by the site ops it's just an indication that things are not working properly on your end.

Don't know if it will help but...
From http://www.techworld.com/mobility/re...303&productid=
There was one small problem. The disc and paper instructions said to plug our PC into one of the Vonage router's Ethernet ports. When we did this, we could use the Internet after a fashion, but secure web pages timed out and email went sluggishly, presumably because the connection now went through two Ethernet segments with DHCP on them. We plugged the PC back into its old router port, and everything worked fine. Vonage needs to inlcude instructions for router users - at the risk of making set-up look more complicated.

Also found this HERE

If you are like me, I cant stand it when I buy a product outright to use and a company feels like they have to own MY product. I dont think so. Anyway if you want to mess with your adapter, just make sure you know what you are doing, because Vonage locks you out of certain settings so that you wont mess them up. If you do mess them up, I wont take any of the blame considering I got this information from VONAGE, Not from hacking. Hope it works for you.

Follow these step to unlock the ADMIN portion of your Web Interface Linksys PAP2 Adapter.

First keep the PAP2 adapter from accessing the Internet
by unplugging your the cable modem.

Now do in these steps:

Pick up your phone and dial:

Then dial 73738#
Password is: (usually) 7756112# could be: 8995523#
enter 1 to confirm press # Hang up

pick up the phone and dial
then 7932#
Password is: 78196365
Press 1 to Confirm and then hang up.

This just enabled the Web Interface if needed.

Now if you need the IP address of your PAP2 Dial
Enter: 110# and put that number in your Web Browser
You should gain access to the web server at this point.

Here is the fun stuff. Click Admin Login in the top right hand side.

I assume this is where many people have been stuck!

User name: admin
Password: kImkGPHA

CASE SENSITIVE!!

Anything you do after this is up to you!

Quote:
Old 2005-08-31, 10:46 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
According to portforward.com BitTornado uses ports 10000-10004, but from threads ive read people are still using 6881-6889. so thats what im going with.
can someone confirm that BitTornado uses 6881?
Do I need to make any adjustments according to my external IP 67.174.110.xxx or ignore that?
What ports do you have Bit Tornado configured to use? That's the fucking question.

If you're forwarding 6881-6889 because "everyone else is" BUT Tornado is using totally different ports it won't matter.

The ports you forward on your router have to match the ports that you tell Tornado to use.

So....set up Tornado first with whatever ports (default is nice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-08-31, 10:54 PM
28.74 GB/32.16 GB/1.12

I wouldnt use 6881-6889 as many blacklist those now because of BT
You can choose so many others,,, here is a listing you can look through
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/inde...tIsBlacklisted

Port listings here
http://ports.tantalo.net/