The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-27, 06:05 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

AARGH...firewalled

Hi all, just switched from Comcrap to Verizon FIOS and I am now firewalled again but don't remember what I need to do to open ports, etc. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Thanks for any and all help. I know info is posted here but I am overwhelmed setting up new system.
LG
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-27, 06:18 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: AARGH...firewalled

Best thing to do is head on over to portforward.com and look under the Port Forward section for a tutorial for your router.

Old 2008-02-28, 03:01 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

Hi Lynn, thank you. I checked this site and am still lost. I am using an HP desktop system with VISTA (no wireless). I am not running wireless. I found info on my router (Actiontec M1424-WR) and tried to follow the instructions however was not able to find all of the places I need to go to change things, and the graphics provided were not the same as what is showing up on my computer.

I am also running VISTA's firewall as well as Verizon's internet security suite. I did go into the security suite and created an entry to allow access to the port I am using (50022).

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 2008-02-28, 04:46 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.13 TB/1.61

Maybe Lynn or someone else can answer your specific question. I realize this is more generic (but I hope it helps). I wish I could help with your specific router issue and I don’t know much about Vista. I should stress that this is my experience (and my opinion). Here is a list of what I believe is needed to open up and turn on (not just the issue with tweaking your router).

1. The first thing I did was to set up a static IP. I trust you that you got that part covered. I used this site to steer me http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

2. Be sure to open up the firewall (I have windows xp). I started googling “vista firewall howto” and found lots of hits. Maybe someone could post a link for you? http://gruven42.webhop.org/xpfwbt/xp_firewall_bt.htm

3. Regarding port forwarding on my router, I discovered that I would need the DNS Server # from my ip... so, I called them. Once I had those numbers, I was good to go. However; you might try to find the DNS Numbers on your own before calling your ip.

4. Don’t forget to force encryption (my client is Utorrent, does your client have this option)?

5. Choose an optimal port number ... something in the 40000 or 50000 range ... after you plug it into your router settings and save , make sure the port is enabled in the xp (Vista) firewall, and then make sure your torrent client has the same port as windows and the router . All 3 should have the same port enabled .

Good luck! :P
Old 2008-02-28, 04:55 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

Hey there, thanks for your response. I did everything you list in your instructions but still am stuck and firewalled everywhere. This is soooo frustrating, I went through this last year when I started doing the BT thing and figured everything out , had no idea when I switchd to Verizon that I would be going thorugh all of these headaches again.

Any and all input from others is appreciated. Although I am no expert/techhie on internet stuff, I am usually really good at weeding through the mess myself and figuring it out. Not this time though.

Please help!!
Old 2008-02-28, 06:00 PM
stop your jibber jabber !
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

login to router >
Select Enable Applications (front page)
Select Add (bottom of screen)
Select the 'name of your computer' under Networked Computer/Device
Protocol = Select Add
(follow the wizard): give the service a name (any name will work).
Select: Add Server Ports
Protocol = TCP
Source Ports = ANY
Destination Ports = SINGLE (then add the port # of your torrent client)
Apply
Apply (again.. unless you wish to enter multiple ports)
Apply (third time) will exit the wizard & ports will be open

You Do Not Have to Map A Static IP Address With This Modem.
The modem is smart enough to update the routing table itself via name resolution

..pretty cool, huh.
Old 2008-02-28, 06:14 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Unfortunately, I can't help with what is probably the problem - Vista firewall and Verizon security. I've never even been on a computer with Vista installed (and it's been ages since I've been on a PC!). You may want to try to disable both of those and see if you can be seen at canyouseeme.org .

Old 2008-02-29, 05:02 AM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

Thanks everyone for all of your recommendations and help. I'll give it a try and hopefully will figure it out!
Old 2008-02-29, 03:56 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

Hi everyone, I am back. Mr. T, thanks for your info, it really helped. But...I am still firewalled and very frustrated. I had to to into the Verizon Security Suite and add the port I want to open and I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly there. I clicked to add the port, selected TCP/UDP, for direction I left that at any direction (other choices were inbound or outbound) and then entered my port number. Below that, there is a button I can click on for other protocol and a box for protocol number. I left those blank. Is this something I should have filled out too?

I just got off the phone w/FIOS support and they are unable to help me. I believe what Lynn says above is correct, that my firewalls are in conflict with each other as I had this problem before. However, when I turn them off (one at a time, not both), it does nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction before I pull out the sledgehammer??
Old 2008-02-29, 04:28 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

see if you can allow your torrent client as a trusted application in both of the firewalls (Verizon and Vista)
Old 2008-02-29, 04:37 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladie glitter View Post
Hi everyone, I am back. Mr. T, thanks for your info, it really helped. But...I am still firewalled and very frustrated. I had to to into the Verizon Security Suite and add the port I want to open and I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly there. I clicked to add the port, selected TCP/UDP, for direction I left that at any direction (other choices were inbound or outbound) and then entered my port number. Below that, there is a button I can click on for other protocol and a box for protocol number. I left those blank. Is this something I should have filled out too?

I just got off the phone w/FIOS support and they are unable to help me. I believe what Lynn says above is correct, that my firewalls are in conflict with each other as I had this problem before. However, when I turn them off (one at a time, not both), it does nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction before I pull out the sledgehammer??
Mr T knows IT

you missed this step & didnt put any info in. - here is the correct info you need to add - the only thing I dont know is your port #
Quote:
Protocol = Select Add
(follow the wizard): give the service a name (any name will work).
Select: Add Server Ports
Protocol = TCP
Source Ports = ANY
Destination Ports = SINGLE (then add the port # of your torrent client)
Apply
Apply (again.. unless you wish to enter multiple ports)
Apply (third time) will exit the wizard & ports will be open
its not a conflict - vista 'opened the port' when you installed the program - its your router
follow Mr. T's instructions they are accurate & complete.

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2008-02-29 at 04:42 PM.
Old 2008-02-29, 04:37 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

thank you, will try that now
Old 2008-02-29, 04:38 PM
100.30 GB/532.51 GB/5.31

Tubular, I've already done that, Azureus is a trusted client in both firewalls.

Direwolf, the questions I am asking are to make settings in my Verizon firewall, not in my router. I've already taken care of that part and it is correct. It is now the firewalls that are in conflict (I think)

Thanks for your responses
Old 2008-02-29, 04:43 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladie glitter View Post
Tubular, I've already done that, Azureus is a trusted client in both firewalls.

Direwolf, the questions I am asking are to make settings in my Verizon firewall, not in my router. I've already taken care of that part and it is correct. It is now the firewalls that are in conflict (I think)

Thanks for your responses
i have Verizon fios and I have the exact same router.
if you are using utorrent (or any other torrent client that uses ONE port) the instructions given are complete and accurate.
if you go messing with other setting you will be fubar
Old 2008-02-29, 04:46 PM
1.21 GB/2.97 GB/2.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
if you go messing with other setting you will be fubar
trust him. he's not as dumb as he pretends.
and you dont want to be fubar

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble