The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-20, 03:21 AM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

DVD recorder advice

I hope this is the right forum for this question:

I would like to get a new DVD recorder, I have a Liteon but would like to upgrade to something that automatically removes commercials? Do such machines exist?

Also, do hard drive DVD recorders also record on discs, like DVD-RW and DVD-Rs? Are there recorders that can record in both formats?

What are good brands and models, if anyone can make suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-21, 01:15 AM
Cruddy Old Shirt collector :-)
3.28 GB/4.40 GB/1.34

Re: DVD recorder advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
I hope this is the right forum for this question:

I would like to get a new DVD recorder, I have a Liteon but would like to upgrade to something that automatically removes commercials? Do such machines exist?

Also, do hard drive DVD recorders also record on discs, like DVD-RW and DVD-Rs? Are there recorders that can record in both formats?

What are good brands and models, if anyone can make suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I am pretty sure that DVD recorders have not yet been made which edit out the adverts, but if you buy a decent one with a hard drive its real simple to edit out the adverts before you run the show to disk to archive.
Panasonic DVD recorders seem to the most accurate for editing and they can record in DVD-r DVD-RW and DVD Ram, though I pretty much only use the hard drive, then edit shows before I run them to DVD-R.
I have other DVD recorders by Samsung and Pionner but I prefer that Panasonics (I now have four of them) other people may thing other wise.

The only thing I am not too happy with is using these for is video capture of old tapes, if its a concert I filmed years ago on video 8 or Hi8 they are great for capture via the firewire cable, but I tried to convert some of my 200+ betamax tapes and I thought they were not so hot even though I am using top of the range Beta VCRS in mint condition via expensive AV cables and only doing capture in XP mode.
The tapes are almost 30 years old and look perfect on a 25 inch Sony CRT TV but on a brand new 42 inch plasma they do not look so good, maybe I am being fussy though.
Old 2007-12-21, 09:40 AM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrare View Post
I am pretty sure that DVD recorders have not yet been made which edit out the adverts, but if you buy a decent one with a hard drive its real simple to edit out the adverts before you run the show to disk to archive.
Panasonic DVD recorders seem to the most accurate for editing and they can record in DVD-r DVD-RW and DVD Ram, though I pretty much only use the hard drive, then edit shows before I run them to DVD-R.
I have other DVD recorders by Samsung and Pionner but I prefer that Panasonics (I now have four of them) other people may thing other wise.

The only thing I am not too happy with is using these for is video capture of old tapes, if its a concert I filmed years ago on video 8 or Hi8 they are great for capture via the firewire cable, but I tried to convert some of my 200+ betamax tapes and I thought they were not so hot even though I am using top of the range Beta VCRS in mint condition via expensive AV cables and only doing capture in XP mode.
The tapes are almost 30 years old and look perfect on a 25 inch Sony CRT TV but on a brand new 42 inch plasma they do not look so good, maybe I am being fussy though.
Thanks, your reply is very helpful.

If I can record from the HD to disc, it's perfect.

Do you know if you can create chapters and menus with the DVD recorder, or does that need to be done on the PC?

Thanks again.
Old 2007-12-21, 11:01 AM
3.28 GB/4.40 GB/1.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
Thanks, your reply is very helpful.

If I can record from the HD to disc, it's perfect.

Do you know if you can create chapters and menus with the DVD recorder, or does that need to be done on the PC?

Thanks again.
I think with most you can set the chapter points where ever you want them or it just sets random ones every five minutes or so, the Panasonics do give the option of both. they do make basic menus which allow a fair bit of information to go on them. I often record stuff on the panasonics use DVD decrypter to copy the disk to my PC then author a nice menu with TMPGEnc DVD author, dead easy.
Old 2007-12-21, 12:10 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrare View Post
I think with most you can set the chapter points where ever you want them or it just sets random ones every five minutes or so, the Panasonics do give the option of both. they do make basic menus which allow a fair bit of information to go on them. I often record stuff on the panasonics use DVD decrypter to copy the disk to my PC then author a nice menu with TMPGEnc DVD author, dead easy.
I use Tsunami which is also very user friendly.

One last question: which model do you have, and does it have PCM audio out? I imagine it would have AC3 and DTS as well.

Thanks again.
Old 2007-12-21, 01:40 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Is it possible to capture pure digitally (except Tivo) in the US? I mean not by standalone re-encoding crap by a dedicated cable, terrestrial or satellite card or PVR?

If so, and you know at least basic of DVD authoring then why to buy SA recorder?
Old 2007-12-21, 02:17 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Is it possible to capture pure digitally (except Tivo) in the US? I mean not by standalone re-encoding crap by a dedicated cable, terrestrial or satellite card or PVR?

If so, and you know at least basic of DVD authoring then why to buy SA recorder?
I use the DVD recorder like a VCR, the one I have now only records on disc, so if I want to record two consecutive programs I would have to do it in poor quality.

With a hard drive recorder you can record up to 20 hours in excellent quality, and then burn to disc what you want to keep.

I don't have HD service, just an LCD TV. I think the Panasonic recorders are upconverting also?
Old 2007-12-21, 02:26 PM
3.28 GB/4.40 GB/1.34

Quote:

Pawel, I am not in the USA and so cannot answer your question re digital capture.

As for DVD authoring, I do author a lot of DVDs and this is one of mine
http://metallifukinca.com/photoplog/index.php?n=55

I have standalones because they are easy for recording off TV broadcasts, its that simple
Old 2007-12-21, 03:29 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Standalone recorders re-encode both video and audio, while PC cards or PVRs allow to capture the signal as it is, without any modification.

Even the video from standalone recorder has higher bitrate that the original, it's not that sharp as captured digitally.
Old 2007-12-21, 04:42 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Standalone recorders re-encode both video and audio, while PC cards or PVRs allow to capture the signal as it is, without any modification.

Even the video from standalone recorder has higher bitrate that the original, it's not that sharp as captured digitally.

This is useful to know.

Do HD DVD recorders encode the video and audio also?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble