The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-09, 02:57 PM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Multiple Instances of Same User in Completed List

I was just wondering how and why this happens, when people appear multiple times in the "Last Few Who Completed" or the related Full List. For example:

Last Few Who Completed
fridley, dougprit, Charles Lucking, jonovox, Tolli, oldcoyote, Cantrip, oldcoyote, oldcoyote, oldcoyote, John Dough ...

Seems pretty much ubiquitous on old torrents...just curious.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-09, 04:41 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Multiple Instances of Same User in Completed List

has something to do with "ghosts"...i personally have no idea what that means, or why it occurs, but it doesn't affect anything and after a little while, you'll notice them disappear and the user will only appear once in the list...
Old 2007-04-09, 04:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm not totally sure of why it happens, but some people's clients will just keep yacking away to the tracker telling the tracker that they have completed the torrent. I used to notice this a lot in the logs on the old server for people using the regular bittorrent client. I don't know if it's still happening, but I know it isn't showing up in the logs anymore.

(Just checked the error logs and noticed a couple of IPs pounding the hell out of the site - like wtf?)

Old 2007-04-09, 05:12 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Seen this a couple times on my torrents as well. Was wondering about it myself. Thanks for the (non)explanation.
Old 2007-04-10, 02:09 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
has something to do with "ghosts"...i personally have no idea what that means, or why it occurs, but it doesn't affect anything and after a little while, you'll notice them disappear and the user will only appear once in the list...
"ghosts" segues perfectly into my next pressing question: What happened to all of the the people that used to be between the commas in the whosnatchedthis.php list? Where did they all go?

For example:

sheetserr, sheetserr, , , sheetserr, , , sheetserr, , sheetserr, , , , , , , , , , mamou, , , , , , , , , , , , mccabepatrick, , , , Painter, , sheetserr, , rfox, , , , , , sTELFAIR31, sheetserr, , , , , , , , , , sheetserr, sheetserr, , sheetserr, sheetserr, , , , mcfoster, ken, Joe90, czarklee, modrovsk, , KentAllard2, Olof Björner, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , perez, , , , , , , , vinylguy, , aprotosimaki, , BassFace, qushner, anonuser,

Inquiring minds probably have better questions to ask, but idle minds are inquisitive about such universal existential mysteries.
Old 2007-04-10, 06:24 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
What happened to all of the the people that used to be between the commas in the whosnatchedthis.php list? Where did they all go?
shitty share ratios...so we have em locked up in the basement...Lynne's givin em the old right now

Old 2007-04-10, 09:34 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
"ghosts" segues perfectly into my next pressing question: What happened to all of the the people that used to be between the commas in the whosnatchedthis.php list? Where did they all go?

For example:

sheetserr, sheetserr, , , sheetserr, , , sheetserr, , sheetserr, , , , , , , , , , mamou, , , , , , , , , , , , mccabepatrick, , , , Painter, , sheetserr, , rfox, , , , , , sTELFAIR31, sheetserr, , , , , , , , , , sheetserr, sheetserr, , sheetserr, sheetserr, , , , mcfoster, ken, Joe90, czarklee, modrovsk, , KentAllard2, Olof Björner, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , perez, , , , , , , , vinylguy, , aprotosimaki, , BassFace, qushner, anonuser,

Inquiring minds probably have better questions to ask, but idle minds are inquisitive about such universal existential mysteries.
If the torrent was from after we moved to a passkey tracker (May or June of 2006, I think), then they are probably from deleted accounts. We delete all accounts if someone has not logged in for the last six months. If it is from before the passkey tracker, then it was probably because the tracker didn't know who the user was that completed the torrent.

Old 2007-04-10, 09:35 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
Seen this a couple times on my torrents as well. Was wondering about it myself. Thanks for the (non)explanation.
I wish I could explain it. If I could, then maybe I could fix it.

Old 2007-04-10, 08:06 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think it's because it just logs completes to the db as it sees them come in. Simple as that. I've seen a guy log about 30 completes in one night on a new torrent because his client just kept banging away at the tracker about how it was all done and shit... over and over and over.

it can also happen if someone closes their client and re-opens (so it checks the torrent and registers as a leech, then immediately logs a complete, etc)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble