The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-09, 09:53 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Re: speed limit (not imposed by cable provider)

no luck with anything yet...but it seems my offerings here wern't welcome anyway, so I guess it's a moot point

anyhow, I will try the TCP connection limit, but I can't see how that would magically affect the system out of the blue when it was running just fine beforehand...but I'll try anything once...other than that all else has been tried...and has been unsuccessful...thanx again for all the help though
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-09, 02:46 PM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Sorry PB I could not help out. I look at what you seeded here and it looks like great things to me, problem is if I download video my share ratio only gets worse than it already is (Much Worse!) so all I do anymore is vine it. The TTD vine forum has one of the best systems I've seen to keep vines alive and moving, so if you ever want to vine a few...
Old 2007-04-09, 03:13 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

I was told to take it to dime "where people don't give a damn about lineage" so I guess I have to take my shit and go home

I'm not gonna beg people to let me share things here, and I don't plan to vine in a community that functions this way...I unerstand technical accuracy, but encouraging me to make up a false or vague lineage is such a waste of time when the lineage is unknown...and I don't feel like fighting with people...I feel I've been dealt with in a hostile manner, and choose not to tolerate it...my shares aren't welcome here, because the mods don't like the lack of info, but almost everyone here enjoys my shares...who are the mods lookin out for...their own egos, or the community they are supposed to be representing...I sahre quality material and refuse to fabricate lineage or make up some crap like Pro>?>Me>You because it's friggin waste...it's the same as saying, here's what I got, take it or leave it...which is essentially what I did...I offered screens, gspot and everything, but that's not satisfactory, so I apologize...it was a good one, and I really looked forward to sharing it...guess you guys just gotta look around for me elsewhere now...always loved it here too...never liked the facelss and uncaring nature of the Dime, with hundreds of leechers and like 1 thanx and a couple of complaints...this place was always so inviting, but I was asked to seed my shit elsewhere, and that's what I plan to do...I'm still a member here, they haven't asked me to leave, just to take my seeds elsewhere, so I will still be here and occassionally bullshit with the community...see you around friend...I still appreciate all your help
Old 2007-04-10, 02:45 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

I think I said this in at least 2 of the PMs I sent you, but the point of making a lineage as best you can is to at least have a "version" of the show to use as a reference. Yes, all that other information is nice and is useful to many people, but the lineage (along with md5s) are what allow you to be sure you are getting the EXACT copy of the DVD. If there is a deviation from this "vague-lineaged" version, then that may indicate that the files have been corrupted, it has been reauthored, or is it a version with a more definite lineage, who knows?

And attempting to implement a standardized format for lineages will make it that much easier for downloaders to get the crucial info about the show. Maybe they already have a copy and want to know if this one is an upgrade, or what. Including the prose of "I got this from Glen Quagmire, he's got some sweet JGB shows from when he was on tour in '86" is fine, but a specific lineage is necessary, and very easy to do. We have posted sample lineages to which you should try and mold your info. It's probably from a VHS (proshot/AUD?; audio: SBD/AUD/MTX/?; etc), is it standalone/authored?, etc, etc. All of these questions are easy to answer and before you know it you have a proper lineage and seed. Whadda ya know?
Old 2007-04-11, 05:56 PM
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61

not to get off topic but I don't seed/vine because of this whole lineage thing either. I don't want to make it up and mislead people so I let them collect dust.

back to the topic at hand.

If speedtest shows 110kb but you can only up around 50 I say your network is shaped. Canadian? try using 1720 as your port...google it if you want to know why I'm not going to get into it here.

Also try to ftp something and see what your rate is.

Other then that I'm stumped guy. Would love to help you becuase you certianly release killer videos but I really don't know. The fact that things changed all of a sudden is weird.

If you're on cable I have had instances where my bandwidth dropped for no reason. I called the provider and they had me unplug the modem etc and when I plugged it back in was golden.

Good luck
Old 2007-04-12, 11:48 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

thank you for the well wishes, I will continue to update you as things go on, but I'll still upload, although slower and probably less frequently (because of the speed) so it could be worse...I got some serious shit comin down the pike before too long, so don't go nowhere
Old 2007-04-13, 04:07 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

I can agree with the rules on lineage here but it needs to be recognized that there must be some exceptions. Please show me "lineage" on old Miles Davis audio tapes,.for example...or what is the complete lineage of a silver boot. for that matter? It is only a reference point, it is not lineage that can be traced back to the source recording. So I can see the mods making exceptions for video trading (which is much more in its infancy than trading audio) if you include the md5s and are known for putting out good quality stuff. After all, what is the difference between a "Crystal Cat" version, a "Swingin' Pig" version, or a "Phishblowz" version? If it is rare or uncirculated good stuff, then let the "Phishblowz" version be the reference point, documented with md5s.

There are certainly exceptions being made here for other people when the occasion arises.

Just IMHO...

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia
Old 2007-04-13, 04:25 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
I can agree with the rules on lineage here but it needs to be recognized that there must be some exceptions. Please show me "lineage" on old Miles Davis audio tapes,.for example...or what is the complete lineage of a silver boot. for that matter? It is only a reference point, it is not lineage that can be traced back to the source recording. So I can see the mods making exceptions for video trading (which is much more in its infancy than trading audio) if you include the md5s and are known for putting out good quality stuff. After all, what is the difference between a "Crystal Cat" version, a "Swingin' Pig" version, or a "Phishblowz" version? If it is rare or uncirculated good stuff, then let the "Phishblowz" version be the reference point, documented with md5s.

There are certainly exceptions being made here for other people when the occasion arises.

Just IMHO...
And would one of those exceptions be you taking a show seeded from the master tapes here at TTD and then futzing around with it to create a new version at DaD........

Old 2007-04-13, 04:44 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Gee, there seems to be no honor associated with those numerous 0.00/0.00 people that frequent TTD, especially when it comes to solemn private agreements made only a few hours ago...you know, like Dylan's "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine).

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia
Old 2007-04-13, 05:53 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
Gee, there seems to be no honor associated with those numerous 0.00/0.00 people that frequent TTD, especially when it comes to solemn private agreements made only a few hours ago...you know, like Dylan's "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine).

Jeepers and gee whiz.......Too bad you didn't keep your 'solemn' word last year to begin with......

Of course there's no honor for someone like you when you put your name on someone else's recordings,...especially someone you KNOW who dislikes you and someone that you promised to leave alone last year....

What's the deal, guygee, you still feeling the need to fuck with real tapers' recordings instead of finally making your own?
Old 2007-04-13, 06:16 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

I'm not even going to engage in a debate with you freezer, everyone that matters to me knows the real story by now. I tried to make this painless for you, but you just keep digging yourself a deeper hole.

You are like the character Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov in Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel, "Crime and Punishment". The more you speak, the more you incriminate yourself.

The case is made in the dime torrent here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=142302

I recommend that everyone who gives a damn update their copies.

Bye Now! I got better things to do.

Old 2007-04-13, 06:56 AM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

What exactly are you making up?

If yall can't look at a dvd and pick from the multiple choices listed, which best applies to your show, you have no business seeding here. This ain't rocket science and we arent asking people to make up what kind of tape it was on, or what equipment was used in the transfer.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_videorules
You either know the information or you don't (ie, you did the transfer/authoring work from the VHS or you didnt). If you don't know the information because you received a dvd via trade or downloaded it from another site where the capture/transfer info was not provided, then the lineage would read something like one of these:

- For a SA (StandAlone) DVD (does not have correct chapter marks, usually 5 min chapters):
• Video: Tv > Master VHS > SA > DVD
• Video: Tv > 1st Gen VHS > SA > DVD
• Video: Tv > (Low, Med, High)* Gen VHS > SA > DVD

- An authored DVD (At least has correct chapter points, but may have menu's):
• Video: Tv > Master VHS > SA > ? Author > DVD
• Video: Tv > 1st Gen VHS > SA > ? Author > DVD
• Video: Tv > (Low, Med, High)* Gen VHS > SA ? Author > DVD

*Pick one

Look at what you have. Picture quality wise, what does it look like (master, 1-2 Gen, High Gen VHS)? Is it authored or a SA (Standalone)? If you can't tell the difference in quality from a Master & other Gens of tapes, I'm truly sorry.
Old 2007-04-13, 09:39 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Don't know how we got onto lineage here, but fine....

When a show is old audio, we do allow a lineage of "unknown mics > unknown recorder > CDR(x) > EAC > wav > TLH > flac" or similar. We just like to have it spelled out that it is unknowns prior to the CDR, which in this case is also unknown generation.

And with video, we are trying to get that same sort of spelled out lineage. I think most people can tell if it's TV or Audience, so that is the first part, and then if the next is to some unknown tape, then yes, we think it is best to make some sort of guess as to whether it is low/med/high gen tape. Go ahead and label it as "low gen (guess)", that is fine. But low/med/high will give people a general idea of the quality of the picture. Then, by looking at the menu (or lack of) you can tell if it's next step was to a standalone (no menu, chapter marks spaced evenly throughout) or it was authored (menu, chaptered per song) to a DVD. That's all we really want. Of course, if you know exactly what the lineage is, then that is best, but if you got something in a trade and can't find anything through google about it, then just write out the lineage to the best of your ability.

Old 2007-04-13, 02:04 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

I understand the point of the lineage, especially when it's available...but also just to have a refrence point to judge versions (which I contest that the md5's do that) and I respect the idea of a "format" for labelling these things rather than "phishblowz" version or whatever, but an actual format to go by for labelling your interpretation of what you have so others can use the same judgement standards for their copy if they have different files and decide if there's may be better...I stand by the fact that md5's and screens should cover all that, but again the reasonable conclusion is to have a system of some kind and I have and will continue to abide by that...thanks for all the concern and advice everyone

as for the speed issue, although I am more than happy to share in compliance, I still can't seed at full steam, so if anyone wats to continue trying to help, feel free...thank you all
Old 2007-04-13, 04:05 PM
appalachianamerican
1.26 TB/2.77 TB/2.21

I started a thread about DVD trading standards....
but it didn't get very far....

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=36474

It's getting hard to spot the upgrades with so many versions of a show

circulating as "artist-date-loc".

I think we should treat video more like audio.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble