The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-06, 05:47 PM
Tapehead2
53.36 GB/1.74 TB/33.41

Wildly varying UL speeds?

Hi, I am new to TTD but not to bittorrenting. I've been active at another site for a year or so, seeding many of my audio (and some video) masters. I run Mac OS X (10.4.9) with Azureus 2.5.0.4. While seeding new shows, my UL speeds have always been fairly constant at around 85kB/s.

Currently, I am seeding an Asia DVD, my first upload on TDD. However, my UL speeds are all over the place. Rather than staying constant, they vary from second to second, from 0 all the way up to 80kB/s. They seem to go up and down in waves or cycles. This is puzzling to me as I have not changed my configuration... the only difference is that my torrent is on a different tracker. It's also frustrating to me because I would like my other peers to complete faster. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-06, 05:51 PM
Rez Ipsa Loquitor
264.10 GB/182.93 GB/0.69

Re: Wildly varying UL speeds?

my Download speeds today have gone literally form 561 KB/s to 3 KB/s and back and forth (and in between) i dont know what it is
Old 2007-04-07, 11:09 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

download speed is dependent on how much upload is available, and how much is being taken by ithers...it is normal to fluctuate wildly, and by the same token, your upload is limited by how much others are capable of taking...but to have such a wildly fluctuating upload speed is odd...I have an issue where my upload seems stuck at 50-60k, but I am supposed to get 100-110k...no idea why...all my speed tests show that I am gettign the service I pay for, and I can't figure out why something is stunting my uploadability...I hope you find an answer to you question...I hope someone can help me figure out the answer to mine...I use Azureus by the way...what do you use
Old 2007-04-07, 11:36 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

It's like Phishblowz says, you can do your best to push the bytes out, but if your peers are not also pulling the bytes then nothing much happens.

Actually I have noticed these kinds of big fluctuations when one or more of your peers are firewalled. It is hard to maintain a constant connection with a firewalled peer, so the upload pulses up while you are connected then goes down to zero when you lose a connection. Same is true if you are downloading from a single firewalled seeder, the DL often pulses high, then drops to zero cyclically. I am not a big expert on the bit torrent algorithms, but this is just what I have noticed by watching.
Old 2007-04-07, 11:51 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

First off, it isn't a tracker thing. All the tracker does is let you know about other users on the same torrent and keep track of your stats. It can't in any way do anything about your speeds. It is all up to your client to figure out which user it will be sending information to (your upload), just as it is up to the users client to figure out who it will be sending information to (your download if they choose to send to you). Once the client decides who to send the information to, it is up to the other persons client on what the rate may be. If at one point you were sending info to a person who has a fast download rate and then your client switches to sending information to someone who has a slow download rate, then you will see a big change in your upload rate.

You may want to play with your Options > Transfer and see if changing the max slots or max connections will stabilize your speeds. I left mine at the default and it seems to work fine for me. (My max upload is 52, max download is 300, so my settings are max upload slots: 4, max connections: 50, and Max connections globally: 250)

Old 2007-04-08, 05:20 PM
Jerzeemon
1.31 TB/1.81 TB/1.38

I've noticed similar patterns on upload speeds, only over the past few uploads tho'. I used to seed at a consistent 80 kb, and was able to connect and stay connected to about 10 peers at a time. Over the last few torrents, I have not been able to connect and stay connected to many peers, and my upload rate is dragging from 0-40kb. Real frustrating. I run windows xp pro and azureus 2.5.04. Anyone else figure this kind of thing out yet?
Thanks, Jerz
Old 2007-04-08, 07:20 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

try a different torrent client - its not the site - i seed every week with consistent/solid upload speeds. utorrent client would be a suggestion.

check for client updates - try DHT - enable protocol encryption - allow legacy connections

2cents

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble