The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-17, 10:40 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

sonicstage...how do i transfer from md to pc

Does anyone use sonicstage software.Im trying to transfer music from my md to my pc and im having problems.It gives a list of all the tracks on the disc,when i select them all and try and move it says it cant find the destination folder to save the files.Also on the md display it says pc to md and i want to go from md to pc via usb.Im using sonicstage version 4.0 and ive tried all i can think of.Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-21, 10:18 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: sonicstage...how do i transfer from md to pc

Yeah, that is not going to work - I tried it myself. I think Sony have put a block on it. If the music that is on the MD hasn't been recorded from the PC to the MD disc it will not recognise it - that's what it means by the desitnation folder. Way to do it is by direct transfer to your audio edition program - as you will see in most linage descriptions in the seeds.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:13 PM
368.77 GB/639.95 GB/1.74

That's correct, SonicStage will allow you to transfer from MD only if it's been taped on Hi-MD mode from either line-in or mic-in. If it's been transferred to the MD digitally it wont allow you to transfer it back to the computer.

Unless I'm completely mistaken though, the new RH-1 does allow you to transfer that too, as well as old regular MD's no matter how they're recorded.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:25 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag
That's correct, SonicStage will allow you to transfer from MD only if it's been taped on Hi-MD mode from either line-in or mic-in. If it's been transferred to the MD digitally it wont allow you to transfer it back to the computer.

Unless I'm completely mistaken though, the new RH-1 does allow you to transfer that too, as well as old regular MD's no matter how they're recorded.

It was recorded on a hi-md recorder in hi-sp mode via line in on my md.If i connect my md to my pc via headphone input to pc line in this wont give me a good enough transfer will it??.
Old 2007-03-21, 01:37 PM
368.77 GB/639.95 GB/1.74

If it was recorded on Hi-SP then you should be able to transfer it via USB. Do you have the latest version of SonicStage or are you using the one that came with the player? You should be able to update it free of charge from Sony's page, I know I did
Old 2007-03-21, 02:34 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I think perhaps all ATRAC-based stuff is blocked from being transferred, only LPCM WAV can do that. I seem to recall reading this in the manual a while ago but I can't seem to find it when I looked today.

There is a setting deep in there to switch the output from headphone/line out, you want line out to do this kind of a transfer, then hook up to your soundcard (preferred M-Audio Audiophile2496 for about $120CDN) and record in real time.

Did you try it in LPCM WAV mode yet? that way you just open SonicStage (has to be 3.2 or higher) then connect the Hi-MD and a window appears on the right with the new recording in a folder called "Unnamed". I highlight that folder, press the arrow in the middle pointing from right to left (from md>computer), it says "do you want to do this blah blah" I click yes, then wait a long time. It transfers the whole file from the disc encrypted in OGM format or some extension then it makes a WAV version which you can work with.

Also very very important (during recording only) is to turn off the autogain everytime you insert a new disc, and set the rec levels manually. Check over here:
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=9045

ps congrats on the Hi-MD, which one did you get? I've got MZ-NH1

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-03-21, 10:02 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Audio - Audience Re: sonicstage...how do i transfer from md to pc

I remember when this stuff first came out, and I bought in to it, just to digitally transfer my old stuff recorded on older MD units direct to computer, and it didn't do it. The problem then was there was not an ATRAC > Wav codec yet.
I do wonder now if the ATRAC > Wav codec has been released by Sony, or a third party.
I remember how copyguarded SonicStage software was, it sux. I heard that a third party was developing a different MD >< PC interface software that wasn't so heavy handed on copy protection, and that did easy MD > Wav conversion. I don't care so much now, though, I brought it all back for a refund back then.
I'd consider re-buying it now if I knew it would do a real old school MD > Wav direct conversion, but I'm not convinced it'll ever really happen.
Have you checked MiniDisco.com?
I think that's what it was called. Info site for MD recordists, etc.
Good luck, and let me know what you find out!
Old 2007-03-22, 01:36 AM
368.77 GB/639.95 GB/1.74

The latest version of SonicStage does allow you to transfer HI-SP and even HI-LP recordings to the computer both in their native format or as WAV if you wish.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble