The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-11, 12:16 AM
Dirk Diggler
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

mind the gap!!

I am sure this is really basic stuff, but I can't find a way to completely eliminate gaps in albums such as Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road. I am delighted to find here rare mono mixes (in flac) of the above. I set the gap to 0 sec in Toast, (I have a Power Mac, OS X), but there is always an annoying tiny gap, which ruins the segue between songs. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-11, 06:21 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: mind the gap!!

most likely what yer hearing are Sector Boundary Errors [SBEs]...you can fix them using xACT: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

--click "fix SBE" tab in xACT
--drag the files to the window [make sure they're in sequential order t01, t02, etc...]
--select the output format [flac, shn, wav]
--click "Fix" button
Old 2007-02-11, 11:27 AM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

Tracks will not play continuously unless I take these steps. I have to make sure to set it for DAO (Disc-at-Once). Also, I found this little box that I have to check... "remove silence between audio tracks". AND, I manually have to change the default 2-second "pause" to "zero" - under Track preferences.

I am not familiar with Toast, but this burner I bought last year has Nero (my opinion is to that I will avoid Nero at all cost in the future). I had used Roxio Creator at one time and it was a little limited. Of course none of this matters when you download a show with tiny micro-gaps from someone who did not get it right on their end. I had only one like that here (at TTD), but I was so new at this that I did not say anything. After all, I could have screwed it up myself.

Is it happening on all your discs? Check around to see that there is not some default setting like mine that is breaking up the precious flow of your music.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-15, 03:48 AM
Dirk Diggler
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
most likely what yer hearing are Sector Boundary Errors [SBEs]...you can fix them using xACT: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

--click "fix SBE" tab in xACT
--drag the files to the window [make sure they're in sequential order t01, t02, etc...]
--select the output format [flac, shn, wav]
--click "Fix" button
Thanks AAR - I tried xACT at your suggestion, but it said "no SBEs detected".
Thanks also Cicada, but your hints appear to apply to Windows users, and I am a long time Mac addict!
Old 2007-02-22, 06:01 PM
Dirk Diggler
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The gap problem never occurs when I back up a disc from my collection - I just copy with Toast and it's perfect. The problem is with downloaded (rare) versions of treasures like the mono version of Sgt Pepper and the Japanese "black triangle" version of Abbey Road. Both have songs that segue one into another. When I use Toast and set the gap to 0 seconds there still remains a microsecond gap that destroys the vibe competely. The torrents came with a 4kb file called "Layout with PRE-EMPHASIS FLAGS.CUE" which I am sure is supposed to remedy the problem but I can't work it out. Any more suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 2007-02-22, 08:26 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
The gap problem never occurs when I back up a disc from my collection - I just copy with Toast and it's perfect. The problem is with downloaded (rare) versions of treasures like the mono version of Sgt Pepper and the Japanese "black triangle" version of Abbey Road. Both have songs that segue one into another. When I use Toast and set the gap to 0 seconds there still remains a microsecond gap that destroys the vibe competely. The torrents came with a 4kb file called "Layout with PRE-EMPHASIS FLAGS.CUE" which I am sure is supposed to remedy the problem but I can't work it out. Any more suggestions would be most welcome.
Will Toast let you use a CUE sheet for burning? I think it should. Do you know where to find the option that'll let you burn from an image? (I know it'll be something different from the option you'd pick for an audio CD or a data CD, but I don't know where it is since I've never used Toast.)

Give that a try and see if it works.
Old 2007-02-23, 10:08 PM
Dirk Diggler
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for your help - I've looked at the files in Protools and the unwanted gaps are in the files - no fault at my end . Oh well! Such is life.
Old 2007-03-22, 09:54 PM
Dirk Diggler
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

To conclude this thread I found I needed to convert the flac files to AIFF using xAct, and then burn on Toast without gaps as before. This gave me a perfect result and I am now as happy as can be! Praise be the BitTorrent community and the wonders they make available that remain otherwise unreleased! Cheers.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble