The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-16, 12:27 AM
8.08 GB/10.16 GB/1.26

Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

My router is a 3com 3c855. I was finally able to do a port forwarding earlier tonight but I don't see any changes. The light is still yellow and the upload rate hasn't change either. I can't tell if I did this properly or not.

Couldn't find out how to configure my so-called firewall either. This is basically what I have. I have no idea what info I need to put.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-16, 09:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm not a PC person, so that panel doesn't look familar to me at all. However, I think what you want is:

Description: BitTorrent (or whatever you want to call it)
IP: do an ipconfig in your console and grab the IP that looks like 192.168.1.xxx
External and Internal Port is probably the same: 6881 (if you are using the default bt port)
TCP is fine

(don't they usually ask for a port *range*, not just a single port? strange)

Old 2005-06-16, 10:22 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I "think" that's the Windows XP firewall configuration. I concur with U2Lynne's settings.

I read this and meant to reasearch an answer (I'm not familiar with XP firewall)and get back to you earlier but got sidetracked.

One thing that I don't understand is the internal/external port boxes. I've never seen ports refered to as "internal and external", but yeah, make them both the same and see what happens. Also, make sure you have the firewall enabled. I saw the instructions on portforward.com for that and make sure the port you specify is the port that is set in your BiTorrent client (most likely 6881, as U@Lynne said).
Old 2005-06-17, 12:13 AM
8.08 GB/10.16 GB/1.26

Well, I filled it out like you said and everything's doing fine now.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 2005-06-17, 06:09 PM
122.31 GB/199.15 GB/1.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonman
Yeah, thats brutal undeath. I just looked at the torrent and there's 4 seeders and 17 leechers. If you're on dsl, you should definitely be getting better speeds than that.

I don't have abc, so hopefully someone with that client can help you. I use Bit Tornado and I had the same problem when I first started with BT. I opened the ports on my modem, but I was still firewalled. I didn't realize I had to open the ports on my BT client as well. As soon as I did that, I've been getting great speeds. I'm not sure if ABC works the same way, but you may want to check it out.
Hello you say you are getting great speeds since opening the ports in the bit tornado client. Where would I have to go in the client to open the ports? I am still attempting to open the ports on my llinksis modem, and not having much luck. I am on a 3 meg cable connection, have the fire wall disabled. I average any where from 3 and 4 kl per second up too maybe 50 k per second if I'm lucky, and it doesn't take long for the speeed to slow down. Very frustrating, just wondering.
Old 2005-06-17, 08:33 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovana
I average any where from 3 and 4 kl per second up too maybe 50 k per second if I'm lucky, and it doesn't take long for the speeed to slow down.
Is that 50k (what) per sec? - Bytes or bits? Bytes is a capital "B" and bits is a lower case "b". If you're getting 50kB/sec, then that's about right (for upload). Your 3Mb connection refers to your download speed, not upload. You won't see anywhere near your 3Mb/sec download on very many torrents. I've gotten close to that, but it doesn't happen too often. Those speeds happen when there are A LOT of people on the same torrent and a lot of them have good individual speeds. Also, when "torrenting", your download as well as your upload speeds will vary depending on a few factors. I just re-read the thread where you were helped earlier and from your posts, it seemed like everything was ok as far as speeds. If you still need to forward the ports in your router, go to portforward.com and look up your router's model and you can get the info needed. You can also go to Linksys' web site for info about port forwarding. If you still need help, post back with the specific problem you're having. We want to help you get the most of your torrent experience

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble