The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-13, 05:47 PM
106.56 GB/165.32 GB/1.55

Understanding Peers List Stats

I was looking at the Peers list stats for "Buckethead at the Italian American Club in Las Vegas" and I am listed as a peer but the stats say I have u/l 40.08 meg when my Utorrent says 19.5gig and my time on has been since 3-19-07 and the stats say 3:10:07. I guess my question is are these stats updated on a regular basis? does it effect my ratio? I am not firewalled and should I not even worry about it?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-13, 07:35 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Understanding Peers List Stats

The Peers List has the stats since you last started that torrent. So, you have been on that torrent for a bit over 3 hours, 10 minutes and during that time, you have u/l 40 mb (or so, the stats only get updated when you 'announce' which is only every 35 minutes or so). So, you must have done something to restart your client or torrent about 3 hours ago.

Old 2007-04-14, 02:27 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Just to clarify, I think that the tracker must reset your stats (on a particular torrent) at other times besides when your client restarts. I'll have a torrent seeding for weeks and I can see that the stats on a particular torrent will reset, even though I have not restarted my client or computer that entire time. I suspect (just guessing here), that if you don't connect to another peer for some period of time, your stats start over.
Old 2007-04-14, 07:27 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Why can't we be more like PureLivinGigs? Please, no talk about the wall of fire surrounding the lowest rung of port-blocked hell: that is just totally untrue, a mean vicious rumor that we will not even dignify with a response here.

What I do mean is that PLG's tracker never forgets, so you can see what people have uploaded and downloaded even if they have logged off several times. That means that hit-n-runners are busted every time, and the people that hung in there for a 20 share on a particular torrent are given the proper credit, yea, even until the day that the torrent passes from this veil of tears unto Inactive Audio Torrents where it will live forever and ever, Uh, Amen.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia

Last edited by guygee; 2007-04-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 2007-04-14, 07:45 AM
106.56 GB/165.32 GB/1.55

Thanks for the reply.. I did do a reboot for the wonderful Microsoft Security Issue update that we all look forward to so much..After checking now the stats are at a little over 17 hours.
Old 2007-04-14, 10:51 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Two things.....

This tracker was resetting our stats all the time after our move. That was happening because I had had the peers table defined as a Memory/Heap table because that is more efficient for that table. So, everytime mysql restarted itself, the peer table was truncated and time would start again. I have since changed the peers table to a MyISAM table so that the stats don't get restarted and we've also fixed the problem where mysql wanted to restart every day. Mysql has now been up for 18 days. So, you still will not see any peers on the list that say they've been up for more than 18 days.

Regarding PLG.... we actually are going to be switching trackers. Our current tracker is a php/mysql tracker and causes our loads to be higher than if we had an XBT tracker, which is a tracker application. When we first started the site, we actually had a tracker application, however the trackers back then were incapable of keeping track of stats. They have since come a long way. Once I am familiar with that tracker, I will be able to do all sorts of things, but currently I'm not familiar with it at all and I'm still futzing with code to integrate it the way I like with our site. Bootcity is running the tracker I want to move to, but I have some changes I want to make to it before installing it.

Old 2007-04-14, 11:16 AM
Non Serviam
3.26 TB/25.14 TB/7.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Two things.....
[1]...
[2]... Once I am familiar with that tracker, I will be able to do all sorts of things, but currently I'm not familiar with it at all and I'm still futzing with code to integrate it the way I like with our site. Bootcity is running the tracker I want to move to, but I have some changes I want to make to it before installing it.
That sounds great Lynne, keep on futzing, I am really looking forward to seeing all of the new futzy features. Just be careful not to futz it up.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia
Old 2007-04-14, 11:19 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
That sounds great Lynne, keep on futzing, I am really looking forward to seeing all of the new features. Just be careful not to futz it up.
Oh, I always futz up somehow, but that is what test sites and test users are for.

(Well, we get it close, anyway, but there is always something wrong once you go live!)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble