The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-09, 01:22 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

CAN I UPLOAD MINIDISC HI-SP REC WITHOUT S/STAGE

I have some recordings i made on my minidisc,and ive been having problems trying to transfer them using sonicstage 4.0.I was wondering what else i could use to upload the recordings to make them ok to upload on here or dime??I have audacity but dont know if i save my hi-sp recordings using audacity whether the quality will be affected too much.I wanted to use sonicstage as it was supposed to be a lot quicker for transferring and the quality would be good.Ive almost had enough but really want to share my recordings,as i have some shows coming up that might be of interest.Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-09, 02:28 PM
NIN FAN
87.52 GB/112.78 GB/1.29

Re: CAN I UPLOAD MINIDISC HI-SP REC WITHOUT S/STAGE

Heres a, link to the newest version shouldn't have any problems with this its a free download.

http://musicstore.connect.com/custom...checkBos=false
Old 2007-04-10, 04:13 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

I have managed to transfer the music from my md to my pc,but all files are saved as atrac files.Will i have to do the transfer again or can they be converted to wav( like it said it was doing) without losing any quality.
Old 2007-04-10, 08:08 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

This might do it - depending on the ATRAC - remember, Sony is very protective of its formats and heavy on copyright issues. They seem to make it a difficult as possible for you to do this.
Old 2007-04-11, 12:40 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine
if you don't trust the atrac format and can spare the additional disk space for decompressed lossy files, use the same method as for backing up PCM files.
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16088

the instructions are in the thread above. I highly recommend you start recording in 16bit/44.1kHz LPCM WAV instead of mucking around with shitty atrac.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-04-11, 01:51 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Just when i thought GREAT!! i have beat this and can now share my recordings on torrent sites as they are going to be lossless,i get this reply.

sometimes i feel so out of league with a lot of people.

i dont understand the khz etc,all i know is i want to transfer my live recordings and share them.I thought the way i was doing it would be acceptable for torrent sites.I didnt know my files were going to save as atrac,this is just what it saved as in sonicstage.I was told lp2 was terrible to use for recording,( ok i accept that) so i started using hi-sp,( as i was led to believe this would give good quality recordings and would transfer digitally) and now that doesnt seem good enough.So i should record in 16bit/44.1kHz LPCM WAV??.Is this the best i can record in on a hi-md recorder??.Does this limit the time i can record on an 80 minute minidisc???.
Old 2007-04-11, 01:58 PM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Just checked my manual and in( hi-md ) lpcm mode i can fit 28 mins on an 80 mindisc.So i could be using 3 discs for one show???.
Old 2007-04-11, 05:35 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

you can still share your hi-sp recordings, but since you've got a deck that can record WAV you should take advantage of that. You will enjoy the recordings more as will everybody who downloads and listens to them.

the 80min discs are designed for the older md decks, you can get special 1GB discs that are for Hi-MD decks which hold triple the data, which is about 95 minutes lpcm wav on each disc. The cost of the hi-md discs is about $10, as opposed to the old style 80min discs which cost $4 and hold 28 minutes (these are Toronto retail prices). So when you buy the 1GB discs you get more for your money and have to switch discs less often.

hey I just found an even better deal... $5.54USD for 1GB discs
http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=435

don't forget to turn off autogain as I posted in the last thread you started.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, just want to make your recordings better & easier for you, which hopefully makes you feel happy

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-04-12, 02:15 AM
62.44 GB/104.12 GB/1.67

Yo Pepper, you can get HiMDs in the UK for I think 4 quid a pop online. I´ve ordered from this shop with no problem - http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/ - but you might want to look around and see if someone is selling them cheaper these days.

Also, with a HiMD in HiSP mode, you can record for 7.5 hours. I´ve recorded a few shows in HiSP, and I can´t determine a big difference between that and PCM. Very useful for long / high stealth shows, although use PCM if you can.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble