The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-09, 10:27 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Question Non-DVD Video

maybe i missed this in the faq somewhere, its early...

I have some moe. shows as svcd and vcd, that i don't think exist in any better digital format. would it be appropriate/possible to post them as is? I have complete linage, etc (i helped make them, the ?? would be replaced with vhs(x), but i dont think they were higher than 2 generations). i posted them on stg way back in the day, but it has been 2-3 years, maybe more, and they could use a reseed.

I dont think it would be of any benefit to re-encode them to dvd from their current format, even the best software doesn't create pixels very well and i dont really have the time anymore to try to replicate the effort.

thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: txt moe2001-07-25.SVCD.txt
( 906 Bytes, 7 views)

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.

Last edited by trustthex; 2007-04-09 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-09, 12:52 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Re: Non-DVD Video

Sorry to tell you, but it's not allowed here.

To save one of the mods the cut/paste work:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_videorules

"9. Only DVDs produced from MPEG-2 may be seeded here.
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here which were sourced from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD). Converting a lesser quality video to DVD does not make the quality of the video any better, and is therefore pointless. It is equivilent to creating a flac fileset from mp3s simply because the flac format came around and is better than all others. None of the above mentioned video codecs are up to par with The Trader's Den Video BT Seeding Guidelines, and therefore, will not be allowed on the tracker."
Old 2007-04-09, 07:08 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
Sorry to tell you, but it's not allowed here.

To save one of the mods the cut/paste work:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_videorules

"9. Only DVDs produced from MPEG-2 may be seeded here.
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here which were sourced from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD). Converting a lesser quality video to DVD does not make the quality of the video any better, and is therefore pointless. It is equivilent to creating a flac fileset from mp3s simply because the flac format came around and is better than all others. None of the above mentioned video codecs are up to par with The Trader's Den Video BT Seeding Guidelines, and therefore, will not be allowed on the tracker."
They should probably alter that first line of rule 9 to "Only DVDs produced from DVD-quality MPEG-2 may be seeded here," since I'm pretty certain SVCD is MPEG-2, it's just a considerably lower resolution.
Old 2007-04-09, 08:02 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
They should probably alter that first line of rule 9 to "Only DVDs produced from DVD-quality MPEG-2 may be seeded here," since I'm pretty certain SVCD is MPEG-2, it's just a considerably lower resolution.
Well, yes...but then you'd almost have to put what the definition of DVD quality is in there since people would be sure to ask. Guess you could put something like:
"Only DVDs produced from DVD-quality (defined as 720x480 or 720x576) MPEG-2 may be seeded here,"

Plus, don't forget the folks who squeeze 6 or 8 hours worth of a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on to one disc....end up with a bitrate of something like 1000kbps (ok, I'm goofing around on that figure). Sure, the resolution is right, but now you've got the same problem unless you specify what the minimum bit rate is. At least people are considerate enough to ask like this poster, but you're always going to have questions.
Old 2007-04-10, 10:13 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

In a former internet life, i did lots of video encoding, and pretty much know standards and what you will get out of them; which is why i asked. I *could* have re-encoded it to dvd, but like i (and others) said, it would look like crap.

I guess what I was asking about was an exception, since these were encoded before dvd-burners were a realistic possibility. It was just a thought, because there isn't likely to be a duplication of the original effort. I guess I may set up a vine and see who is interested. This board doesnt seem to be as jam oriented as STG used to be, but its still gnarly.

Quote:
Old 2007-04-10, 11:52 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Try emailing the people in the txt file and see if they have put it on DVD. I know a lot of people I trade with that use to make SVCDs have converted most of their stuff over to DVDs.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:13 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

lol, I am one of the people who made it, the other guy, blake, is a well known moe.ron... i helped with alot of the video stuff, syncing, etc. ill ask him next time i see him if i can get the tapes for a potential dvd transfer... but then there is audio syncing, etc that will have to be done, which is why i said it is unlikely there will be a duplication of effort (or if there is, it will take 10x longer as i am no longer in college). anyway, it was just a thought.

Quote:
Old 2007-04-10, 12:20 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

aww syncing is no problem... If you need any pointers, let me know.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:23 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

LOL, i'm just lazy, thats all. well that, and I would probably need to build another encoding box. if i decide to do this, you guys have any recommendations on capture cards? I have an old hauppage and an ati tv wonder (both internal pci), but i dont think those cards are quite up to snuff anymore.

Quote:
Old 2007-04-10, 12:32 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Here's a good thread..... There are others here too.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...&highlight=dvd

If I was doing the transfer I would go Hi8>DVcam>Pc via firewire. using the DV cam as a pass-thru. assuming you are not playing back on a digi8 which already has firewire. But that's just because I have those cameras.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:39 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

unfortunately (if i remember correctly) they are full vhs tapes, so I am going to need a pretty nice vcr too (already disposed of mine). nothing is convienent anymore.

Quote:
Old 2007-04-10, 02:25 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

there's a number of folks around here with access to pro-VHS decks that do transfers all the time...i'm sure, once you actually have the tapes, you could find someone who'd be willing...at that point, i'd post something in the taper's forum

i might even be able to help ya out if its later in the year...but i've already got a few lined up ahead of you

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble