The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-15, 09:52 PM
Neckbrain Inc.
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

MD Audio Transfer.... I'm a Newbie to this..

Well,

I'm pretty Sure this is probably been asked, But I can't seem to find a thread about this..

I recorded A show on my Sharp MD, My question is what I can Use (What Cables or Software) to transfer The audio I have on my MD to an Audio file without lossing Quality. I've used some programs and seem to be losing Quality, Especially in the guitar. If you guys could help me out, I would love it!! My Md is the Sharp MD-Mt161 model. Thanks again IN Advance for any repsonse.

"NERIEGA"
Neckbrain Inc.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-15, 10:05 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: MD Audio Transfer.... I'm a Newbie to this..

does it have a mini-jack output or an optical out?
i can't seem to find a link to that model to look at the specs...do you have one by chance?
Old 2005-08-15, 10:17 PM
Neckbrain Inc.
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
does it have a mini-jack output or an optical out?
i can't seem to find a link to that model to look at the specs...do you have one by chance?
THis is what it has on the side for my options.
In the MiniJack output, It seems like I could plug in more than jus the jack.

"NERIEGA"
Neckbrain Inc.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-15, 10:54 PM
Who's the Masta???? Shonuff!!
968.56 GB/954.35 GB/0.99

I use Sonicstage by sony for all my minidisc needs. Don't know if it works with other brands but their newestly updated program is fantastic. Or if you have a good sound recording program you could go to a radio shack, buy a mini to mini chord, plug it into your headphone jack on the md and your in on your sound card. and press play and record. Voila.
Old 2005-08-15, 11:07 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The software rarely makes a difference in the quality of the sound.

The important thing is the way you connect your minidisc output to your computer. Is it a digital or analog connection? Digital is better. If it's analog (via the line in on your soundcard) your soundcard will affect the sound a lot.

You'll get the best help at www.taperssection.com and maybe even find someone to do it for you if you dont' have digi capabilities.
Old 2005-08-15, 11:49 PM
Neckbrain Inc.
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauglife
I use Sonicstage by sony for all my minidisc needs. Don't know if it works with other brands but their newestly updated program is fantastic. Or if you have a good sound recording program you could go to a radio shack, buy a mini to mini chord, plug it into your headphone jack on the md and your in on your sound card. and press play and record. Voila.
So the miniChord gets beter quality than just a regular jack! Cool. Thats what I figured.

Quote:
The software rarely makes a difference in the quality of the sound.

The important thing is the way you connect your minidisc output to your computer. Is it a digital or analog connection? Digital is better. If it's analog (via the line in on your soundcard) your soundcard will affect the sound a lot.
That what I also thought of. Before I've recorded on video, And if I didn't like the video, I would just get the audio thru my SoundBlaster Sound card from my Old Computer and it came out just fine, BUt I've been recording thru my Laptop mic recorder and its just been awful. How can I get a digital recording into my Computer from my MD??

"NERIEGA"
Neckbrain Inc.
Old 2005-08-16, 12:13 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

you could get an A/D converter, preferrably a bit-perfect one....or a good PCI interface such as this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html
Old 2005-08-16, 12:56 AM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
you could get an A/D converter, preferrably a bit-perfect one....or a good PCI interface such as this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html
You will still have an unnecessary analog stage, even with that. If you think the soundblaster did a good job, we might have a long way to go with this. If quality is important, go to Taper's Section forums and get help there from someone who deals with this all the time.
Old 2005-08-16, 11:05 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

the trouble with this deck is that it doesn't have proper outputs. the digital is in-only (like my MD ) and the only output you have is the headphone jack. ideally (aside from a straight digital dump) a lineout jack should be used, since the voltage coming from a headphone jack is intended for small speakers, not to be jacked directly into a soundcard. You can probably get away with it, but be aware that it is possible to damage your soundcard this way and also that the sound will be slightly degraded, not only because you're not doing a digital transfer but also because you're using a headphone out. I heard that most of the MD players with digital outs are big standalone units, so you often need one deck to record, one to transfer. If there's many others interested in the bands you taped, sometimes a person with a standalone with do a perfect transfer for you. There was a guy who posted somewhere here or the tapers' forum saying he was willing to make bit-accurate transfers of MDs for ppl who didn't have that capability.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-08-16, 01:05 PM
Neckbrain Inc.
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
the trouble with this deck is that it doesn't have proper outputs. the digital is in-only (like my MD ) and the only output you have is the headphone jack. ideally (aside from a straight digital dump) a lineout jack should be used, since the voltage coming from a headphone jack is intended for small speakers, not to be jacked directly into a soundcard. You can probably get away with it, but be aware that it is possible to damage your soundcard this way and also that the sound will be slightly degraded, not only because you're not doing a digital transfer but also because you're using a headphone out. I heard that most of the MD players with digital outs are big standalone units, so you often need one deck to record, one to transfer. If there's many others interested in the bands you taped, sometimes a person with a standalone with do a perfect transfer for you. There was a guy who posted somewhere here or the tapers' forum saying he was willing to make bit-accurate transfers of MDs for ppl who didn't have that capability.
Thanks guys for all this info you're giving me.... The Soundblaster Card didn't give me the perfection I wanted, it just did the job... The reason why I recorded on a MD is cause it was my last option. I'm thinking of upgrading to a JB3 So i won't have to deal with this anymore.

"NERIEGA"
Neckbrain Inc.
Old 2005-08-16, 01:30 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbrain Inc.
Thanks guys for all this info you're giving me.... The Soundblaster Card didn't give me the perfection I wanted, it just did the job... The reason why I recorded on a MD is cause it was my last option. I'm thinking of upgrading to a JB3 So i won't have to deal with this anymore.

"NERIEGA"
Neckbrain Inc.
check this out first before buying a JB3
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=10407

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble