The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-01-18, 03:28 PM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

having trouble burning DL

ok. I need some help... if you can answer the following questions .... you will have saved me from ripping all of my hair out!

I can't seem to get my video-ts files to a DVD+RDL? i never had trouble with the dvd5s, but the 9s are giving me trouble. i have checked te program, I have reconfigured the hardware and changed the jumpers and IDE wires. set the primary drive to master and the secondary to slave. (thrice configured) reinstalled the software (twice)... but every time i think i have it... one of two things happen....

* it tells me the dvdrdl is full. (and it's not- it's right off the spindle)
* it doesn't recognize the disc at all and crashes every program i have running.

I have tried different media, (now working with memorex) I even got it to work once and managed to get one whole disc burnt (and the disc works great).... which concerns me... why would it work all of a sudden?- i haven't changed anything, no updates or anything...... But all of a sudden it's back to this crap again, and I've coastered 4 discs and I've lost my patience. as you know the DLs are NOT cheap and I don't want to shrink it if I can avoid it. I have been to every web site i can think of to try and figure this out, and I just can't seem to find anything about it. I burn stuff all the time... i really am at a loss... i'm beginning to think a sledge hammer would help?

I'm running nero 7 essen. and have just recently tried imgburn, on Windows XP, I have 2 DVD drives, both of which are capable of burning dvdrdl. ...and still all the same problems. PLEASE.... PLEASE HELP! it works... it doesn't work. it works.... it doesn't work... it makes me crazy.

please and thank you kyndly for your help in advance....

namaste.
We’re all connected; to each other, biologically; to the Earth, chemically; and to the rest of the universe, atomically. That’s kind of cool. That makes me smile. And I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe; we’re a part of the universe. We’re in the universe and the universe is in us.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-01-18, 04:41 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: having trouble burning DL

Doing a quick search and I don't think you're the only one with this problem. Have you tried Verbatim discs yet?
Old 2009-01-18, 05:40 PM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

I started with Nexttech- which suck, and now i'm on memorex... i've now coasterd 6 and can't return them. I was hoping to solve the problem without having to spend more money. Is it possible that my drive won't even recognize the disc if it is something other than a Verbatim DL. (I've used memorex for almost everything else, and NEVER had a problem- not once.)

Thnax
Namaste.
We’re all connected; to each other, biologically; to the Earth, chemically; and to the rest of the universe, atomically. That’s kind of cool. That makes me smile. And I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe; we’re a part of the universe. We’re in the universe and the universe is in us.
Old 2009-01-19, 01:52 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Memorex are a poor brand of DVD. How long have you been using them for?

I use Taiyo Yuden for single layer and Verbatim for dual layer discs.
Old 2009-01-20, 01:47 PM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

i'm going out today to get some Verbatim... hopefully that will solve the problem... but, if not, I will happily accept any and all suggestions!

Thanx Kyndly.
Namaste.
Old 2009-01-22, 09:59 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

old topic...same answers......
"buy a brand new computer"..is the only answer....
at least the last zero DVD was done in DVD5...lets share to everyone.....

Old 2009-01-22, 12:18 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkin View Post
at least the last zero DVD was done in DVD5...lets share to everyone.....
new computer - agree.
you are trying to burn .ts files - read here --> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/613294

as for DVD5.. this will come back to bite us all shortly. You have the video (great) but its chopped.
For those of us watching via hard drive/memory stick > *your mutimedia interface device* > HDTV
the broken VIDEO_TS folders are unnecessary. in fact, one large file is the best for seamless playback/enjoyment.
I'm seeing .iso playback compatibility in more and more devices daily.
Old 2009-01-22, 06:58 PM
appalachianamerican
1.26 TB/2.77 TB/2.21

Just watched a 9Gig .wmv BR *backup*

HD>xbox360(firmware upgrade0>37" 1080p LCD

quick n easy......killer picture
Old 2009-01-23, 04:53 PM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

Quote:
... well that is of course NOT the answer i was hoping for.

someone suggested that since my drive is an HP (is same as LiteOn) that i should Flash the drive...
So then I beg of you....
* should I try...? ('cause if i do it wrong- it could kill the drive altogether)
* if I fail, any recommendations on a new relatively inexpensive (under $100) DVD R DL that won't suck.
* or would i do better to just find a new drive? I really don't have the loot for a new puter right now...

Thanx to all who have been trying to help. I've never had this much trouble before- and I am honestly at my wits end...

thanx again.
Old 2009-01-23, 10:53 PM
910.42 GB/824.66 GB/0.91

I am glad i found this thread, I Use sony DVD-dl discs and 6 out of every ten i have to throw away, b/c it stops when the second layer starts burning. Does anyone understand why my burn speed for DL dvd's is 2.4X, but my burn speed for DVD 5 is 11.8X?

Cheers.
Drew

I am always Up For a trade!

Drew
Old 2009-01-24, 01:36 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun234 View Post
I am glad i found this thread, I Use sony DVD-dl discs and 6 out of every ten i have to throw away, b/c it stops when the second layer starts burning. Does anyone understand why my burn speed for DL dvd's is 2.4X, but my burn speed for DVD 5 is 11.8X?

Cheers.
Drew
just buy a new computer........

Old 2009-01-26, 08:55 AM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun234 View Post

Cheers.
Drew
dvd dl (dvd9) should always be burn at a lower speed- it just ensures good quality. 2.4 is about the max you should burn at- even if you are using the Vearbitm discs. Have you tried imageburn? Nero isn't very good for DL disc. ImgBurn is free to download and use, no trial... no restrictions. go herehttp://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/problem-dvd9-nero-262859/ to learn more... you'll see what I mean. I did.
Old 2009-01-26, 08:58 AM
making love, not war.
562.07 GB/439.90 GB/0.78

Quote:
just buy a new computer........
heheh thanx

you wouldn't happen to have $800.00 I could borrow, do you? hehehe
Old 2009-01-26, 09:33 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtindica View Post
heheh thanx

you wouldn't happen to have $800.00 I could borrow, do you? hehehe
I believe what shopkin is stating is: just because you have a dual-layer burner doesn't mean you're able to burn dual layer disks.

your computer (especially if older!!) must be capable of streaming 8GB+ of data without a hiccup.
otherwise you get a coaster.

tuneup the system > reboot > turn off all unnecessary apps (and screensaver/power management settings/antivirus software) > burn
if you still get coasters..you need a new computer/give up.
Old 2009-01-27, 05:05 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
I believe what shopkin is stating is: just because you have a dual-layer burner doesn't mean you're able to burn dual layer disks.

your computer (especially if older!!) must be capable of streaming 8GB+ of data without a hiccup.
otherwise you get a coaster.

tuneup the system > reboot > turn off all unnecessary apps (and screensaver/power management settings/antivirus software) > burn
if you still get coasters..you need a new computer/give up.
That is what I'm saying....just because I was drunk when I wrote that doesn't mean I was kidding......I'm in the same boat. Sometimes it works sometimes it dont. Looks like I'll get anothershot at it tonight with schome's zero DVD. I'll make sure I reboot the old G4 emac and make sure no other apps are running while burning........

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble