The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-12-10, 01:04 AM
St Annie
1.72 GB/4.13 MB/0.00

Question This is a Mac question too..... and a vote of thanks

I am soooo new to this I can't even reply properly, except to say I am so excited to have successfully downloaded my very first bittorrent and of the wonderful Mr Beck with his great band (I am partial as that gorgeous gal Tal is an Ozzie as I am).

So now I can watch the DVD on my computer - I have an Apple i Mac - for which I am very lucky as it looks great but I also want to have a hard copy for elsewhere. I had instructions from a friend on another trading site about how to make copies when you had an original DVD R disc just using the inherent abilities of the Mac but this to me seems different and I don't know how to adapt the instructions (maybe I haven't thought about it hard enough yet, I'm just so excited). However I also now have Mac The Ripper and have trialled DVD2XOne, but not yet bought it.

Can someone tell me what is the best way I should go now to get hard copies as I hope to be an eager participant, sharer and maybe trader......

I saw a previous thread re burning software for a iMac but I'm afraid I just could not understand any of it.... Maybe if I go back and re-read, but still if anyone can assist I'd be very grateful.

Thank you again for a wonderful site and for all those for share and teach their technical skills to others without which we could not share this great music.. Annie
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-12-10, 03:03 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: This is a Mac question too..... and a vote of thanks

Do you have the Toast software?
Old 2008-12-10, 04:40 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Check your PM box. ...and both don't forget to seed what you downloaded to keep your share ratio well balanced aka karma
Old 2008-12-10, 09:19 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I actually wrote a page on how to burn them - http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html If you don't have Toast, go down to the area that reads "If you have a VIDEO_TS folder and want to burn it with freeware"

Old 2008-12-11, 04:57 AM
St Annie
1.72 GB/4.13 MB/0.00

Thanks to all for responses. I don't have Toast but will look into and U@ have just printed off your guide which I'll also read. have just downloaded DVD Imager. And I'll spend a bit more time reading and researching...

Thanks again to all.....
Old 2008-12-11, 01:52 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

I just taught myself the dvd imaginer...using tiger and disk utility it is pretty easy. I can help a bit too, as the documentation is of course a bit lacking...
once dvd imaginer generates a .img file, open Disk Utility (from yer hard drive apps folder) and IN THE PULL DOWN MENUS of disk utilty select burn ..follow prompts to select that .img when prompt again insert blank dvd....tada, even plays in the rotten dvd players.
PM if you want more help...and get with the ratio program..grrrr.
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2008-12-13, 03:49 AM
St Annie
1.72 GB/4.13 MB/0.00

Question Re: This is a Mac question too..... and a vote of thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Check your PM box. ...and both don't forget to seed what you downloaded to keep your share ratio well balanced aka karma
Dear Pawel and all others who have offered advice so far, ree seeding I have read the FAQ on DVD Video Bit Torrent Seeding Policy and the sub-topic of How to Create a Video Seed and I'm sorry, I simply don't know where to start..... All I know is that I have a show that I have been able to download from this site and whilst it was downloading, I think there were some other people uploading from what I had (would that be right), but I have no idea how to keep my karma in good stead as Pawel says....

I am more than willing to learn but I will need some help. Obviously I am not offering something new but rather offering something I already have, but I just don't know how to do even that....

I'm really sorry, but I guess everyone had to start somewhere. The documents were very clear but I still don't understand what I need to do.

Can you help, so I can remain a good member of this community which has already made me feel very welcome.

Thanks Annie
Old 2008-12-13, 04:29 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Don't close your program and don't stop the torrent when your download is finished. Keep both open - you will turn into seeding mode. There should be two columns in your torrent program:
Peers - total number of people who yet download and to whom you are connected (or not)
Ratio - balance between your downloaded and uploaded bites. Ideally it should be 1 or over. Now you have almost 0.0

Sometimes you may not upload at all even "Peers" number is not 0. It's because there can be many "Seeds" (like you), and "Peers" find shorter route to them, and they may also offer better upload speed. However, if the ratio is bad then keep the torrent open until it improves, of course if the torrent is not completely 'dead' - 0 "Peers" for a long time.
Old 2008-12-13, 04:52 AM
St Annie
1.72 GB/4.13 MB/0.00

Thumbs up Re: This is a Mac question too..... and a vote of thanks

Annie again, but with good news. With U2 and daddyray's advice and the help of Disk Imager I have successfully burnt my first download to a DVD and it plays beautifully - but I did have one heart attack moment - there I was enjoying Jeff Beck and it went blank - I thought it had failed - only to realise that the cat had jumped on to the bed and hit the off button of the television remote control!!! Boy was I relieved when I worked out what had happened!!!

Did I tell you I'm going to see Jeff Beck LIVE here in Brisbane Australia at end of January - first time since 1977 (and I didn't see him then even though I would have had Blow by Blow probably because I was a poor high school student) and I think it's because Tal has convinced him to come and see her homeland - another reason to be a big fan of her's.

Thanks again for all your help and hopefully you'll help me to become a seeder.

Have a great weekend.
Old 2008-12-13, 10:04 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Good to hear, Annie.

Regarding getting the ratio up.... just don't hit the Stop button on your torrent. I realize sometimes you have to turn off the computer, but when possible, turn on your bittorrent application and Start the torrent and see if anyone is wanting the show. Sometimes it happens that there are no leechers, but sometimes someone comes in late looking for a seed and you could be that seed for them.

Old 2009-03-31, 09:06 PM
St Annie
1.72 GB/4.13 MB/0.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Don't close your program and don't stop the torrent when your download is finished. Keep both open - you will turn into seeding mode. There should be two columns in your torrent program:
Peers - total number of people who yet download and to whom you are connected (or not)
Ratio - balance between your downloaded and uploaded bites. Ideally it should be 1 or over. Now you have almost 0.0

Sometimes you may not upload at all even "Peers" number is not 0. It's because there can be many "Seeds" (like you), and "Peers" find shorter route to them, and they may also offer better upload speed. However, if the ratio is bad then keep the torrent open until it improves, of course if the torrent is not completely 'dead' - 0 "Peers" for a long time.
Hi, I'm back here after being away for a long time. Just started torrenting again. I successfully downloaded the Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's show when it was available (not sure if it still is as is now a commercial DVD release - by the way can someone tell me how to search the site for things you are looking for - I couldn't work that out.....)

Anyway, as I said I completed the Jeff Beck download but it is showing in my Bit Torrent list as not started and so it wants to re-do it, whereas I already have it and want to make it available so I am a seeder.

It is in my DOWNLOADS folder on my Mac and when I double click on it , I get the message "Torrent already added: This torrent (or one with the same contents has already been added).

Can anyone advise me how to fix this - or should I not put it up for copyright reasons? Also would like advice re searching the database.

Thanks again. Good to be back. Annie.
Old 2009-04-01, 06:40 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

if a show is officially released, do not share it

as for re-opening a torrent thats already on the tracker:
1. run you .torrent file for the show
2. when yer torrent prog asks where to d/l to, point it to the *shows folder*
it'll recheck to make sure all of the files are there and then will begin seeding
Old 2009-04-01, 06:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

oh and the search function is located at the top of every page...click Search > Advanced Search more the most options

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble