The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-15, 10:40 AM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Comcast threatening to cut my service?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rherron
I have Road Runner and have never heard a peep about my usage but I have seen a lot of reports about ComCast limiting people’s usage. I’ve downloaded 800-900 gigs. I would go with them if you have it in your area. I have been, more or less, constantly downloading and uploading shows for 3 years and they haven’t said a thing. It costs about $40 -50/month (I’m not sure exactly as we have Time Warner cable as well and it’s all rolled into one bill – guess I should look more closely!).

Rob
A guy I knew told me that Time Warner called to contact him for excessive bandwidth usage and asked him to upgrade to a commercial plan, but he was doing an insane amount of stuff: several servers (mailserver, P2P, etc.), one computer was running SETI@home, and another for Rosetta@home.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-17, 06:56 PM
412.97 GB/556.09 GB/1.35

i got that call last month and i was told that i downloaded 278 gigs the month before and they wanted to up grade my acc to a commercial because of all my activeity.he said i crossed the line but wasnt able to tell me where that line was.fuck comcast,i already swiched to a wireless plan.shouldnt unlimited mean unlinited usage
Old 2007-04-19, 06:29 PM
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/
310.96 GB/299.86 GB/0.96

I'm not entirely sure this helps but when I notice my speeds really starting to slow down I just change ports and this seems to work.
Old 2007-04-19, 07:20 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
I'm on Rogers (canada)
I had them. Horrible. Extremely horrible. I was really lucky to get over 30KB/s download (on a 3mbit connection I think it was). Then I switched to Bell (3Mbit DSL) and got 500KB/s download.

Rogers shouldn't call its self an "internet service provider", they should call themselves a "website access provider" because the internet without downloading things is... Not godd :/

Quote:
shouldnt unlimited mean unlinited usage
It's just a marketing gimmick, they use some odd technicality to get past their obligations to provide what you signed up for :/

Quote:
i've had both...if i remember correctly, you get higher u/l speeds with cable than with DSL...but it really all depends on yer package and whats available in yer area...
Cable seems to be more shared (many people on one line), while DSL seems to not be. Also uploading at max speed on cable often makes downloading slow.
Fascism is capitalism in decay
Quote:
Imagine, Americans. An Empire did everything we are trying to do already, mostly better than us, because they actually had a CULTURE to offer the world, beyond Ronald McDonald.
http://victims.drugwarrant.com
Old 2007-04-20, 02:37 PM
883.40 GB/758.43 GB/0.86

Comcast SUCKS! They just switched over here from Time Warner. I have'nt had any problems yet using BiTorrent but my brother in law says they were limiting newsgroup or Usenet DL's to 2 gig! That's 2 not 20. He just switched to DSL. Not sure yet how he likes it.
Old 2007-04-20, 06:22 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain beyond
Comcast SUCKS! They just switched over here from Time Warner. I have'nt had any problems yet using BiTorrent but my brother in law says they were limiting newsgroup or Usenet DL's to 2 gig! That's 2 not 20. He just switched to DSL. Not sure yet how he likes it.
If you're referencing the Giganews service that comes as part of your Comcast plan, it's always been around a gig or two per month. Get a private usenet account through Giganews and they don't limit you....BUUUT...they WILL still contact you if you go over their unknown limit. Doesn't matter where you pulled the traffic from (usenet/ftp/bittorrent). So you're still back to square one. I think I've pulled somewhere around 50-60 gigs in one month just from Giganews before (not counting other sources). Don't use usenet like I used to though (not enough time)
Old 2007-04-23, 04:44 PM
Rez Ipsa Loquitor
264.10 GB/182.93 GB/0.69

2 gigs of bandwidth is not 2 gigs of data, I have current limit of 20 gigs, and I have dl'ed over 40 gigs from various sites in 1 month, no letter. That was a torrent or two a day. Nothing extreme, and be careful, change your client from the standard ports and encrypt, other than that, don't go wild and you should be fine.....
40 gigs is still alot, some of you must be realllly busy on bitTorrent sites, best of luck,
Brian
edit: also, stay away from shady torrent sites i.e. Piratebay.org, demonoid.com, etc. they seem to result in more letters, to put it basically, if you're not an uberleech and you dont dl Copywritten stuff, there will be no issue.
Old 2007-04-23, 05:33 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
edit: also, stay away from shady torrent sites i.e. Piratebay.org, demonoid.com, etc. they seem to result in more letters, to put it basically, if you're not an uberleech and you dont dl Copywritten stuff, there will be no issue.
I think they don't care where the downloading is coming from when they send you letters about too much bandwidth usage.

The issue of copyrighted material only matters to them when they get a letter from the RIAA, MPAA, etc.
Fascism is capitalism in decay
Quote:
Imagine, Americans. An Empire did everything we are trying to do already, mostly better than us, because they actually had a CULTURE to offer the world, beyond Ronald McDonald.
http://victims.drugwarrant.com
Old 2007-05-01, 05:05 PM
Rez Ipsa Loquitor
264.10 GB/182.93 GB/0.69

I just literally got a phone call from Comcast telling me that due to "a sudden spike in activity" they think someone has busted into my "unsecure" wireless connection. No threats, no RIAA, just a "check yo shit cuz you suckin band width" call. I was very surprised. Almost like when you spend alot on your credit card and they call to see whats going on.....
Old 2007-05-01, 05:25 PM
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61

Rogers shapes their p2p traffic.
You gotta know which ports to use.

I'm on rogers and always max out my connection.
On another note: I hacked the sb5101 and got x10 speeds up/down so it does work!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble