The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-17, 04:41 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Inexpensive CD/DVD burning programs?

just to clarify: Nero express will burn the DVD video files without altering them, then DVD Decrypter will extract without altering the files. So you can reseed DVD video shows using this method and the md5's will match.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-17, 05:12 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
AAR-Can you expand on your statement more? I've researched ONES previously and wasn't really blown away by the reading I did. It burns discs and some other tricks that seem to be _mostly_ similar to other burning apps. I mean, even the reviews I've read on it basically gave it a thumbs up, but no mention of a "WOW! Look what this does different!"
I've used Nero along with some other programs to burn (depends on what it is), and although some people tend to complain about Nero being "picky," personally I _like_ that! I would rather have a program tell me if a DVD was not created by book standard than not. It's extremely frustrating when I see torrents where people complain about Nero giving them a legitimate error flag, then see a dozen replies on "how to work around" it. Hello people!, the program is trying to tell you something there! ...so now you have people hacking little fixes...and then trading these discs to others to trade...
Sorry for the rant....but seriously, I've never seen it mentioned that ONES has any type of verification/authentication built into it that's more robust than other apps, so I'm wondering what you're getting at.
i agree re: people tryin to ignore errors...which is why i prefer ONES over Nero [which i had used for years and thought was the best option out there-and it was--til ONES]

when first started testing, i noticed that Nero was burning shows with small errors and saying everything was fine, whereas ONES caught the error and reported...i can't tell you what verification engine it uses, all i know is it caught errors that Nero didnt...as wolf was pointing out, Nero is a resource hog compared to ONES... and, Nero alters certain files [.ifo & .bup] and ONES doesn't, no matter which format yer burning

finally, Nero charges $80 and ONES charges $25

use whatever ya want, we really don't care...but i'm telling you, ONES is the best and most accurate burning prog out there for the windoze platform
Old 2007-05-17, 05:23 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
To burn video DVD's, I use Nero Express. If I want to make a copy at a later date, I extract with DVD Decrypter, which makes an exact copy of all the data. This has always resulted in a perfect burn and then perfect rip for me (not sayin' ONES isn't great)

If you absolutely must burn audio CD's right away and have no cash, Exact Audio Copy is a great free program to use. It is also the best program available for Windows to copy audio CD's to your hard drive. Don't know if it works with Vista though.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Nero alters files, check my post above...granted they are ifo/bup files [structural files] and not video content, but its till not the same file set as the original

and why use DVD Decrypter, which was designed for extracting copy-protected discs? this is something i see all the time being done/recommended but is unnecessary...any shows that are traded shouldn't need to be extracted--just drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to yer HD--easy as that
Old 2007-05-17, 12:00 PM
1.41 TB/1.55 TB/1.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
and why use DVD Decrypter, which was designed for extracting copy-protected discs? this is something i see all the time being done/recommended but is unnecessary...any shows that are traded shouldn't need to be extracted--just drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to yer HD--easy as that

agreed!
Old 2007-05-17, 12:08 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Maybe some burning/extracting methods that Nero uses alter .bup and .ifo files (I don't know, I've only used Nero Express to burn), but I just extracted a DVD that I burned using Nero Express, created an .md5 with MKWact and the files matched, including the .bup and .ifo files. I looked on the show's webpage where the .md5 is pasted into the first post of the show to check that they are the same. Nero Express is just an option from the main menu of Nero Ultra 7. I use the default settings when burning video DVD's.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble