The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-07-04, 03:36 PM
618.38 GB/906.84 GB/1.47

Question Re: New Tracker now Online

ok.... I'm slightly retarded so I just want to make sure i understand.

Torrents from like... 2 days ago are not tracked with the new tracker and thus don't affect your (my) stats on this site, but if I grab a torrent posted today and beyond - the stats will be updated on this site?

I think I understand.

I'm using ABC - does that affect my stats on this new tracker at all... I didn't see anyone with ABC posting on this thread.

also - the stats on the Live8 PF DVD show me as having no d/l and u/l speed and the % completed is off a little bit... should I check again in like an hour?

Last edited by BadLT; 2005-07-04 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-04, 03:41 PM
TTD VIP
843.74 GB/890.16 GB/1.06

Re: New Tracker now Online

Lynne: question:

Often when I seed shows I will log onto my computer from home and seed then copy the files over to another computer at my parents house since they don't have any need for high speed... will the track be able to update my stats coming from 2 different IP address and computers?
Thank you
-Harry
Old 2005-07-04, 03:59 PM
Wooooooooooot!
42.95 GB/73.16 GB/1.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLT
ok.... I'm slightly retarded so I just want to make sure i understand.

Torrents from like... 2 days ago are not tracked with the new tracker and thus don't affect your (my) stats on this site, but if I grab a torrent posted today and beyond - the stats will be updated on this site?

I think I understand.

I'm using ABC - does that affect my stats on this new tracker at all... I didn't see anyone with ABC posting on this thread.

also - the stats on the Live8 PF DVD show me as having no d/l and u/l speed and the % completed is off a little bit... should I check again in like an hour?
Try stop / starting your bt client to update your stats.

Also, any torrents submitted after yesterday I believe are tracked on the new tracker.
Old 2005-07-04, 04:02 PM
Wooooooooooot!
42.95 GB/73.16 GB/1.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhood
Lynne: question:

Often when I seed shows I will log onto my computer from home and seed then copy the files over to another computer at my parents house since they don't have any need for high speed... will the track be able to update my stats coming from 2 different IP address and computers?
Thank you
-Harry
You are not able to use two different clients in this version of the tracker software but that is a planned feature I have no doubt Lynne is thinking about. In a case such as that you can either create two identities and ask that the stats be merged into one on occassion or just ask for a credit to the one account as needed. Hope that helps.
Old 2005-07-04, 05:21 PM
618.38 GB/906.84 GB/1.47

yeah - i download/upload at work too... but only have one login... fact is... if i had more connections to play with I'd be using all of them.
Old 2005-07-04, 06:48 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think I'm going to hire Hal since he's doing such a good job answering all the questions. Of course, that might have something to do with this tracker being the same one he is using on his site, bootcity.

Hal is correct in what he has said so far. Harry, I know you do that (and quite a few of you DVD authors do so), so just send me a PM with the info and I can correct it. Same thing with you, BadLT. We will be working to get this new tracker/stats things running smoothly.

Old 2005-07-04, 07:38 PM
708.53 GB/1.01 TB/1.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal.grunwell
Shadow is a known faulty client along with:

• BitTorrent++
• Nova Torrent
• TorrentStorm

And in many cases the original BitTorrent client has been found to be faulty.

Try another client and see what happens. Lynne can credit you though for the time being.
For what it's worth, I use BitTornado 0.3.10. I have tried today to u/l on my TAB DVD torrent from last week, and didn't get any stats update, everything stayed at 0. But I joined the Floyd Live8 swarm for just a little bit and the stats updated as soon as I closed out the client and came back to the site. Seems to me that at least version 0.3.10 is working fine. While I'm sure it is different code, I have also u/l and d/l nearly 1/2 a TB at EZT/DIME without ever having issued with the stats.

So will the older torrents eventually begin to show up in our stats? I try to keep everything I seed on the HD plus try to help stranded swarms whenever I can...

Thanks for this big time undertaking, I think it can only improve an already excellent site. And special thanks to Hal who seems to be really helping out Lynne and the rest of the gang here.

ChrisJ
Old 2005-07-04, 08:04 PM
Wooooooooooot!
42.95 GB/73.16 GB/1.70

BitTornado is also faulty, sorry. Dime uses what is called passkey which I know Lynne is working on which will fix all those issues. It's not perfect but I am sure she will not begin enforcing stats until a system like that is in place as long as you are not a total leeching whore.

Lynne, I hope I can help here during your transition to this new tracker. I have been using it for six months and know it pretty well. As I always say, each site serves a purpose and creates a community together. Without each other we are nothing and by helping is my way of showing this.
Old 2005-07-04, 09:08 PM
708.53 GB/1.01 TB/1.46

Quote:
BitTornado is also faulty, sorry.
OK...but how is it faulty? Like I said in my previous post, it works fine on the Pink Floyd Live8 torrent, updating my stats just as it should have. But when I tried the TAB that I posted to the site last week, I saw no change.

I would think that this is because the TAB is on the old tracker, and the Floyd is on the new one, right? Seems to me that a 'faulty' client wouldn't work at all...
Old 2005-07-04, 09:12 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ
So will the older torrents eventually begin to show up in our stats? I try to keep everything I seed on the HD plus try to help stranded swarms whenever I can...

Thanks for this big time undertaking, I think it can only improve an already excellent site. And special thanks to Hal who seems to be really helping out Lynne and the rest of the gang here.

ChrisJ
Hey Chris,

We are just going to let the older torrents die. We'll clear them off the tracker (put them in Inactive) a bit faster than normal, and then if someone wants a reseed, it can go on the new tracker (with stats). I actually talked to both Hal (who uses this tracker on his site) and bowman (my server guy) about what it would take to convert all the other torrents to new torrents on the new tracker and it just seemed like a lot of effort.

I want to emphasize that at this point (and really, not even in the near or distant future), TTD has no intention of enforcing a share ratio. We needed a new tracker so we can put the attachments into the file system (and as soon as we get all the torrents off the old tracker I will do that) and this one also had a vbulletin interface that would allow people to see their share ratios (something people have been asking about). In the near future, I plan on making it an option on whether you want to see people's share ratios, just as it is an option on whether you want to see people's post counts. Some people care about that stuff, some people could care less. But, I will be working to make this new tracker work for the site, and Hal and I have been talking to each other about the little things we can do to improve this code.

And, I'll give thanks to Hal again for always being there for me (and my HELP!!!!!s) and always offering to help out right away. Oh, and for listening to my bitching about servers. hehe

Old 2005-07-05, 12:20 AM
blah? blahblah..
46.35 GB/14.07 GB/0.30

Wink Re: New Tracker now Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
It's the same tracker that is over on bootcity.org . Hal, one of the Admins over there, has been helping me to integrate it here. He's been a big help today when I've seen a few problems.
Its the same as Metfuk's tracker
Old 2005-07-05, 05:32 AM
Wooooooooooot!
42.95 GB/73.16 GB/1.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan
Its the same as Metfuk's tracker
Yup, the only difference is the backend was overhauled from the original to work properly and alot of bugs on the frontend Lynne has fixed. I know that you have fixed many too as you have been chasing sqrt like all of of us for v2!

Old 2005-07-05, 07:50 AM
blah? blahblah..
46.35 GB/14.07 GB/0.30

Quote:
Yup, the only difference is the backend was overhauled from the original to work properly and alot of bugs on the frontend Lynne has fixed. I know that you have fixed many too as you have been chasing sqrt like all of of us for v2!

nice, what bugs were they?
Yes, I cannot wait to see what sqrtboy has come up with this time
Old 2005-07-05, 09:25 AM
708.53 GB/1.01 TB/1.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Hey Chris,

We are just going to let the older torrents die. We'll clear them off the tracker (put them in Inactive) a bit faster than normal, and then if someone wants a reseed, it can go on the new tracker (with stats). I actually talked to both Hal (who uses this tracker on his site) and bowman (my server guy) about what it would take to convert all the other torrents to new torrents on the new tracker and it just seemed like a lot of effort.
Thaks Lynne, just what I needed to know. Not a problem for me at all.

Hopefully whatever the communication problem between the new tracker and BitTornado can be figured out sometime. I currently use 6 different BT trackers, and Tornado is the only client that works with all of them. It must have something to so with the way Tornado announces its stats to this tracker. I was connected most of the night to the Floyd Live8 swarm and this AM there was no change, but as soon as I hit the 'manual announce' button, there had been an update to my stats when I came back to the site. (Don't know if that helps any, it has probably already been discussed.) I just don't think it is fair to say that the Bit Tornado client is faulty, when it works on several other trackers.

Thanks again to you and Hal and bowman, and anyone else involved. This kind of volunteer dedication is a rarity and is a wonderful thing to be a part of. Y'all deserve a lot more!

ChrisJ
Old 2005-07-05, 09:46 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Shadow is a known faulty client along with:

• BitTorrent++
• Nova Torrent
• TorrentStorm

And in many cases the original BitTorrent client has been found to be faulty.

Try another client and see what happens. Lynne can credit you though for the time being.
ahh, so torrentstorm is the reason that all my stats (except DIME) are haywire. thanks for the info.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions