The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-03-05, 08:18 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! oop VHS tapes > iMAC transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneRoller View Post
Never really looked for the '82 Who gig though there is an 81 Rockpalast dvd that is great (the Dead played the same show, same night)
I authored a very comprehensive version of this:

The Who
December 17, 1982
Toronto, Canada

Disk 1 (108 minutes)
Press Conference at 20th Century Fox Studios
Los Angeles, CA

1. press conference intro
2. Alan Hirschfield comments
3. Andrew Wald comments
4. Mike Carruthers comments
5. opening statement by the band
6. questions (31 total)
7. Mike Carruthers closing comments

8. My Generation
9. Dangerous
10. Sister Disco
11. The Quiet One
12. It's Hard
13. Eminence Front
14. Behind Blue Eyes
15. Baba O'Riley
16. Doctor Jimmy

Disk 2 (94 minutes)
1. Boris The Spider
2. Drowned
3. Cry If You Want
4. Love Ain't For Keeping
5. Pinball Wizard
6. See Me, Feel Me
7. Who Are You
8. 5:15
9. Love Reign O'er Me
10. Long Live Rock
11. Won't Get Fooled Again
12. Naked Eye
13. Squeeze Box
14. Young Man Blues
15. Twist And Shout
16. outro
17. post-concert interviews
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-03-06, 06:39 AM
393.95 GB/545.18 GB/1.38

Quote:
I think I read through that link somewhere that certain older vcr's have the TBC built into them ? Does anyone have/know of the makes/models of the specific vcr's that have this? Pawn shops are full of vcr's these days and maybe I could get lucky...

Thanks for the input everyone

Tempusfugit, are you saying your vhs copy was in PAL format (in which case I didn't know that vhs tapes were pal/ntsc formats)? Or did you mean that when you captured it you had your capture device/software set-up to capture as PAL?
I use a standard Philips V.H.S. stereo Video player and a recordable
stand alone Philips D.V.D. Recorder. All Videos and D.V.D.s are either
N.T.S.C. or P.A.L. Format its down to how many lines are in the picture.
Most U.K. and European D.V.D.s and even later model Videos, can play
both P.A.L. and N.T.S.C. formats (don't get confused with regions,thats something else!) but not many American (N.T.S.C.) players play P.A.L.
Crazy eh?
Old 2010-03-06, 07:12 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
I think I read through that link somewhere that certain older vcr's have the TBC built into them ? Does anyone have/know of the makes/models of the specific vcr's that have this? Pawn shops are full of vcr's these days and maybe I could get lucky...
i use a Panasonic AG-1980P for home use [pretty sure all of the AG- line has built-in TBC, but not positive]

the key is getting a quality SVHS deck...most companies have models that use TBC & and some form of NR...
Old 2010-03-06, 12:49 PM
251.25 GB/117.67 GB/0.47

Nice. Thanks for the info. guys (and/or girls).

Tempus: I had no idea that the PAL/NTSC formats applied to video tapes. I thought it was just dvd's that had that formatting.

Stallion: Was that from Laser Disc? My Canadian vhs copy does not have those interviews/commentary/press conference

AAR: Those Panasonic ag1980's are pretty popular I've heard and fairly pricey on ebay, etc.. Same with the higher end jvc's. But maybe I could get lucky combing through some pawn shops/thrift stores. I'd shell out for one if I was gonna make a sizable project of it but I really don't have that many tapes in storage that I want to transfer, especially compared to some people that have boxes full.

I'm ripping that oop Sting tape right now and fortunately it's free of the copy-protection b.s.
Old 2010-03-07, 07:24 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I think I read through that link somewhere that certain older vcr's have the TBC built into them ? Does anyone have/know of the makes/models of the specific vcr's that have this?
You need to read this: What is a TBC? TBC in a VCR does not bypass protection.

Quote:
Pawn shops are full of vcr's these days and maybe I could get lucky...
Not really. Pawns shops only buy things they can resell, and demand for VCRs is near zero. That a pawn shop is "full of VCRs" is more of a myth than anything else. Don't believe me? Go to a pawn shop. At any rate, it's also highly unlikely you'd find a high-end VCR in a pawn shop.

Quote:
pretty sure all of the AG- line has built-in TBC
No, not all of them.

Quote:
All Videos and D.V.D.s are either N.T.S.C. or P.A.L. Format its down to how many lines are in the picture.
Close, but not quite.
VHS has NTSC, PAL and SECAM -- don't forget SECAM. VHS tapes varied in how color was stored, in addition to framerate and lines.
DVD is just PAL and NTSC. Color is all YUV data these days (hence the ability to play DVDs worldwide), and differ only in framerate and resolution (there are no lines in digital video).

Quote:
Most U.K. and European D.V.D.s and even later model Videos, can play both P.A.L. and N.T.S.C. formats (don't get confused with regions,thats something else!) but not many American (N.T.S.C.) players play P.A.L.
Crazy eh?
Actually, that's not really true anymore. For close to 5 years now, most players are made for worldwide use, cheaply made from kits in China. It's harder to find a player that does not do PAL, than to find one that does. Most people assume a DVD player does not play PAL because they confuse it with regions, having attempted to insert a foreign-bought disc in a player and having received a rejection error message. A ripped copy (with DVD region removed) would have no such issue.

Later.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 2010-03-07 at 07:34 PM.
Old 2010-03-08, 04:31 PM
251.25 GB/117.67 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Not really. Pawns shops only buy things they can resell, and demand for VCRs is near zero. That a pawn shop is "full of VCRs" is more of a myth than anything else. Don't believe me? Go to a pawn shop. At any rate, it's also highly unlikely you'd find a high-end VCR in a pawn shop.
First off, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with the informative info. I do appreciate it.

But I need to disagree on the pawn shop point though we are probably not in the same neck of the woods so their stock may differ for that reason (I'm in Edmonton, AB). Unless they've cleaned them out in the last few months or so (and I guess that's possible) the pawn shops here have stacks and stacks of vcr's. I wasn't basing that statement on a "myth" but simply my own observations, though you are no doubt right about the slim likelihood of finding a high-end one, which is why I initially said "get lucky". And while you are obviously talented in the area of video knowledge, etc.. do not under-estimate my skillz at street-level bargain hunting. Mad skillz yo

And yeah, since posting that a day or two ago I've since educated myself somewhat on tbc's, codes, regions and the various things needed in a vcr and/or tv to playback/watch a PAL DVD/video (talking about watching/dealing with PAL videos now as opposed to getting around the copy-protection thing). This whole regionalizing of video's and the related equipment is a real fuckaroo and I pray the industry makes no profit whatsoever from it

Thanks again for the replies

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble