The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-09-06, 01:19 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Hard Drives

the etree standard is exactly the problem I speak of
the database ends up showing a folder of tlg2008-09-05..which isnt too bad - right?!
but unless you have the text file with the show on your screen you never know 'what the tasty setlist is'
now you're just guessing that you want to play 'that band and date of show' - you cant choose by setlist/songs & its hard to remember TB's worth of setlists in your head.

(speakeasy as an example - and most other progs do exactly the same thing) - this is all you would see: tlg2008-09-05 - tlg2008-09-05d1t1

and that info sucks when browsing thousands of shows on a screen. you would have to have the original text file displayed to decipher.
..which again is why I'm currently a big fan of OrangeCD database - it includes the original text file on the screen with the show and artwork. no guessing.

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2008-09-06 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-09-06, 02:12 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I agree that would be nice. very nice. It's rare I go searching for a certain thing. I just throw in a random show. But it would be nice to have the setlist displayed.
Old 2008-09-06, 02:13 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman View Post
Let me guess mac?

I'm just kidding. Usually when people suggest things that have less potential and cost twice as much (but look really cute) I assume mac.
Sony and Apple, yes. You pay for what you get. BMW vs. Skoda? Makes sense?
Old 2008-09-06, 02:22 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karst View Post
You pay for what you get.
That is exactly my point.
Old 2008-09-06, 06:47 PM
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
that would be nice for store bought CD's
which brings up another major issue when going away from CD's
for live recordings it would require endless tagging of TB of data (read: never going to happen)
non tagged files from live shows are a HUGE issue. there is no data to identify what the hell the tracks are.
that display with 90% of shows collected from these type of sites would read: band name/track01 (at best)
OrangeCD does a really nice job with live shows from the online database to auto-tag live shows.
Tagging is a major pain - I've been using the live show tagger for Foobar 2000, it works relatively well with minimal need to alter a .txt file to get the song titles to be properly assigned. But it's still a slow process, I tend to do it in batches and I've got a ton of shows sitting on various hard drives waiting to be moved to my media PC.

Tagging and a good playback program (I use Jriver Media Center) also allows you to search your collection in an easier fashion - find all versions of a certain song, say, or at least scan a setlist before playing the show. If you get really into it you can (depending on program) even rate different versions of different songs although I don't have the patience for that sort of stuff.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble