The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-07-07, 10:29 PM
22.38 GB/31.99 GB/1.43

Am I Really Firewalled? (yes I read the FAQ)

I can't find the answer to this, so here goes: I just switched from DSL to cable last week. This site gave me the "Firewalled" hairy eyeball. I read stuff here, googled around, and changed my port based on what I read. Checked it out on CanYouSeeMe.org, and everything was cool. This was earlier today. I go to the torrent I'm trying to d/l (10/31/80 GD DVD), and it shows me as a peer. My name is NOT in red. All seems good. Tonight, me and the other seeders are all stuck at the same % Complete, I have the FIREWALL in red under my name, and when I check peers on the torrent, my port (43192) shows up in red.

I haven't had any trouble at other sites like etree or shnflac.org. Am I firewalled here? Why did I go from ok this morning (after switching ports) to Firewalled tonight? How do I fix this? I want to be able to give back after I d/l this, and want others to be able to connect to me and vice versa.

I am using a Netgear CG814WG v2 router. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-07, 11:27 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Am I Really Firewalled? (yes I read the FAQ)

if canyouseeme.org says you're good.. then you're good.
if you log out - stop the torrent..wait a min.. start the torrent & log back in it will go away.
sometimes the system can give false error - especially when you are changing the ports and settings around.
dont sweat it - and you're gonna love that show classic
Old 2008-07-08, 09:38 AM
22.38 GB/31.99 GB/1.43

Thanks. I was there the prior night, and tried unsuccessfully to scalp a ticket to Halloween.

I currently show that I'm not blocked, per canyouseeme.org, but that seems to change during the day. After spending a lot of time with Comcast this morning, it seems that my best hope is to ditch their router and use my own. I may decide NOT to do this, as this is my only issue, and I'm not quite positive if it is an issue or not. Seems like my downloading and uploading is pretty fast on sites with lots of seeders and leachers. Right now I'm d/ling at 55kbs and u/ling at 65kbs (my speed limit, so as not to piss off the spouse on the other computer...).

I am looking forward to eventually seeing this show, although I guess I have lots of it on Dead Ahead anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:32 AM
22.38 GB/31.99 GB/1.43

I hate to reply to my own post, what what the heck?

After a day of not being firewalled, and having canyouseeme actually see me, I got the Firewalled red dot of extreme embarrassment. At that point, canyouseeme could not see me. I have found, though, that if I close Transmission (my Mac oriented BT client) and reopen it, all of the sudden I have lots more peers showing, and my Firewall red dot is gone. What is all this telling me?
Old 2008-07-11, 10:42 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

does transmission need a new port for each new torrent?
i would look it up for you... but because of its lame name - Im getting too many hits for automobile Transmission parts (instead of transmission ports..lol)

some versions of this torrent client are banned here and at other popular sites - junky open source code that hammers a server.

it sounds like its using different ports for each torrent. consider a different client.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Unfortunately, I don't have Transmission installed, so I can't check it out (I'm on dialup at the moment and can't download it). When you set up Transmission, did you pick a port or did it randomly pick a port for you? And, if I recall, Transmission needs a port per torrent (unlike Azureus and utorrent which will use just one port for all the torrents) and so you need to make sure to forward a range of ports. If you pick port 45000 and you typically have 10 torrents open, you would need to open ports 45000 through 45010. Perhaps that is where you are going wrong?

(Damn Mr. Wolf, there we go thinking alike again!!! Good morning sweetie! )

Old 2008-07-11, 11:42 AM
22.38 GB/31.99 GB/1.43

Thanks for the replies. I had Azureus and hated it. Every time I would open it, it would try to download some update that it couldn't install.

I switched to transmission (transmissionbt.com) on the advice of some Mac users on line. I like how simple it is, and that I can have a night time speed limit that is different than the day time speed limit.

I believe I only forwarded one port, and when I look at Transmission>Preferences>Network,

it shows: Incoming TC Port: 43192 (Port is Open)
Automatically map port (checked)

So my point is that it doesn't show a range of ports, which makes me think it isn't necessary.

uTorrent, which I see lots of people use here, is not yet available for Macs, unless you install something else and then tweak it. Seems like a lot of trouble.

I admit I'm in over my head, but I want to do the right thing by everyone here, and keep my share ratio >1 (just got there, whew). I suppose I can give Azureus another try, but it has so much advertising crap on it, I'd really like to stick with Transmission 1.22 if I can.
Old 2008-07-11, 11:47 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

get a PC and utorrent.
resistance is futile.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-07-11, 01:31 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I did a little bit of searching (at the library with normal internet speeds!) and it looks like Transmission just uses one port. So, what you need to make sure of is that you have correctly set a (local) static IP for your computer and that you have forwarded the same port you input in Transmission to your computer in your router. Check out this guide for that: http://www.portforward.com/networkin...ic-Mac10.4.htm

(Oh, and don't listen to mooncusser, he's just jealous you have a Mac. )

Old 2008-07-11, 01:48 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
(Oh, and don't listen to mooncusser, he's just jealous you have a Mac. )
please don't tell all my secrets

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble