The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-16, 01:54 AM
sticky packer, icky stacker
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

another hippie needing help with ports/router

So, I know you guys must get tired of this but I can not figure out my router/ports. I truly appreciate any help. I have been to portforward.com and followed the instructions. Still, no luck.
My up/down speeds are capped at 40kBs. I'm on a Mac. I'm in N.Cali and have an ATT/SBC Yahoo acct. which is slow (due to my area). I'm using the router I got with the ISP deal. It is a Gateway 2Wire 2701HG-B. I was using Xtorrent originally (free, super-simple, nice Mac interface) but have switched to Azerus. Like I said, I followed all the instructions @portforward and am still stuck at 40kBS .
Also, I have my firewall settings off but I notice (when I visit here) that I'm listed as firewalled.....but, not all the time Maybe about half the time. I know thist probably sounds screwed up and I realize hat I could be missing something along the way.
I truly appreciate this scene and wish to participate at an acceptable level. I don't want to be a leech. I don't want to have lame ratios and it's so hard to be passing on some of the shows because I can't I can't keep up. So again, thanks for any help with this.

namaste,
Jalew
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-16, 11:00 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: another hippie needing help with ports/router

First off, forwarding your ports is NOT going to get you better speeds than what you are supposed to get from your ISP. All forwarding your ports does is make it so you are no longer firewalled. And, that means that you can then connect to all other possible peers - both firewalled and non-firewalled peers. If you are firewalled, you can only connect to non-firewalled peers - so it limits the number of peers it is possible for you to connect to.

I just looked at the torrents you are currently downloading. On some, you are listed as using port 64999 and on another you are using port 65513. So, something is wrong with your settings. You should be using the same port for all the shows. So, pick one, say 64999 and use that one.

In your system preferences, go to Network and pick your Built-in Ethernet (I would guess that is what you are using? Pick whatever has the Green light next to it) and hit Configure. On the TCP/IP page, do you have Configure IPv4 set to Manually? Under that, you will have an IP address that looks something like 192.168.1.xxx That is the IP you want to forward your ports to in your router. Are you able to get to your router by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser? That is where you then want to make sure DHCP is not on and then forward port 64999 to your IP, 192.168.1.xxx. Make sure your Mac firewall is not on (Sys Preferences > Sharing > Firewall). Make sure port 64999 is set in Azureus. And, that should do it. Let us know where you are having problems with this.

Old 2007-03-16, 11:14 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I just looked at the torrents you are currently downloading. On some, you are listed as using port 64999 and on another you are using port 65513. So, something is wrong with your settings. You should be using the same port for all the shows. So, pick one, say 64999 and use that one.
Lynne. I don't think this is correct. You can use as many as you want. You just need to make sure you forward the entire range through the router.... A lot of clients use separate ports for each torrent.
Old 2007-03-16, 11:40 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
Lynne. I don't think this is correct. You can use as many as you want. You just need to make sure you forward the entire range through the router.... A lot of clients use separate ports for each torrent.
Yep, you are right. I was thinking at first that he had the 'random' port setting turned on (like in utorrent) but I don't think that is possible for Azureus. He just needs to decide which ports he wants and then stick with those and make sure all of them are forwarded.

Old 2007-03-16, 12:04 PM
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

Thank you kind folks for the help. I will take a lunch break soon and run through your instructions. Again, I appreciate the advice and hope take care of this a.s.a.p.
Old 2007-03-16, 12:26 PM
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

First off, my IPv4 was NOT manual. It was with DHCP. When I change it to manually though, the IP addy changes from the 192.168.1.xxx to 0.0.0.0. but now the addy is listed in the Router box.
Is that correct?
My computer's firewall is off. As far as my router, I believe my firewall is on, but I've forwarded the ports to Azerus per the instructions from portforward.com. When I go to my router settings, this is what it says......

Current Settings: Custom

Device-Allowed Applications-ApplicationType-Protocol-Port Number(s)-Public IP

192.168.1.## Azur2 - TCP 65513 75.31.53.1##
Azur1 - TCP 65513 75.31.53.1##
Azur3 - UDP 65513 75.31.53.1##

Of course, I changed the last two numbers in the addys above. I hope this info is relevant to my issue. Thanks again.
Old 2007-03-16, 12:50 PM
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

so I just typed the 75.31. number into my network settings for the IP addy and it re-connected.
again, I hope this is correct and appreciate any advice. thanks.
Old 2007-03-16, 01:29 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

This is what mine looks like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg network.jpg
( 24.4 KB, 69 views)

Old 2007-03-16, 02:30 PM
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

Hmm...mine also. Still listed as firewalled on here. I just tried the Open Port Check Tool and it said..

"Error: I could not see your service on 75.44.202.xxx on port (65513)
Reason: Connection timed out"

but that wasn't the IP addy that I had entered into my network settings. So I tried changing my IP addy the the new one and...
it seems I am still listed as firewalled. DOH!!
Hmm. It's not my intention to impose on you any further. I REALLY appreciate you taking time from your day to help me through this. Like I said before, I hope to participate in this awesome exchange of music at an acceptable level and can't wait to get this figured out. I will make time to research this further and look forward to a life with no firewall
Actually, if I could ask another question..Could I solve this issue by replacing my router? Is this neccesary?
Also, the reason I've continued this conversation in the forum here, as opposed to IM, is in the hopes it could help someone else.
Thank you again! TTD rocks.
Old 2007-03-16, 03:13 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

heres what mine looks like....i use Bit Torrent and i have a 2wire router.....
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png
( 49.1 KB, 58 views)

Old 2007-03-16, 03:15 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

and here is a screen of thr firewall summary after i did the ports thing via portforward.com......hope this helps.....im not firewalled here or dime....
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png
( 23.2 KB, 57 views)

Old 2007-03-16, 06:32 PM
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

Doh! Thank you for the screen shots. I tried syncing my info...no luck. with Azerus, portforward.com suggests setting up three azerus apps (az1,az2,az3) in the 2Wire, where I noticed you only have the one for BitTorrent.
Should I try another client? Thank you again.
Old 2007-03-20, 09:13 PM
91.03 GB/72.68 GB/0.80

i know this isn't a good idea to leave on forever but couldn't jalew just go into the router set up and select dmz to see if it is still firewalled?
Old 2007-03-20, 10:51 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric182
i know this isn't a good idea to leave on forever but couldn't jalew just go into the router set up and select dmz to see if it is still firewalled?
Well, that would certainly let him know if the problem is in his router or not.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble