The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-05-12, 10:03 AM
in LA LA land
6.86 GB/47.63 GB/6.94

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat73 View Post
SBEs are only an issue on 16 bit, 44.1kHz files
Please excuse the ignorance, but I don't understand why it's not an issue in 48k
Old 2008-05-12, 03:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Lightbulb Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs23 View Post
Hi Robert,
I've searched the thread but couldn't find anything regarding SBE checking/repair for 48/24 files. Using V2.2.2(build 152) I am I missing something? It will flac encode these files just fine.
TIA
Bob S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat73 View Post
SBEs are only an issue on 16 bit, 44.1kHz files
Please excuse the ignorance, but I don't understand why it's not an issue in 48k
SBEs do matter only if you want to burn an Audio CD, and the standard for Audio CDs specifies the form of digital audio encoding as 2-channel signed 16-bit PCM sampled at 44100 Hz. Audio CDs hold data in blocks of a given length, so called sectors. If an audio track break is not on a sector boundary, the rest of the sector is filled with zeroes before the next track begins. This may cause an audible gap between the tracks.

Btw, please upgrade your version of TLH. In its Help menu there is a Check for update item that allows you to check and upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm6797 View Post
Is there any way to have all of the custom settings saved?

IE: when I encode WAV files to FLAC I use the same settings every time, but the are lost as soon as I close TLH
Open Options > Preferences > Audio compression. The compression settings there are the settings TLH will start with as defaults. The default encoding format can be set in the Encode wav files section of the Preferences dialog.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-12, 06:10 PM
82.09 GB/270.38 GB/3.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Open Options > Preferences > Audio compression. The compression settings there are the settings TLH will start with as defaults. The default encoding format can be set in the Encode wav files section of the Preferences dialog.
Sorry, I should have been clearer.

The settings I have to keep setting are:
test encoded files
create checksum file (and the setting in the drop down)
delete source file

These have to be set every time I launch TLH
Old 2008-05-13, 12:39 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer.

The settings I have to keep setting are:
test encoded files
create checksum file (and the setting in the drop down)
delete source file

These have to be set every time I launch TLH
Yeah, the defaults of those settings aren't changeable. Added to the to-do-list ...
Old 2008-05-13, 01:25 AM
82.09 GB/270.38 GB/3.29

[quote=roann;870216]
Quote:
Yeah, the defaults of those settings aren't changeable. Added to the to-do-list ...
Thanks for the help! Keep up the cool product
Old 2008-05-30, 09:18 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Icon4 New release v2.4.0 (build 159) available

New build 159 is available (use TLH's build-in Check for update function, or download installer here).

This was thought to be a maintenance release but a couple of user requests "forced" me to add and change some things besides the bug fixing. Creation of both trackerless and multi-tracker torrent files is possible now. Trackerless torrent files can be decoded and checked. Changeable default settings in the 'Encode wav files' and 'Re-encode flac files' sections of the 'Preferences' dialog to set post (re-)encoding tasks were added. When processing a valid .flac file in older releases in some cases the result is a 'file is not a supported type of audio file or is corrupt' error. This was fixed.

As usual you can find all details about what has been done in the change log (Start > Programs > Trader's Little Helper > Change Log).

Robert
Old 2008-05-30, 10:50 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

In my torrents created with an earlier version of TLH, I would say "TLH sez no SBEs", because when I converted my wav to flac, a message would come up from TLH saying "No need to correct sector boundary errors - files are already sector-aligned"

The new version doesn't seem to check this; or if it does, it doesn't actually say so......

Not a critical issue, I'm just assuming unless TLH protests, that my files are sector-aligned.

Regards, Graham
Old 2008-05-30, 01:50 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
In my torrents created with an earlier version of TLH, I would say "TLH sez no SBEs", because when I converted my wav to flac, a message would come up from TLH saying "No need to correct sector boundary errors - files are already sector-aligned"

The new version doesn't seem to check this; or if it does, it doesn't actually say so......

Not a critical issue, I'm just assuming unless TLH protests, that my files are sector-aligned.

Regards, Graham
In earlier versions shntool.exe and flac.exe were involved when encoding to flac with Align on sector boundaries enabled. The last releases use flac.exe only, and flac.exe doesn't give such a "global statement" as shntool.exe does. But the info you're missing is still there, it just looks a little bit different.

If there are SBEs the process log will tell you how many bytes had to be carried over for sector alignment, for example:

rack1_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track1_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.386; 1936 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track2_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track2_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.367; 944 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track3_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track3_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.468; 800 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track4_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track4_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.428; 2096 zero-bytes appended for sector alignment)

If there aren't any SBEs the process log will tell that there was no need for sector alignment, for example:

track1_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track1_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.386; no need for sector alignment).
track2_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track2_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.367; no need for sector alignment).
track3_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track3_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.468; no need for sector alignment).
track4_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track4_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.428; no need for sector alignment).

Robert
Old 2008-06-10, 10:21 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Icon4 New release v2.4.1 (build 160) available

New build 160 is available (use TLH's build-in Check for update function, or download installer here).

This release comes with one new function for the Verify checksum files page. Some users requested the ability to search for all checksum files (of given type(s)) located in a given directory and all of its subdirectories so you don't have to add file by file manually. To open the new dialog right-click on the Add button and choose the second item of the popup menu that will come up.

Robert
Old 2008-06-10, 05:23 PM
The Music Guru!
27.05 GB/110.53 GB/4.09

Thanks for the update Robert. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Old 2008-06-10, 07:09 PM
284.38 GB/1.37 TB/4.94

Thumbs up Re: Trader's Little Helper

I just have to say thank you for TLH. This is about the best damned piece of software I've ever used. I have become to rely on it heavily. Two thumbs up! Great work!
Old 2008-06-19, 05:12 AM
53.59 GB/227.27 GB/4.24

Re: New release v2.4.1 (build 160) available

Quote:
This release comes with one new function for the Verify checksum files page. Some users requested the ability to search for all checksum files (of given type(s)) located in a given directory and all of its subdirectories so you don't have to add file by file manually. To open the new dialog right-click on the Add button and choose the second item of the popup menu that will come up.

Robert
Robert - many thanks for this excellent software! Is there any way the same feature can be done for FLAC files? I would like to "Test encoded audio files" but in one large batch, i.e. selecting a directory and the software finds all the flacs in that directory and tests them. Is this possible? Again, thanks.
Old 2008-06-19, 09:16 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: New release v2.4.1 (build 160) available

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoutez View Post
Robert - many thanks for this excellent software! Is there any way the same feature can be done for FLAC files? I would like to "Test encoded audio files" but in one large batch, i.e. selecting a directory and the software finds all the flacs in that directory and tests them. Is this possible? Again, thanks.
It is possible. I'll try to add it to the next release I'm working on.

Robert
Old 2008-06-26, 07:50 AM
Now he's just a bag of garbage
349.24 GB/860.90 GB/2.47

Hi Robert,

As always, thanks for this great program! Just one little nitpick (and i'm sorry if this has been brought up before - i searched the thread, but couldln't find anything): Would it be possible to carry over my added files from one menu feature to the next? That is, i select my flac files to Test. They all test out ok, then i want to check them for SBE's and i have to add them again. Assuming they check out ok, then i want to decode them and i have to add them again. It would be nice if the added files remained selected until i cleared them.

Also, i would second the above request that you could select all flac files in a given directory with one click.

Thanks again...your program is really awesome!

----------Nothing is Real!
Old 2008-06-26, 09:26 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaz View Post
... As always, thanks for this great program!
As always, thanks for saying thanks , my pleasure.

Quote:
... Just one little nitpick (and i'm sorry if this has been brought up before - i searched the thread, but couldln't find anything): Would it be possible to carry over my added files from one menu feature to the next? That is, i select my flac files to Test. They all test out ok, then i want to check them for SBE's and i have to add them again. Assuming they check out ok, then i want to decode them and i have to add them again. It would be nice if the added files remained selected until i cleared them.
This has been brought up before, at least in some of these email requests I'm getting all the time.

If I would take money the MS way for each implemented request I wouldn't have to work anymore for a living and would post from my own caribbean island . Anyway, I'll try to implement this, but you'll have to wait for the next release (won't be out before somewhere in autumn).

Quote:
... Also, i would second the above request that you could select all flac files in a given directory with one click.
This definitely will be available with the next release .

Quote:
... Thanks again...your program is really awesome!
Now stop this ...

Robert

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper