The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-07, 03:53 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

dvd mac burning issue

ok, so i'm rather new to the whole video dl'ing and am admittedly no computer genius(just a preface), i've made copies of dvds before with my powerbook g4 using disk utility and the whole creating a disk image with no problems. so i've dl'd my first video and am having such a problem getting it to burn correctly. i've tried creating a disk image using both the ts video folder alone as well as the entire overall folder and burned to a dvd-r. but upon completion, my computer ejects the disk and when i put it back in to see if it worked it holds it for like ten seconds and then spits it right back out. i've tried a different disk imaging program as well as a different burn program with the same result. i've viewed the individual vob files on my computer so i know they're there and working. i'm at my wits end, and sick of wrecking all these disks!!! what am i doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-07, 04:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: dvd mac burning issue

Make sure only bup, ifo, and vob files are in the VIDEO_TS folder. Then, take a look at this: http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/apples...dvdimager.html

Old 2007-05-07, 04:56 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Make sure only bup, ifo, and vob files are in the VIDEO_TS folder. Then, take a look at this: http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/apples...dvdimager.html
i've checked the ts folder, only those three files are present. and i've already downloaded dvd imager and used it to create an image. shouldn't i then be able to drop the created image into disk utility and burn it? i've done that with the aforementioned outcome. any other ideas as to what else could be wrong?
Old 2007-05-07, 05:22 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hmmmm, I guess I would make sure that the files verified correctly using the checksums provided. Then, if they did, I would look through the thread and see if anyone else has been having any problems.

So, what you are seeing is the disk seemingly burning fine, but then your computer rejects it? Is this maybe a new pack of media? Even if not, have you tried burning a disc from another pack of media? Or tried a different type of media? Which torrent thread is it?

Old 2007-05-07, 05:29 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
Hmmmm, I guess I would make sure that the files verified correctly using the checksums provided. Then, if they did, I would look through the thread and see if anyone else has been having any problems.

So, what you are seeing is the disk seemingly burning fine, but then your computer rejects it? Is this maybe a new pack of media? Even if not, have you tried burning a disc from another pack of media? Or tried a different type of media? Which torrent thread is it?
i'm attempting to burn again. here's a question, should the disk image/file i am burning have an extention with .img or .dmg? otherwise i don't think its the media, i've used this pack before. it's the 7-2-06 dmb torrent, which i know works fine, a friend of mine got it and burned it with no issues, he's offered to burn it for me but i am bound and determined to figure it out for myself!
Old 2007-05-07, 05:49 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I believe you should end up with an iso file. However, I don't burn using that method, I use Toast to burn my DVDs.

You've said that the computer rejects the disk after you've burned it, but what about your DVD player? What happens with it?

Old 2007-05-07, 05:56 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
I believe you should end up with an iso file. However, I don't burn using that method, I use Toast to burn my DVDs.

You've said that the computer rejects the disk after you've burned it, but what about your DVD player? What happens with it?

my dvd player doesn't recognize it. i can view it on the dvd player on my computer just fine. i wonder why i can't see an iso file. i guess i'll have to work on achieving that. thanks for all your help, i gotta run hopefully i can figure it out eventually!
Old 2007-05-07, 06:11 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What kind of file are you ending up with? I was guessing an iso file because of the directions given in the link I originally posted:

Step by step instructions for using DVD Imager
1. Use iDVD or some other Video DVD tool to create
A.) a VIDEO_TS folder with muxed video and audio encoded in MPEG2, or
B.)a folder with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and additional files and folders.
2. Launch DVD Imager
3. If you chose option A, be sure that VIDEO_TS folder mode is selected. If you chose option B, be sure that Disk Copy Mode is selected.
4. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto either the DVD Imager Dock icon or the DVD Imager window. If you chose Disk Copy Mode (option B), DVD Imager will use the AUDIO_TS folder and additional files and folders found in the same location (folder) as the VIDEO_TS folder.
5. Click "Create Image"..
6. Specify the location where you want the disk image to be placed (if this is the first time you've created a disk image with DVD Imager, or if a checkmark appears in "Prompt for New Location").
7. Enter the name of the DVD using only capital letters and underscores. This is the name that computer users will see when they insert your Video DVD into their computer
8. Wait.

You can now review the Video DVD disk image by using the Finder to mount the .iso image (double click) and DVD Player to play the DVD by specifying the location of the VIDEO_TS folder in the mounted image. You can also burn the image to a blank DVD disk:

Tiger & Panther - Choose "Burn..." from Disk Utility's Images menu, navigate to and select your disk image file.

Jaguar - Choose "Burn Image..." from Disk Copy's File menu, navigate to and select your disk image file.

Are you entering the DVD name in all caps and underscores as mentioned in the directions above?

What version of Mac OS are you using?

Old 2007-05-07, 06:50 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

after creating the disk image it shows in my disk utility with two icons, one is the image, with the .img extension, the other is a mounted volume. i've titled it with the caps on and underscored my spaces, and i'm using osx version 10..4.9.
Old 2007-05-07, 07:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm talking about what the extension is when you first create the disk image with DVD Imager..... doesn't it show up on your desktop? You realize that you cannot create a playable video DVD using Disk Utility, right? (You cannot open Disk Utility and do a Create Disk Image from Folder.)

Old 2007-05-07, 07:28 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

what is really confusing me is the lack of any iso file. after i create the image it appears on my desktop as an img(DMB_7.2.06D1.img) file. not sure how or if i can change it to an iso file? but when i click on it in my finder, it opens and shows the VIDEO_TS folder along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder. have tried burning it with no different results as before
Old 2007-05-07, 07:31 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushboy47
what is really confusing me is the lack of any iso file. after i create the image it appears on my desktop as an img(DMB_7.2.06D1.img) file. not sure how or if i can change it to an iso file? but when i click on it in my finder, it opens and shows the VIDEO_TS folder along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder. have tried burning it with no different results as before
I wonder if those periods are confusing it? Maybe try calling it just "DMB2006-07-02"?

Old 2007-05-07, 07:41 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
I wonder if those periods are confusing it? Maybe try calling it just "DMB2006-07-02"?

i've created a number of disk images and used different names, with and without periods with no luck. i've found a way to convert the file from an img to an iso so i'm gonna create yet another disk image and attempt to burn again. wish me luck.
Old 2007-05-07, 07:45 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

ok, attempted to convert the file to an iso but was told that i couldn't, have to use .cdr. when i get info on the file it says that it is not writable, do i assume that it wont work if it is considered not writable?
Old 2007-05-08, 05:08 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

a .cdr file is a picture file [corel draw], yer headed down the wrong path

is the show a dual layer [DVD9] show, or are you trying to burn "more than one disc" as one disk image? have you tried running the checksum to make sure its complete/undamaged?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble