The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-25, 03:51 PM
476.53 GB/1.17 TB/2.52

2 questions...

First question:

I normally use EAC for all of my audio ripping needs. I recently received a CD copied from another using Nero... Should I recomend my source use EAC and send me a new copy before I share the tracks?

Second question:

Regarding officially released materials - Are demo tracks as ripped from promotional CDs/cassettes considered officially released materials?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-25, 04:14 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: 2 questions...

I think the answer is yes and yes. But I am not sure about the second one.
Old 2006-01-25, 05:20 PM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkramar78
First question:

I normally use EAC for all of my audio ripping needs. I recently received a CD copied from another using Nero... Should I recomend my source use EAC and send me a new copy before I share the tracks?
You should contact your source and see if they still have the original SHN or FLAC files. If they don't then have them rip the CD using xACT and have them generate an extraction log. I learned this nifty little trick the other night and I'm quite impressed by it.

Quote:
Second question:

Regarding officially released materials - Are demo tracks as ripped from promotional CDs/cassettes considered officially released materials?

Thanks in advance for any help...
I do not think that demo tracks count as officially released material as they were never commercially available (i.e. they could not be bought). I know I have a few demos in my collection. If I'm wrong here, please someone, correct me.
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2006-01-25, 05:40 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheatherc
rip the CD using xACT and have them generate an extraction log.
nkramar78--from the "testing" some of us have run, xACT [Mac] and EAC [PC] are the *only* reliable progs for extracting...and always save/trade the extraction log

as for demos, i guess it would sort of depend on a case-by-case basis...but like heather, i've got quite a few demos in my list
Old 2006-01-25, 05:59 PM
476.53 GB/1.17 TB/2.52

Thanks for all of the input.

Actually, both questions had to do with the other. I've been able to obtain several sources of demos Linkin Park did in their early days... A friend of mine got another and sent me the 'copy' of the disc. I should have probably specified how he should have copied it. It just delays me offering the torrent a bit.

As for the official/unofficial question, this would be the lineup:

1 track from the Ozzfest 2000 sampler CD (have a feeling this is too official).
2 tracks from a CD pressed by the band while they were trying to get signed.
4 tracks from a tape done in the early days, shortly after they got together.
9 tracks from a WB acetate submitted as the official demos.
The last 6 would be from the band's early EP, a self-pressed CD that's become a rarity that I ended up paying big bucks to own a true copy of...
Old 2006-01-26, 06:56 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input.

Actually, both questions had to do with the other. I've been able to obtain several sources of demos Linkin Park did in their early days... A friend of mine got another and sent me the 'copy' of the disc. I should have probably specified how he should have copied it. It just delays me offering the torrent a bit.
It's better to delay a bit and do something properly then to rush and have a less then perfect show circulating.

Quote:
As for the official/unofficial question, this would be the lineup:

1 track from the Ozzfest 2000 sampler CD (have a feeling this is too official).
2 tracks from a CD pressed by the band while they were trying to get signed.
4 tracks from a tape done in the early days, shortly after they got together.
9 tracks from a WB acetate submitted as the official demos.
The last 6 would be from the band's early EP, a self-pressed CD that's become a rarity that I ended up paying big bucks to own a true copy of...
I'd say your totally fine on tracks 2-6 and 10-15. I don't know about the first track.....I would think it is fine as long as the sampler CD was never for sale, same with the tracks from the official demo. Also be sure that none of these tracks show up on any complitaion or live release that LP might have put out (sorry I'm not all that familiar with their catelogue).
Old 2006-01-26, 06:55 PM
476.53 GB/1.17 TB/2.52

@ Heather - Thanks for the help. I know better than to offer up tracks with a questionable lineage.

I'm pretty certain that none of these tracks have ever been released officially or will ever be. I've collected LP shows and items as well for several years now... I own most every officially released CD/DVD/tape/promo in their catalog and can completely verify that none of the demo tracks I'd offer appear on anything.

Many of the demo tracks LP fans have are mp3s made available by the band in their early days on their website as well as mp3.com. Having access to many of the early recordings (or in my case, having a generous friend too), I'd like to change what's in circulation. Unfortunately, what I'd be releasing would only cover a portion of the demos known. Hopefully, other sources will surface. *crosses fingers*
Old 2006-01-27, 11:16 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
@ Heather - Thanks for the help. I know better than to offer up tracks with a questionable lineage.
Werd.

Quote:
I'm pretty certain that none of these tracks have ever been released officially or will ever be. I've collected LP shows and items as well for several years now... I own most every officially released CD/DVD/tape/promo in their catalog and can completely verify that none of the demo tracks I'd offer appear on anything.
Then I'd say that all the stuff on your list is good to go. That certainly looks like it's going to be a great torrent.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble