The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-10, 01:49 PM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Question Analog Audio Sourced from Analog Video - Higher Sample Rates and Bit Depths?

There are numerous consumer (and professional) analog video formats including VHS, S-VHS, 8mm, and Hi8. All of these formats record their audio tracks most commonly in an analog format. Wouldn't this mean that the audio from these formats could be recorded in sample rates in upwards of 48 kHz and bit depths in upwards of 16 bits?

This would mostly apply to audio from camcorders and non-broadcast sourced video, as the audio could then be assured that it was not captured from a digital source. I say "non-broadcast sourced video" because audio recorded from cable television broadcasts may come from a digital source (converted into an analog signal before it reaches the viewer), and also audio recorded from satellite/digital cable DEFINITELY has a digital source.

Sure, a hi-fi audio track may not exceed 20 kHz and a monaural audio track may not exceed 12 kHz (both according to their specifications), but do multi-generation cassette tapes and tape reels always reach 20 kHz in accordance to actual content (not noise)? No. So, why can't analog audio tracks sourced from consumer analog video formats also be preserved in the same manner that other analog audio formats are?

There are numerous other points that could be made and considered (such as microphone frequency response and the frequency response of the human ear), however, this is the basis of my thoughts.

What are your thoughts on this? Why do you support or not support this?

Last edited by forkstriker4; 2006-12-11 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-12, 05:50 AM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Re: Analog Audio Sourced from Analog Video - Higher Sample Rates and Bit Depths?

No one? Does anyone have any interest in this, or thoughts on it? Bump.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:04 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Analog Audio Sourced from Analog Video - Higher Sample Rates and Bit Depths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkstriker4
Sure, a hi-fi audio track may not exceed 20 kHz and a monaural audio track may not exceed 12 kHz (both according to their specifications), but do multi-generation cassette tapes and tape reels always reach 20 kHz in accordance to actual content (not noise)? No. So, why can't analog audio tracks sourced from consumer analog video formats also be preserved in the same manner that other analog audio formats are?
for "cd quality" its 22.5kHz (just a nitpick)

I'm not positive what sort of conversation you're looking for here... if you want to share an audio rip from an analog video source (lossless) that is fine, has been done here before as well.

personally, I'm fine with a dvd version (if available) and can rip the audio myself if I feel the need

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-12-12, 03:04 PM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
for "cd quality" its 22.5kHz (just a nitpick)

I'm not positive what sort of conversation you're looking for here... if you want to share an audio rip from an analog video source (lossless) that is fine, has been done here before as well.

personally, I'm fine with a dvd version (if available) and can rip the audio myself if I feel the need
Well, I suppose I am just curious as to why I do not see audio sourced shows from any of these sources very often, if they sounded good. I have seen shows sourced from hi-fi VHS.

I suppose I might have to re-think this one...

Does anyone regard these sources as inferior, and therefore not wothy of a "higher quality" transfer? I can see that monaural VHS audio is inferior...

Last edited by forkstriker4; 2006-12-12 at 03:10 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble