The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2015-01-01, 03:43 PM
936.98 MB/93.66 MB/0.10

Beginner here needing knowledge

Greetings to all this is my first post and i am new to the whole hifi music. I am 22 a marine who enjoys high quality music always had someone to download them for me though. Heres to my first attempt to grasp the knowledge of music files and different bit rates. This is a forum so can anyone please enlighten me on the difference between 16 and 24 bit. No need to dummy it down for me. Also can i get knowledge on what file type i should play in my car? If anyone here knows anything about audio i have 2 helix a4, helix dsp (not the pro no need for 10 channels) PHD 3 way mixed sets MF 6.5, AF 4.1, and AF 1.1 silk. no rear stage, but sub stage i have a really good sq 12 on about 300 watts. I'm all about sq. can someone please guide me on what i need to download and what so stay away from. Just the beginner do's and dont's.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2015-01-01, 04:45 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

Re: Beginner here needing knowledge

I know this does not answer all your questions but, for your car from a sound quality perspective it is not all that important as road noise will keep one from hearing the little nuances of uncompressed audio files from my experience at least. Then the other consideration becomes storage space and whether or not it is an issue. Do you want one version of a show/album or multiple versions due to various listening conditions. I for example use MP3 versions on my MP3 player due to external noise issues. Otherwise the bulk of my music is in FLAC format.

For downloading purposes I prefer SBD, Pre-FM, FM and MTX recordings as the quality is generally better. When you get back to stuff from the early 70s and before it becomes more of a crapshoot. Listen to samples when you can.

There is a good deal of useful info here-http://etree.org/ Some of it is out of date but it is worth looking at, especially the wiki.

Have fun.

jr.

But what if the one guy is right and the 10,000 is wrong

Remember to give the Staff/mods and everyone all the respect they have earned !
Old 2015-01-01, 05:21 PM
936.98 MB/93.66 MB/0.10

my car is heavily matted, theres no road noise my car is already naturally quiet. a lot of road noise is from bad tires. when i start to hear road noise i get new tires so about every 3-5 months. i don't want recorded shows because the lack of quality. I've already downloaded 2 shows today and it was really bad quality even though it said flac files 24 bit. it sounded like it came straight off a phone. can you direct me to any albums? otis redding, michael bubble, jacqui naylor, that kind of stuff. i listen to everything. ranging from classical to baroque, metal,rap, blues, jazz just to name a few things. Is most of the turrents here shows????
Old 2015-01-01, 06:22 PM
Suicidal For Life
1.38 TB/14.95 TB/10.80

This is all about live recordings, not studio albums. If you want studio albums google kickass (seriously, it's a public torrent site).
Originally Posted by Freezer
I heard obama was an inexperienced, terrible administrator who likely could never hack it in the private sector.
So you are like the Obama of TTD?
Old 2015-01-01, 07:35 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

I find live shows to be better because I enjoy the human feel of them. They also to be not over produced w background strings/orchestration etc. You may like something else.

Because a show you download says it is 24 bit FLAC does not mean it is high quality from a sonic perspective. That is why I pointed you towards SBD, FM etc.

To give you an idea of what it can be here try some of mdshrk1s shows that are FM. He puts up a mix of Classical and Folk from Chicago stations and the quality is pretty consistent. Here is an example-

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=115246

I have not listened to it but what he puts up is generally pretty decent. There are samples. Listen to them and decide for yourself.

Hope you find what you want.

jr.

But what if the one guy is right and the 10,000 is wrong

Remember to give the Staff/mods and everyone all the respect they have earned !
Old 2015-01-02, 03:43 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine0829 View Post
my car is heavily matted
Put a comb through it!

Quote:
i get new tires so about every 3-5 months.
You got way too much money to burn.

Quote:
I've already downloaded 2 shows today and it was really bad quality even though it said flac files 24 bit.
If you're interested in a show download 1 track, listen to it, then decide if you want the whole thing.
Sound quality has NOTHING to do with bit rate.
Old 2015-01-03, 02:26 PM
1.55 TB/1.70 TB/1.10

what size tires do you use?
I got a 2010 camry

you can't listen to 24 bit in your car anyways

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble