The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-08-03, 03:50 PM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Location: between my owners legs, and someone else's too, USA
firewalled

so, I decided to download a few, and would like a decent ratio (which I'm sure uploading shows would help, will work on that later, I'd like to think having been a 'contributor thru others' as of late would forgive my errors here)

did the tester thingy, and it can't read the IP/blah blah (did that like a week ago)

99% sure it's Vista Business for an OS (didn't reboot to read the screen, I bought the laptop from an ex who I'm still friends with)

Windows Firewall is off, with NO way to turn it on (thru admin or otherwise)

and while Norton is on here, it's expired, and in the ex's name (though I'm still friends with her)

so, since I can't turn Windows Firewall on, there's no way to access the ports thru there.

and since I can't access the Norton, same problem.

anyhow, any idea how to get into port 80 to un-firewall it currently? or should I bite the bullet and ask the ex for the password/update Norton? (to me easier than subscribing myself). I spent about 4 hours on google and gave up, maybe my verbiage is incorrect when searching.

apologies for the ramblebabble.

-S
Old 2016-08-07, 01:55 PM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Re: firewalled

a'ight, I guess I won't worry about it, and will just make a donation.
Old 2016-08-07, 05:20 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

I've tried everything on my newer computer and I can't upload or download from here or dime. Computer is too protective. I use an old clunky PC for up/downloading most things
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-08-08, 01:54 AM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
I've tried everything on my newer computer and I can't upload or download from here or dime. Computer is too protective. I use an old clunky PC for up/downloading most things

yeah, this is an '08 laptop with Vista, and it's downloading fine. but it says "FIREWALLED" in the upper right corner.
Old 2016-08-08, 05:57 AM
519.26 GB/786.51 GB/1.51

yep ..firewalled is a pain in the ass. I had a shitload of issues myself a while back and managed to fix it despite not being of the younger generation lol.
If you cant access the settings on norton i`m guessing you will need to... to allow utorrent or whatever client you use to access the internet without restriction.
More than likely though the problem will be with your router and the firewall settings within that. I found finding the settings within the router and this worked. I know theres millions of brands of routers , but you would find a post on google that would help for sure.
Old 2016-08-08, 02:40 PM
pretty when I'm drunk
670.72 GB/635.78 GB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
yep ..firewalled is a pain in the ass. I had a shitload of issues myself a while back and managed to fix it despite not being of the younger generation lol.
If you cant access the settings on norton i`m guessing you will need to... to allow utorrent or whatever client you use to access the internet without restriction.
More than likely though the problem will be with your router and the firewall settings within that. I found finding the settings within the router and this worked. I know theres millions of brands of routers , but you would find a post on google that would help for sure.
yeah, I searched on Google, but even the MS "patches" (software updates) for such things work on EVERYthing but Vista (at least in the 2 hours I spent).

at least the ratio is going up a bit...hopping on hot torrents early, videos over audio, and of course uploading (once I figure out how, need to get/figure out a tracking program) would probably help as well, though if I'm firewalled, I assume that may somewhat impede my uploading stuff....feck.

one good note: the cpu shut down for being too hot, and when I rebooted, the MS Firewall screen popped up when I opened uTorrent, and asked if I should "approve" (wrong verbiage, I know) letting uTorrent thru, which I said "yes". so maybe I was able to somewhat fix it, and that's why over a GB was u/l'd last night (a lot more than any other period). the laptop is almost always on, so I have no issues there.
Old 2016-08-11, 03:59 PM
134.88 GB/447.31 GB/3.32

The Port Forward website is your friend. > http://portforward.com/
A great resource on the aforementioned port forwarding, firewalls, etc. and it should have instructions for specific routers and operating systems. Speaking from just my personal experience, I found that when I set a static IP address on my computer first and then dealt with the router, everything fell into place.
If I've presumed anything or this stuff is old news to you guys, my apologies.
Old 2016-08-22, 04:27 PM
TheWildOne
14.54 GB/78.45 GB/5.39

Thank you for this info. Currently struggling with the firewall issue.
Old 2016-08-31, 10:39 PM
10.25 TB/514.58 GB/0.05

Wow! I fought with this forever and then I explicitly added this to my Microsoft firewall settings and it went away. I am very interested to see what my upload speeds look like before declaring victory. If it works I will let everyone know and I will be happy to share my knowledge on th is. This ia wonderful development on this for me.
Old 2016-09-03, 06:09 AM
HOINFODALER
TTD VIP
158.69 GB/345.63 GB/2.18

i use to have no problems with fixing any firewall issues i had. then starting a few years ago i haven't been able to get it fixed. and yes i know about portfoward.com. doesn't matter. none of the info on there, that used to work, works now. but im somehow still able to upload/download with the same speeds as before, so i've stopped caring. firewalled 4 life.
Old 2016-09-04, 02:59 AM
Retired
131.67 GB/7.23 TB/56.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
i use to have no problems with fixing any firewall issues i had. then starting a few years ago i haven't been able to get it fixed. and yes i know about portfoward.com. doesn't matter. none of the info on there, that used to work, works now. but im somehow still able to upload/download with the same speeds as before, so i've stopped caring. firewalled 4 life.
I frequently get flagged as firewalled, but it doesn't make any difference to my upload/download speed or ratio so like you I ignore it.
Old 2016-09-04, 01:47 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.59

I've occasionally shown as firewalled here, for no apparent reason, and then will show as not firewalled the next time, despite making no setting changes.

Anyhow, if you look at the peers list on a popular torrent, the number of firewalled leechers is usually pretty high. However a lot of those people seem to have very nice ratios, so the firewall doesn't seem to be hurting them in any way.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble