The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-07-09, 09:08 PM
Who's the Masta???? Shonuff!!
968.56 GB/954.35 GB/0.99

Converting DVD to AVI

Hey all, I was just wondering what is the best program to use to go from a mini dvd to an avi so i can manipulate it in vegas. I am adding it as the second cam to a show. Thanks

The Dude abides
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-07-09, 09:27 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Re: Converting DVD to AVI

vegas can capture to avi
doubletake is a free vegas plugin for 2 cam mixing...if you need 3 or more cam mixing, then you will need to purchase the excalibur plugin...good luck and have fun!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-07-09, 09:37 PM
968.56 GB/954.35 GB/0.99

I don't have the camera for the mini dvd. So I have to use a different program to go from dvd>AVI I think? I downloaded DVD to AVI but it seems like it was gonna take forever. Any suggestions are much appreciated. And if there is a way to capture my dvd with vegas, i'd surely like to know about it. Thanks all

The Dude abides
Old 2006-07-09, 09:40 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

the capture will be real-time (ie if it is an 1.5 hr minidv, then it will take 1.5 hr for capture)
You can go firewire from your camera into your computer and capture using capture function in vegas...
feel free to post anymore questions

EDIT: I just now see that you are talking miniDVD....I'm not sure how converting to avi will help anything...it is my understanding that minidvd is in mpeg2 format which is dvd compliant format. converting to avi will not gain any resolution since it is already in compressed format...that's why I prefer minidv as opposed to minidvd

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-07-09, 09:48 PM
968.56 GB/954.35 GB/0.99

allright i guess i shouldve fully explained myself. Thanks for the help btw. I have a minidvd disk that is playable in a dvd player (video ts folder etc..) I need to get that onto vegas so i can mix it with my minidv footage from my minidv cam. I also prefer minidv. but i found someone that actually taped my band from the audience with his cam while i was shooting a static shot. So I just wanna mix the two angles. Just downloaded doubletake too and that looks like its gunna be some fun.

The Dude abides
Old 2006-07-09, 09:54 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauglife
allright i guess i shouldve fully explained myself. Thanks for the help btw. I have a minidvd disk that is playable in a dvd player (video ts folder etc..) I need to get that onto vegas so i can mix it with my minidv footage from my minidv cam. I also prefer minidv. but i found someone that actually taped my band from the audience with his cam while i was shooting a static shot. So I just wanna mix the two angles. Just downloaded doubletake too and that looks like its gunna be some fun.
ok, yes it is fun to do video mixing
vegas can import video_ts directly by selecting the individual vob files and dragging in, but in my experience, it usually doesn't synch up perfect that way...I usually convert to mpeg2 before dragging it into vegas by using tmpegdvda or other similar conversion, or you can convert to avi just the same...
Have fun...
Also, what is your band? Are you going to seed it here?

Old 2006-07-09, 10:05 PM
968.56 GB/954.35 GB/0.99

allright. Thanks for all the help. My band is eastbound and we play bluegrass\dead\paul simon\70's funk\anything cool. We also do some originals.
This particular show was a memorial day party we played at a Polish american Citizens club. Our bassplayer was MIA though so the show is missing somethin. But i taped it and i'm new to all this video editing so 2 cams sounds like fun to me. Thanks again for the help. I'll download that program and get goin on this. All you pros have helped me alot and I really appreciate it. Hopefully I have a good experience at 10klf in Minnesota in a couple weeks and can have a chance to seed some of my work. from your suggestions to other people I have a manfrotto tripod and head coming in the mail right now. Also just bought a 6 hour long battery and 10 80 min sony minidvs. I think I'm prepared http://www.photosuperia.com/sony-dvc...57a7f052be91b2 (good deal on tapes!)

The Dude abides

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble