The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-21, 08:21 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Defragging drives with shn/flac files?

Should I? Or will it harm them?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-21, 08:32 PM
Eater of Babies
5.95 GB/875.14 MB/0.14

Re: Defragging drives with shn/flac files?

I don't think defragmenting harms files, fairly sure anyway.
Old 2005-02-21, 08:34 PM
30.98 GB/42.38 GB/1.37

I've done it a few times and nothing is wrong with my files. My drive was up to like 70% fragmented so I figured I definitely needed it.
Old 2005-02-21, 08:36 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

it shouldn't harm them at all. i've done it before - when i desperately needed to do a defrag, and the files (SHNs/FLACs) verified OK after defragmenting the drive.

but, if you feel iffy about defragging with "important data" on your drive, maybe you should clear off the stuff (if possible) first. of course, that would make defragmenting your HD faster.

as an aside note, if you're a PC user (i don't know if you're on a Mac/PC) i suggest staying away from Windows built-in defragmenter, and using something like Diskeeper. it's much better for your HD, and MUCH faster than Windows built-in utility.

aside #2, something that works well for me is this: partitioning my HD, so i have the O/S on "C" drive, and have "D" and "E" drives for data only. i save downloaded torrents on the 'data' drives, and burn them off as quickly as possible. when i've saved everything i want/need to (onto CDR/DVDR), i simply format the D/E partitions (using Partition Magic). it's even faster than defragmenting, and from what i've read, better for the drive as well.
Old 2005-02-21, 08:51 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Nina,

Defragging can't harm your files. The process has a couple of failsafe checks built in, so even if your computer powers down in the middle of it, you won't lose any data.

I've had good results with the defrag util built into XP SP2, I think it's actually based on the Diskeeper engine.

The best way to deal with churning a lot of files is to install 2 hard drives, and keep one for the OS and Applications, and the other strictly for SHN/FLAC/DVD files. Also, make sure that any programs like NERO are writing their TEMP cache files to the Utility Drive, not the OS drive. Keeps fragmentation lower. This means that your computer will run faster and more efficiently, and the bus traffic on your IDE chain is more manageable, so you'll get better performance out of your IDE DVD Burner that you have on your secondary controller. You should NEVER have a burner and hard disk attached to the same controller channel....
Old 2005-02-21, 09:05 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

lol. Okay, here's the deal.

I too have just programs on my C drive and I've partitioned that into 2 drives. Here's what I got:

Drive 1 = 80gb 2 partitions
Drive 2 = 80gb 2 partitions
Drive 3 = 120gb 1 partition
Drive 4 = 250gb 4 partitions (external)
Drive 5 = 80gb 1 partition (external)

AND I STILL RUN OUT OF DISK SPACE!!! In fact there's about another 100gb of music I d/l onto my Mac which is only supposed to be used for my work project.

I need to archive faster! Anyone need a part time job? No pay but you get to play with my dogs. I'm too anal about it so it takes me too long. BUT on a positive note, I'm not as anal as RainDawg.

I'll have to look into the settings for the Nero and other program temp files.

Old 2005-02-21, 09:11 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Nina,

Defragging can't harm your files. The process has a couple of failsafe checks built in, so even if your computer powers down in the middle of it, you won't lose any data.

I've had good results with the defrag util built into XP SP2, I think it's actually based on the Diskeeper engine.

The best way to deal with churning a lot of files is to install 2 hard drives, and keep one for the OS and Applications, and the other strictly for SHN/FLAC/DVD files. Also, make sure that any programs like NERO are writing their TEMP cache files to the Utility Drive, not the OS drive. Keeps fragmentation lower. This means that your computer will run faster and more efficiently, and the bus traffic on your IDE chain is more manageable, so you'll get better performance out of your IDE DVD Burner that you have on your secondary controller. You should NEVER have a burner and hard disk attached to the same controller channel....

Mr Wazooz,
I know you are the fucking expert on everything, with that said.
I started defragging a 200 gb Maxtor 7200 with Disk Keeper, had a power outage, machine would not boot, hung up, had to unplug that drive.
Tried running scan disk, Norton, Etc, Etc, kept getting error, disk is in use by a utility, such as defrag.
Ran Maxtor's utilities, gave error "could not read drive"
Tried to reformat it from Maxtor's Boot Disk, Could not format, not enought memory.
Finally Got it formated using MaxBlast CD.
But this drive was doing something all the time it was hooked up, got hot as hell, I had to unplug it just so it wouldn't melt down.
So, unless you are the Super Genius you want ppl to think you are, don't give advice, unless you have encountered the things you want to express your super ego about.
Old 2005-02-21, 09:14 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Yeah well, Maxtor sux0rs.

Old 2005-02-21, 09:16 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Yeah well, Maxtor sux0rs.
I disagree, running 6 of them.
The one that I had to format due to Disk Keeper is fine now also, I just made it my Jerry Backup
Old 2005-02-21, 10:55 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepElem
Finally Got it formated using MaxBlast CD.
But this drive was doing something all the time it was hooked up, got hot as hell, I had to unplug it just so it wouldn't melt down.
man that is strange although I have seen similar situations where drives are locked by programs that fail to reset system flags after abnormal termination. Max Blast is a POS in my opinion as are most vendor supplied drive utilities and I never would have considered trying it in that situation but I'm glad you were able to fix things with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-02-22, 06:40 AM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

DeepElem,

Fortunately (for me), I'll never have the experience of being at your house to defrag a drive.

The forum is called TECHNOBABBLE. I suggest that you learn how to be polite and RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. Cursing me out only shows your own ignorance.
Old 2005-02-22, 06:55 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

DeepElem,
Your technobabbble post was completely uncalled for, nonsensical, and nonsequiter. Personal comments of this nature may have no place in this forum, and I expect that you understand the reasons and respect them.

Wazoo may not be a "super genius", but he's one of the more experienced and intelligent posters we have to this forum. Your sarcasm makes you ignorant.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-02-22, 10:35 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Fortunately (for me), I'll never have the experience of being at your house to defrag a drive.
Wanna come to my house for a little defragging?

Old 2005-02-22, 10:52 AM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Wanna come to my house for a little defragging?

Nice thought Nina, but I know you'll only ask me Avid questions...
Old 2005-02-22, 11:01 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

off topic, but according to Murphy's law, i think if the power goes off while you're doing something on the computer then something like ALL of your important data is gone. completely.

feralicious - looks liks someone needs to take a little break from downloading, hmm? at least long enough to clear off *one* of their numerous physical hard drives. i'm sure this anonymous person i'm referring to has been doing the classic burn a disc right before s/he goes to bed, and burn another right when s/he wakes up. i know it's not much, but that's clearing off 8 GB or so a day (if s/he archives data on blank dvds).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble